PDA

View Full Version : October Challenge - Write Every Day!

Pages : [1] 2

Magnus
09-29-2018, 01:20 AM
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision, editing, research -- all writing habits welcome!)

The basic idea is that repeating something daily, even if only for a short time, will build a habit that becomes stronger over time.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Post your goals, if you like, or just check in when you can!

Here are some tips:

Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. To build a habit, doing something is more important than quantity or quality.
Keep up the habit as many days in the week as possible – even if it's just a few sentences or a bit of editing. It reinforces the habit and makes it easier to get started.
Mix it up – Try different types of goals, different times of the day, different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, not someone else.
Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit and you'll always be facing new challenges. Get used to constantly adapting and you'll be better prepared for whatever problem comes up next.
Don't give up because you didn't hit your goal – When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar - doing something is better than doing nothing). If you share your stumbles in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And sometimes, it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or have scheduled days "off". Whatever works for you!

Good luck, and see you on October 1st!

Layla Nahar
09-29-2018, 04:27 PM
I'm in. I want to be able to write *and* keep dealing with Life because in the past when Life got heavy, writing went out the window. Three is the magic #; to that end, as usual my 3 items per day (and one optional skip day per week):

WIP - add words to my WIP
Responsibility/Self-care - one action in this category
$$ - one action that will lead to having more income streams and a greater ratio of money to time working

And thank you to Magnus for coming up with this challenge and keeping it going.

Danica
09-29-2018, 08:15 PM
Magnus, Layla, I'm in too. I want to try writing every day.

Magnus, I've read a part of your story on Patreon, about introverts and extroverts. It's really good!

Pterofan
09-29-2018, 09:22 PM
Sure, why not? I've got the "write every day" part down, no problem. It's dealing with procrastination and increasing productivity that I need to work harder at. I came up with a new plan this morning, so we'll see how it works for October.

Goals for October: I want to write a series for a romance publisher, and finish Book 1 by the end of the month. To that end, I'll be aiming for 1000 words (minimum) per day. I figure 1000 words x 31 days = 31,000 words by October 31, which is a decent length for a romance ebook. I already have some backup stories I can jump over to if the book gets stuck, so I'll be able to make progress on something. Always have a Plan B. And a Plan C, D, and E, in case the procrastination gets really bad.

Magnus
09-30-2018, 11:15 PM
Magnus, Layla, I'm in too. I want to try writing every day.

Magnus, I've read a part of your story on Patreon, about introverts and extroverts. It's really good!

Thanks! :hooray:I'm working on a rewrite now as I'm turning into a serial. The new first part will be up in a week or two.

Magnus
09-30-2018, 11:18 PM
Right, I'm going to get back in here because it's nice to hang out with everyone here.

I'm going to turn the challenge around on itself, though (always trying new things, I am). I'll just report in what I've done in regards to reading and writing every day. No goals, just a matter of keeping a record, and also dropping by to say hi.

Layla -- Nice to see you're getting good use out of this! I'm pretty sure you're one of the top posters in these threads by now :)

WGough
10-01-2018, 01:30 AM
Thanks for starting the thread, Magnus.

October Goals
Now that the first/exploratory drafts of Books I - IV are done, I've got some serious revising to do. The learning curve is steep seeing as this is my first swing at novels, so we'll see how it goes.

From the top, revise Book I. Experiment: 1) revise from a printed copy, 2) run revisions through an editing app, 3) only cry on days with a "u" in them, 4) keep whining on this thread to a minimum

Good luck, folks. Happy October!

Deadeyemouse
10-01-2018, 02:01 AM
I'm new here and all, but I'm in. it is this sort of pressure and sense of accountability that makes me work. I get to move on the 1st (tomorrow), but after it is back to the book with only two days off to have taken care of the move.

October Goals
-Keep up on the weekly goal of 8k words per week (started at 1600 per day, but some off days kind of threw that as I also have other projects outside of writing interfering, but 8k a week is reasonable as I hit that this last month with interest)
-Actually remember to check in on this thread at least 5 times a week with updates.
-Don't cry.
-If I do cry, edit the crying until its at least funny.

Good luck, everyone!

JJMac
10-01-2018, 02:33 AM
Well, I need to sit in my chair and write. I need accountability and support. Two things I don't have in my life. I'm starting small with 2 goals.

Goal 1. To write a minimum of 50 words a day.

Goal 2. To read a minimum of one page a day.

Hopefully, by keeping it small and not setting an unrealistic goal for myself, I can keep the anxiety monster from sneaking up on me.

And already, I have that snarky voice in my head telling me I can't do this.

Just breathe! :eek:

Good luck to everyone else!

DanielSTJ
10-01-2018, 02:52 AM
Thank you again Magnus for keeping this going. It's SO helpful for me to work as a team in this-- it makes me feel like a part of something. :)

I'm getting better at writing each day. My overall word count was low last month so I want to bring it back up. No goals, as someone else mentioned, but I want to try again at writing every day.

