writing longer works

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Boy, it took me a while to realise that the longer erotic story must be designed, so that the plot requires rather than fights ongoing erotic material. I just finished a synopsis for what may be my first erotic romance at novel length that is in the higher ratings of sexual content.

If I just write a plot with some sex it tends to either be slow to start or start hot and then taper off throughout much of th middle. now i have predeigned a quick meeting and on going connection and then a breif separation before an extended sexy end. Hell, I hope this works...

Domantic

the plot needs to allow for it to happen. one of the characters might be having second thoughts, or be completely oblivious. or maybe one of the characters is fighting themselves, because it might be inapropriate.
a shortstory doesnt have much of a plot, more sort of a setting, rather than an intriquite sceme built over a longer period of time. to explain, a short story can be set in a bar, where 2 characters meet, and they might be dancing around each other(i mean figuratively), hotly or otherwise, untill they meet up in bed. in a longer novel the plot should also stand alone , so you can always have something going on, rather than have to invent new things to happen for the book to remain interesting. and then the characters can pick and choose what they want to do, in bed or out of it. maybe one of the characters works at a bar, who meets people all the time, and dance with them all the time, but in the end go to bed alone. untill they meet the other main character, who then dance with each other once in a while, untill they end up in bed, and maybe the other main character gets jealous and wants the former to give up their job at the bar, and then romance becomes the main point of the story, but not quite, at the same time.

yes it will work. it is a good idea. start with something hot to hook the reader, then an ongoing relationship to keep the reader interested to the end, and end with a good closer.
keeping it romantic, i think means to focus on the people, rather than what they are doing. maybe the people change, that could keep it interesting, or maybe the situation around them changes. but dont do what i do.. change the type of romantic relationship to keep it interesting.
i dont have the patience for longer stories. maybe because mine are lousy;)

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your novel!

I have an idea for a longer work, but so far it is merely an idea. :)

Last edited:

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
Early on I definitely thought my work would be too short, but I added several characters around my leads, and I've been able to refer to their sexual practices to keep things going. I hope! Actually I wanted to get some of it typed soon and maybe I should dare the Share section?

Egats!