This means, for someone like me, not partying at all and-- if I do drink, to keep it to 3/4's of a bottle of wine when I do imbibe or less. I want to do this.

STILL working on quitting smoking, but I'm doing it slowly.

Good luck everyone! This month will be good for us I think.

P.S. Isn't it great that, while I change towns in April/May, I still have all of you around? :D

KayMitch
10-01-2018, 06:30 AM
As always I'm in. My goal will still be set low. Just 500 words a day, but we shall see if I'm capable.

kmarcks
10-01-2018, 08:50 AM
I'm gonna start small with a goal of 100 words/day.

Kithica
10-01-2018, 09:12 AM
I'm in! My primary goal is to write every single day. I've also been doing well with setting word count goals for the month, so in October, my goal is to have a net gain of at least 15K words. I'm hoping this is realistic around what is looking to be a nutty work schedule.

Cindyt
10-01-2018, 11:34 AM
I'm in. My goals are to write every day, continue reading through the historical, and meet my op ed deadlines.

Taylor Harbin
10-01-2018, 06:16 PM
My goals are thus:

1) Write every day, even if it doesn’t go anywhere, even if it’s only in my journal. Between stories I will use prompts to spark something, no matter if they peeter out or result in a new story. Stretch those muscles, keep the words flowing.

2) Edit a story I finished last week. Final pass on Story #2.

3) Begin research for my next novel, but at a relaxing, deliberate pace so I can take notes and absorb what I’m reading. This will take a while so why rush it? Good study nownwill make the writing easier and help me flesh out ideas.

4) Keep submitting, painful as it is.

KitKate
10-01-2018, 08:30 PM
I really want to stick to a writing routine. Mon to Wed - 500 on current WiP, day off on Thursdays because that's my long day at work. Fridays will be editing day. 1000 Saturdays and Sundays.

Day one: 500 words - check.

Jason
10-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Alright - it's Monday, it's the 1st of the month, I'll have a bit of a pressure relief valve starting next week, so that means only 4 days where I'm gonna hafta either wake up early or stay up late.

Word count goal = 500/day

April Swanson
10-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Hello oldies, newbies, and thanks again Magnus for starting this thread :) As usual, I have no goal, no plan (in life or in this thread). I just like to hang out here :hi:

I did hee-haw over the weekend (but that was September so it MATTERS NOT) and today got off to a real rocky start, but then, by some manner of witchcraft, I wrote 5k. AND I don't think all of it is complete dreck. Hurray! Well done, October, you're off to a good start.

(Seriously though, how is it October?)

Day 1: Flying Unicorns!; 6 miles; RSI be damned

Pterofan
10-01-2018, 09:40 PM
Hey there, everybody! Welcome back! Or just plain welcome, if this is your first time.

Day 1 - 160 words (so far)

Not an auspicious beginning, I know. Beating deeply-ingrained procrastination habits doesn't happen overnight. On the upside, those words went toward that pesky scene I was dealing with most of last month. Maybe my goal for the month should be "seriously rethink my choice to write explicit romance." (Sure, I could write "sweet" romance, but everybody wants to read the hot parts.) :e2brows:

I'll be devoting the evening to writing another 900 words. Dunno what it'll be yet.

WGough - I like that idea of only crying on days with a u in them. At the rate I'm going today, Tuesday's gonna be a weepfest.

Magnus
10-01-2018, 11:10 PM
Day 1
Went to the café and worked on my main project, which is giving me some trouble but needs wrangling this week as I've promised to post the first part to my Patreon in the next few weeks. I also wrote a bunch of stuff for some RPG prep, which is nice because it's low pressure (it doesn't really get shown to anyone, but still involves a creative process).

I'll finish Provenance by Ann Leckie today before bed, and I'm nearly finished with The Art of Creative Thinking by Rod Jenkins. I'm making my way through a re-read of The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula K LeGuin, and though I loved it the first time around, I can better appreciate the stories now as I feel much more able to interpret the deeper meanings I think LeGuin intended to give them. I'm also re-reading Lisa Cron's Wired For Story, which I recommend for any writer, ever.
--
Welcome Deadeyemouse and all other challengers, new and old! JJMac, starting small is a wise choice. You can do it!

We can all do it!

Taylor Harbin
10-02-2018, 12:29 AM
Day 1: did a page of a writing prompt but lost interest; couldn’t get the books I need from the library, so o rented a documentary instead and took some notes

JJMac
10-02-2018, 12:38 AM
Day 1: I didn't think I'd manage it today. I've procrastinated lots and deliberately avoided thinking about accomplishing my goals. It took a lot of effort. In a way, I'm amazed and disgusted with myself for it taking so much to talk myself into sitting in the chair and writing 50 words. And I counted every single word and once I hit 50 I stopped.

Now going to read one page of a book.

So disappointed in myself. Not giving up though.

I hope everyone else is reaching their goals.

Good luck for tomorrow.

And Magnus, thank you for the encouragement.

WGough
10-02-2018, 04:04 AM
Day 1
Finished fiddling with Book IV, 364 words. Revising Book I on paper. Reviewed, made notes ~3K words. Oh, the work this thing needs!

April: Well, your October is off to a fantastic start. 5K words! Good gad!

Pterofan: Ugh, I worked on a love scene today, too. Started out thinking it was going to be super-explicit. Got tired.

Magnus: Nice progress. Way to read.

Taylor: Way to research.

JJMac: Hey, you made your goals! Nice work.

Welcome to all the new folks. Let's do this.

Jason
10-02-2018, 04:48 AM
Hey, I made it to 500 for day 1! It's ugly, but it's done...lol

Layla Nahar
10-02-2018, 05:06 AM
Kit - congrats on those words and hitting your goal

April - whoa. Wait - what? 5K dang gurrl! You've been smoking from Gough's pipe, I see ;)

Nice work Ptero :)

Magnus - congrats on that cafe wrangling & all the other productivity

Taylor, sounds good - the blank page lost and you won

JJ - that's fantastic. Congrats on BIC-ing, congrats on getting those words on the page!

Gough - way to keep the pace - finish IV, start editing I. Excellent!

All right Jason. That's off to a great start

Day 1

WIP - 1/4 page
R/SC - earning service
$$ - some research on the indy project

DanielSTJ
10-02-2018, 07:24 AM
Good start for me: 885.

Good work everyone-- especially April. We can do this.

Cindyt
10-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Day 1

New Words - 1412

Kitkate - WTG on 500 words!

Jason - Good word count start!

JJMac - 50 words are awesome when the total could be 0, and reading is important.

Layla - Congrats on the ¼ page!

WGough - Good start for October!

Daniel - Good start indeed

April - 5K! Wow!

Jason - WTG! Ugly is better than a blank page you can’t pretty up.

I wanted to read a chapter in my historical but by the time I stopped writing I was like meh.

kmarcks
10-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Only managed 117 words, so on to day two.

Magnus
10-02-2018, 10:43 PM
Day 2
Been feeling a bit off so I've resorted to reading and staying physically active. I finished Provenance and The Art of Creative Thinking, and I've started Nudge by Thaler & Sunstein and a Shadowrun short story anthology to give me some feeling and ideas for my upcoming RPG plans. Feels okay, but tomorrow there needs to be lots of writing and revision!

JJMac -- You hit your goal! I know how it feels like to have to drag yourself through tasks that feel like they should be simple. Believe me, keep at it and it WILL get easier with time. So celebrate the success!

Keep at it, everyone! ;)

April Swanson
10-02-2018, 10:49 PM
Pterofan: What’s your procrastination vice? The internet? If so, a browser-blocker can work wonders. Or put your phone in a different room. (That’s what I have to do, Ms No Self Control.)

Magnus: Good to have you back. I’m also in the middle of Earthsea. This, shamefully, is my first time reading it. Thanks for the craft book recs.

Taylor: That page is still practice.

JJ: Don’t be so hard on yourself – if this was easy, everyone would be doing it. It’s incredibly difficult to stay self-motivated. Sometimes it is a real effort to write 50 words. But 50 words is better than no words. Seriously.

WGough: Eeee good luck with revision! I too find it much easier to revise on paper. Computer-editing is the worst.

Jason: Most days it ain’t pretty. Good job hitting that goal!

Layla: That was my reaction too. Though I think the fumes are going to my head…

Great start, Daniel! October’s gonna be a good ‘un. I can feel it in ma waters.

Cindyt: Woo, another awesome start!

kmarcks: They all add up :)

My brain did not want to work this morning. Think yesterday drained my neural reserves. And then I felt like death until about 4pm, but THEN I managed to write 3k, so overall it’s not so bad. I’m away this weekend and want to hit 15k in the manuscript before then (I started over for the millionth time this week), so I’ve got two days to get another 7k. Meep!

Day 2: Decent bit; 6.5 miles; apple crumble for Bake Off, baby!

starrystorm
10-03-2018, 12:20 AM
DAY 1-- Wrote 103 words on paper.
DAY 2-- Edited 623 words

Taylor Harbin
10-03-2018, 12:36 AM
I have concluded that video games aren’t good for me. Too much time invested, too much frustration. I’ve only done editing today because I lacked the discipline to work harder. Bad start to the month.

Pterofan
10-03-2018, 01:30 AM
Taylor and April - we're in the same boat. I could not get myself going today. I played video games instead. My vice is the games that came with the laptop (FreeCell, Solitaire, etc.) I can't block them or delete them. I even asked the guys at the computer store and they said the games can't be uninstalled without messing up the hard drive. Although I don't think it's the games, because I've been "clean" for weeks at a time and don't produce any extra writing. I watch TV or read. The games are just an excuse, a symptom of a deeper problem. If I could root that out and deal with it, I might be okay.

Damn, that got a little deep there. There's nothing on TV tonight, so I think I'll drink some chocolate milk, scribble some words longhand (no games in the notebook), get a good night's sleep and try again in the morning.

Cindyt
10-03-2018, 01:32 AM
I steer clear of video games.

Jason
10-03-2018, 03:07 AM
Day 2: 527 words, and a possible contender for a longer story has emerged from my subconscious. Amazing what happens when you put a butt in a chair and eliminate distractions! :)

Oddly, I am also pretty tired today, so maybe physical fatigue has spurred mental sparks...

Hmmm, mental sparks, that gives me an idea for Day 3 :)

Is there a sub-forum thread for sharing these days of writing snippets?

Deadeyemouse
10-03-2018, 03:10 AM
Day 1: Bust, it was moving day and that took me all of it followed by sleep. Still feels bad to have missed a day.
Day 2: catching up at work has been fun, but I found time during my lunch to get 301 words down. Will probably lock myself in my closet to do more. As is my usual tactic.

Layla Nahar
10-03-2018, 03:14 AM
Daniel - nice work, definitely getting back in to the swing of it :)

Cindy - 1412 new words sounds great

Kmarks - 117 words is great :)

Magnus - hope you got some good inspiration

April - yer a champeen! (mmmm apple crumble….)

Hey Starry - nice work!

Taylor, nice work on the editing

Ptero. Chocolate milk!! Winning

Day 2

WIP ~1/2 page (maybe 1/3? kind of hard to tell.)
R/SC - earning service; got an return label for an online purchase that didn't work
$$ - indy project research

DanielSTJ
10-03-2018, 05:53 AM
Long day, and I have a chemistry test tomorrow, but I still managed 238 words.

Good luck to everyone! I'll have time to write, read and catch up tomorrow.

I'm going to try and hit at least 900 words tonight, but they'll be quick ones and not my best-- but they're better than nothing.

I steer clear of video games.

Agreed.

I also stay clear of television. I only watch movies that I feel have artistic merit as well-- no garbage.

*UPDATE*

766. Good enough.

kmarcks
10-03-2018, 06:42 AM
I'm calling it a day at 240 words, better than 117 yesterday. I have to go down to where I work for a little bit and will probably write some more when I get home,but that will be after midnight.

The good news is that I was able to get past a little bit of a sticky point today, and I'm pretty sure what's going on for the rest of my current chapter so I should be able to do much more tomorrow.

Cindyt
10-03-2018, 07:57 AM
I also stay clear of television. I only watch movies that I feel have artistic merit as well-- no garbage.

. My TV was stolen in 2012, and I never replaced it. I watch Netflix and Prime Video classic movies and TV without letting it interfere with my writing.

Deadeyemouse
10-03-2018, 08:08 AM
DAY 2 UPDATE: After some more unpacking after work, I did like I said and sat in my closet with my laptop to edit a word count I didn't track and write a total of 908 words for the day.

Not too bad. Just didn't have it in me to go further and I'm pretty sure I'll have a bit to edit from it.

Cindyt
10-03-2018, 09:02 AM
Day 2

New Words - 579

Historical Read Through: 4 Chapters

Kmarcks - Good job!

Layla - WTG on ½ page!

Daniel - 766 is large!

April - Good job! I’m usually more productive when I must force myself to write.

Jason - Good job! Good luck with the contender.

Deadeyemouse - WTG!

Historical, Dress Her in Chameleon: Started prepping chapters to print for the hardcopy reading.

Auto, Nothing Like a Birth to Start a Feud Unless It’s a Funeral: I begin the year 2000 and the joys and tragedy of my courtship and marriage.

Taylor Harbin
10-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Day 3: Much more productive. Got started on a new prompt and did half a page or so. I'm determined to keep writing on this one until I have the frame of a complete story, however flawed and nonsensical it might be; no more stopping just because it gets tough in a given paragraph.

Pterofan
10-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Day 2 - 304

The block persists. I'm going to have to switch back over to longhand for a while and avoid the laptop completely.

Magnus
10-03-2018, 11:36 PM
Day 3
This user's brain cannot be reached. Try again tomorrow.

JJMac
10-04-2018, 12:00 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your encouragement.

Day 2. I completely forgot to report in. I managed 52 words! Yay. Go Team JJ. I read a lot. Currently reading Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking.

Day 3. Well, everything just went sideways. No, actually, it didn't. I had a wobble and made up lots of excuses about how I would write once my list of to-do things was completed. The sad part is I know I gave myself a long list specifically so I would destroy my confidence and revert back to my "can't do" attitude. Honestly, given a choice between writing 50 words or scraping out the smelly cat litter tray...

Yeah, you all know I picked the litter tray. :gaah

Please let tomorrow be better.

Sending encouragement to you all. You are such good people and I know you'll all do well.

WGough
10-04-2018, 03:00 AM
Day 2
Edited one chapter on paper. Cut, cut, cut. Added a transition chapter.
Day 3
Edited one chapter on paper. Rearranged some flashback scenes. Started reading The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers by Betsy Lerner. Don't you just love the name Betsy?

Jason: Great word count.

Layla: Let's call it a half. Congrats.

Daniel: Way to go.

Cindyt: Outstanding.

Kmarks: Steady on.

Magnus: Stupid brain.

April: 3K is incredible. No jinxes.

starrystorm: Way to write and edit.

Taylor: Way to keep at it. Great attitude.

Pterofan: Nice word counts! When I think I'd rather do something other than writing, I ask myself, "What am I willing to give up to be a writer?" However one defines "writer." Might not be the best motivation, but it works for me. Good luck!

Deadeyemouse: Way to work your writing into your life. I need to do that more often.

JJMac: At least you're aware of your self-sabotage. 52 words is nothing to sneeze at.

Glad to see everyone keeping on.

starrystorm
10-04-2018, 03:11 AM
Day 3

Finished the last few paragraphs and polished up chapter 19 (whew, that took a lot longer than I thought.)
Got maybe 70 words into chapter 20, but then started research.

Sigh, I found one thing on the Internet saying that if a person's falling, that it would kill them to land in someone's arms, which was a problem since I just finished a scene where someone falls and lands in a flying person's arms. Flash forward an hour and a half later and I've researched everything about catching a falling person mid-air and the longest fall someone has survived from.

KayMitch
10-04-2018, 03:18 AM
Well in the last 3 days I haven't gotten any NEW writing done, but I've been revising my finished project which I badly need to do. I've finished revising 2 chapters which is around 8.3k words so I feel accomplished.

Jason
10-04-2018, 03:27 AM
Day 1
The first day of the challenge, I came in right at 500 words, and the scene is a character with pain that is burning through his veins and arteries, so I naturally titled it "Veins of Fire"

Day 2
I must admit I was struggling initially to come up with anything, as my mind kept going back to continuing the "Veins of Fire" scene. Then another alternate scene presented itself where there's the aftermath of a "sun that dropped from the sky", leaving everything burned. However, the rivers continued to burn as on character discovered this "vein of fire."

Day 3
I've now really pulled a rabbit out of the hat, and taken the "vein of fire" to the Nth degree. So, the newest scene also uses this catch phrase, but now, it's the transmission of a knowledge set from one person to another through a "vein of fire" that occurs when character 1 touches their forehead to character 2, the knowledge is able to leap from one to the other and the "veins" are the synaptic pathways! :)

Word count = 1273!

Layla Nahar
10-04-2018, 04:56 AM
Daniel - congrats on the 238 and good luck with your test - oh, wait 766 - excellent!

kmarks - congrats on that 240

mouse - excellent - way to go on the 908

Nice work, Cindy (I got rid of my TV when Enterprise went off the air… no Star Trek - no need for TV)

Glad to hear things are better Taylor

Ptero - 304 words is still great

Magnus! Good to see you :)

JJMac - I've been in the struggling-to-write-50-words ghetto. I let it got down to one sentence.

Gough - editing. You're a hero. (I like that her last name is Lerner. Seems good for a teacher ;) )

Starry - still sounds like some good work - interesting research

K - another revising hero. Keep up the good work

Nice productivity, Jason.

Day 3

WIP ~1/2 page
R/SC - earning service; a few chores;
$$ - indy project research

veeery tired these days...

xenylic
10-04-2018, 05:19 AM
This month, I'm trying to get back in form, because I admit I got really complacent in September. I can do a lot better. I'm aiming for another blog post (as always), and at least two posts every week for the whole month on writing progress, whether there is any or isn't any. Hopefully that'll restore a bit of accountability in my goals.

Today I kicked the month off well with a solid 1,180 words. Unfortunately, it was a class assignment, so no progress on my manuscript, but it was a creative piece, so it's a step above a paper. It felt extremely refreshing to indulge in some fresh, random material that didn't involve my current projects whatsoever. However, I know my limits, and the next writing I'll do (aiming for tomorrow afternoon), I'll be back on Book #2. I've been coming back to the document more and more frequently, and the distractions are weakening. I feel a breakthrough around the corner.

Anyway, welcome back old writing buddies, and hello to the new ones! I hope you all have a very writerly October :D

Kithica
10-04-2018, 08:20 AM
Pterofan - Minesweeper is my downfall. Mostly these days I play on my phone while watching TV, which has kept it away from my writing time. Switching to longhand is a great idea. I often swap between devices or writing programs when I'm blocked. The different writing environment often helps. You could also try jotting ideas down point form until things start flowing.

Deadeyemouse - you are my hero for being able to write at all around a move. I used to move twice a year and it SUCKS. So you have my sympathies!

Cindyt - yay new words!

Taylor - yay new prompt!

JJMac - well done on your 52 words! and maybe switch up what you're writing? Is there some fun fanfic or comic or something that you would have more fun writing that could bribe yourself with while you build the habit?

WGough - heroic editing! well done!

starrystorm - if the catching person can slowly decelerate them in mid-air instead of a hard stop, it wouldn't kill them. I have no idea if that's helpful. Hurray for finishing chapter 19!!

KatMitch - revising totally counts. It's writer time spent with your story. Well done!!

Jason - impressive word count!! that's great!!

I have managed to write every day (which was my goal), although word counts were very small on days one and two. Day one was a lot of revision, and I was being gentle on myself, because I was feeling burnt out after a really tough week. Day two was epic at work (we mixed theatre and film - do not try this at home), but I sat down at midnight and wrote 70 words before bed basically just so I could say that I had. Day three was much better. 745 net gain today. I'm getting back into the swing of things.

DanielSTJ
10-04-2018, 08:59 AM
627 yesterday-- technically. ;)

Three in a row, go for one more.... :)

kmarcks
10-04-2018, 10:07 AM
I thought I had posted for day 3 but I guess not. 310 words, less than I had hoped.

April Swanson
10-04-2018, 01:11 PM
starrystorm: Nice work. Also, Superman definitely rescued Lois in mid air, so I say boo to the internet.

Taylor: I’m on the other side: I wish I liked video games more! I absolutely love Dragon Age and Zelda, but I don’t finish a lot of games because the story doesn’t pull me in.

Pterofan: Ah, I remember Solitaire! That game is so addictive. I used to like Spider Solitaire too (but not the name :( ). Sorry you’re still blocked. Longhand is definitely a good approach to undo it.

Jason: Awesome! I now have Ring of Fire stuck in my head :P

Deadeye: One missed day won’t harm anyone :) 908 is awesome!

Layla: Yay 1 page! I have a pair of jeans sitting in a bag that need to go back. Can you come and do it for me please?

Daniel: I’m a movie buff too. I mostly avoid the dreck, but I will go to see a few summer blockbusters. I actually find I learn just as much from watching the bad ones!

kmarcks: Hurrah for pushing past the sticky bit!

Cindyt: Great stuff :) Good luck with the auto! Agreed – Betsy is a great name. Especially for a car.

JJ: Oh, Day 3 sounds very familiar! I’ve read endless books trying to figure out why my brain is such an ass. Still searching for the answer.

KayMitch: Yay for feeling accomplished! That’s a lot of revision for 3 days.

xenylic: Yay! Glad you’re feeling more in the groove.

Kithica: Any words on a tough day is a massive win. And 745 on any day is another big win :)

Well, I’m stuck again. Gosh, isn’t writing so fun?

:e2hammer:

Can’t remember how much I wrote yesterday, but I do know it was circular shaped. I’m taking today off to read and go to the cinema and do anything but think about this bloody book, and then I’m away up north for the weekend, where hopefully the fresh air and wine can wipe my brain clean.
See ye next week, folks. Have a good yin.

Day 3: Wee bit; 9 miles; hysterical laughter

Taylor Harbin
10-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Wrote 3/4 of a page on the new prompt. It’s all so random but I’m somehow still going. Inserted some edits into a different story, so first round complete.

Pterofan
10-04-2018, 10:33 PM
Day 3 - roughly a page longhand. Maybe 400-500 words

Following my whiny post yesterday, I got so disgusted with my own excuses I drove over to a different library (for a change of scenery) and wrote longhand in a notebook for almost an hour. Plus it was devoted to that love scene that's been blocking me. Take that, excuses! Amazing how powerful a motivator self-loathing can be.

Yes, Superman can catch someone in midair without causing damage because, well, because he's Superman. Batman can do the same because he's the goddamn Batman. I would not want to be rescued in midair by the Human Torch. I'm holding out for Thor. :e2brows:

Layla - I hear ya. I'm waiting for Supernatural to go off the air before I cut ties with cable. It just keeps getting renewed ...

Cindyt
10-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Day 3

New Words - 370

Historical Read Through: 2 Chapters

JJMac - Don’t beat yourself up. Everyone has days like that. I’ve had weeks of them.

WGough - Your day sounds a bit like mine.

Kithica - Congrats for reaching your goal and for the 745 words!

April - Have fun!

My new word count was edited into the historical. I didn’t draft on the auto, I reformatted the parts. I meant to do one section per day, but I could not stop. And it’s done, except for making sure every scene is in it’s proper division. Then I watched Hostiles on Netflix. Set in the 1890s, it was about a US cavalryman and Cheyenne chief who come to terms with their acts of war. I don’t consider it a waste of time.

Magnus
10-05-2018, 12:48 AM
Day 3 and 4
Yesterday was a bit shit, feeling the threat of a depression so had to pull the break and deal with that -- which I did! Despite starting off completely on the wrong foot, I turned it around by taking a long walk (13km), which brought me back before it was too late. But besides a little reading, nothing else.

Today I've taken some notes and I've read a fair bunch, but it's still a poor showing. I need to work on my short story draft, make the revised version flow and sort out the problems. So that's the goal for tomorrow.

Pterofan -- I know what you mean. Sometimes I get so sick of my own excuses that it fuels my productivity. I'll take it.

Keep it up, everyone!

Jason
10-05-2018, 03:27 AM
Haven't done Day 4 yet - long day at work (and still going - just don't tell the student still lingering :) )

Layla Nahar
10-05-2018, 04:36 AM
Xen! Good to see you & glad to hear you got the month off to a good start. Hope you enjoyed that break and welcome back.

Kithica - congrats on writing something everyday - and on being gentle with yourself. For some reason that can be so hard…

Nice, Daniel!

kmarks - congrats on writing!

April - have a good break (wait - you go north? Where is there to go - you already north)

Taylor, way to keep the words going!

Nice work, Ptero. Glad to hear the words are flowing.

Cindy, count me impressed with those who are revising. (& that series sounds interesting)

Hey Magnus - congrats on keeping on - hope you have a fun day of it tomorrow :)

Keep at it, Jason!

Day 4
WIP 3/4 page :)
R/SC - chores, errands, & some crafting - and a walk in the woods & a quick (brisk!) dip in the lake
$$ - indy project - research & started work on a new writing exercise

WGough
10-05-2018, 04:38 AM
Day 4
Revised 3 chapters on paper. Writing "rewrite" in the margins of every paragraph is revising, right? Read a few chapters of Self-Editing for Fiction Writers

starrystorm: I think if you have a flying character, the rules of physics may be bent to support catching a falling person. Just saying.

KayMitch: Way to kick revising. It's killing me.

Jason: Great word count and concept. Congrats.

Layla: Wow, that's a productive day. I'm green.

xenylic: Nice word count. I'm pulling for that breakthrough!

Kithica: Way to avoid the burn out. Your hectic life makes me feel lazy.

Daniel: Great job. You're on it.

kmarcks: 310 is totally respectable. Way to beat the blank page.

April: Have a safe trip. Refresh, refresh, refresh.

Taylor: Way to write and edit. Wish I had that brain.

Pterofan: Way to beat down your procrastination. I'm listening to Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology. Yes to Thor.

Cindyt: What a great day! I've decided anything I watch counts as research.

Magnus: Wow, that's an amazing catch. Good for you.

Tomorrow is Friday, "named after the Germanic goddess Frigga, wife of the supreme god Odin and goddess of married love." Thor!

Cindyt
10-05-2018, 06:46 AM
Day 4

New Words - 1339

Historical Read Through: 1 honking long chapter

Layla - It was a movie and very interesting. Congrats of ¾ page!

WGough - Any medium that expands the mind is research as far as I’m concerned. Revising is revising no matter where the pencil or key may fall.

DanielSTJ
10-05-2018, 07:53 AM
1408 today.

I'm going to have a great long weekend and catch up with you all each and every day. I'm sorry I've been doing drive-by's, but my school/social/work commitments are taking a lot of time added in with my reading, writing, sketching and practicing singing. Add in exercise, house duties, old friends who come to town for meetups, reading, more reading and er... it gets a little hectic.

From what I've seen though, we have a good hustle. Keep at it everyone! :D

kmarcks
10-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Only some editing.

starrystorm
10-05-2018, 04:27 PM
DAY 4: Nothing.

@Kithika Yeah, it was pretty interesting learning about that. I can't explain the math or science, but you're right.
@WGough I thought about that, but I'm not sure how much I can bend the rules without someone calling me out.
@April Exactly. Of course, this is from the same person who thought Louis Lane was Superman's secret identity. I mean, it sounded like a guy's name...:Shrug:

Taylor Harbin
10-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Wrote another page on prompt story. Some of it good, some bad. It’s like grabbing sand and sifting for the gold. Some interesting elements have appeared that I might be able to develop. I’ll try to get it all out of me by the weekend.

Pterofan
10-05-2018, 10:14 PM
Day 4 - 261 words
Day 5 - 236 words

Longhand did the trick. I got through the love scene! The rest should go more smoothly now, especially since the ending's already written.

But screw that. My August story got accepted by the romance publisher! I'm hoping it comes out in April or before, in time for Free Comic Book Day. (One of my leads is a comic book artist.)

Taylor - "grabbing sand and sifting for gold" - what a great image. I've done knockoff flash scenes that yielded ideas for stories and in one case a novel. The gold is rare and often buried in sand, but when you find it, it's all worth it. Proof that no writing is ever a waste of time.

KayMitch
10-06-2018, 03:58 AM
Another drive by for me. I apologize. My wifi was still being shitty so we finally are switching providers BUT when we cancelled it, we expected to you know have wifi for the remainder of the billing period we had paid for... but nope they shut it off immediately and our new wifi doesn't activate til monday, so i'm currently wifi less.

On writing notes. Apparently October is my revising month, because that's what I've been doing. I revised another 3500 words between yesterday and today. Slowly but surely I'll get this work into querying shape.

WGough
10-06-2018, 04:35 AM
Day 5
Revised a half chapter on paper. Restructured some things. Not feeling it today.

Cindyt: Congrats. I gave up halfway through my honking long chapter.

Daniel: Great word count. Wow, hectic is the word for it.

kmarcks: Same

Taylor: Congrats on your page. Good luck sorting.

Pterofan: Double congratulations. You've had an amazing day.

KayMitch: Yay ! Another reviser! Sounds like yours is going well.

Have a great weekend everybody.

Layla Nahar
10-06-2018, 06:00 AM
Cindy - nice work

I like how this thread lets us see how people handle the task of making a story…

Nice work, Daniel hope you have a good weekend

Kmarks - editing is a proper challenge, imho

Starry - we gotta take a day off once in a while

Glad to hear you're keeping at it, Taylor.

Whooo Ptero - nice word count & congrats on the acceptance

Kay - it certainly does seem like October is revising month. Ride that wave, yo!

Gough - I think you're doing great

Day 5

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - earning service, groceries (the local coop has folded - years of mismanagement - one of the last times I'll be getting my bulk stuff* & beeswax candles… sic transit)
$$ - indy work on a new writing exercise

*I'd get the bulk sunflower seeds in the quantities I liked, and then share that with the birdies on the porch. That's one of the many things I'm going to have to figure out how to keep supplied with...

Cindyt
10-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Day 5

New Words - 811

Revisions - Added a new part to the auto because it didn't feel right without it.

Historical Read Through: 3 chapters

Daniel - Good on you!

Kmarcks - Editing is important

Layla - You didn’t do bad yourself!

WGough - I wanted to give up, but for once stayed the course.

I'm up to the year 2000.

kmarcks
10-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Day 5? I slept most of the day because I have to work tonight, which is where I am right now. May get some writing in later if things are slow.

Taylor Harbin
10-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Another page and a half done on the prompt, and beats me if I know where it's going. Words keep coming and I keep writing. Methinks I'm at the point where I might need to just stop so I can let it cool and assess, then try again. Still, the fact I was able to write every day this week (or close to it) is nice!

Pterofan
10-06-2018, 08:29 PM
Currently in drive-by mode. I'm going to tackle typing up all that longhand later today.

DanielSTJ
10-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Kmarks: More than me yesterday!

Starrystorm: No sweat. It happens.

April: Have a good weekend!

Taylor: Nice.

Pterofan: The pen is mightier than the sword. :D

KayMitfch: No worries! I’ve been doing drive-by’s too.

WGough: Understandable. Sometimes you must refill the well.

CindyT: Nice stuff! Sounding good.

Magnus: You’re still checking in!

Jason: Yeah, I hear you. I had a long day too.

Layla: You’re VERY consistent with your writing habits. I’m impressed. :D

Me? I missed yesterday. :(

Hoping to avoid that moving through. My saving grace is that I read a lot.

starrystorm
10-07-2018, 12:56 AM
DAY 5: 70-something words.

I just need to get this done! I think I'm just scared because when I finish this chapter, I have one more to go before completing my second draft. In the third draft I have toerase characters I've been meaning to erase, but can't bring myself to do. I've made myself a mess for draft 3, and I don't want to undo it.

WGough
10-07-2018, 03:40 AM
[B]Day [6/B]
Revised two and half chapters on paper. Worked out some structure issues. Found tons of weak writing. Felt like a hack, then read a paragraph (a whole paragraph) that didn't make me cringe! :partyguy: Sketched some connecting scenes longhand. Cut, cut cut.

Layla: Great work. Sucks about your co-op. Love that you feed the birds!

Cindyt: You're just a writing machine! Sh-amazing progress.

kmarcks: Have a good night!

Taylor: Let the words come!

Pterofan: Way to drive-by!

Daniel: You've earned a skip day! If I notice writerly things while reading, it counts as writing.

starrystorm: I'm in that same mess. Feels like the drafts will never end.

Broke out the index cards and highlighters today. And sticky flags. Multicolored paperclips. Drowning in a revising rainbow. We'll see how it goes.

Deadeyemouse
10-07-2018, 05:38 AM
Day 4 and 5: Man, I'm not getting anything done. Between the two days, I edited a few words but didn't add anything new.

Day 6: Finally made some headway at 1211 words down. Man, feels good to have a moderately successful day back in the game.

Cindyt
10-07-2018, 07:18 AM
Day 6

New Words - 148

Historical Read Through: 3 chapters

Daniel - Reading goes toward better writing.

WGough - Sometimes I feel like my brain and my fingers had a falling out.

DanielSTJ
10-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Starrytorm: You’ll get there! Keep at it!

WGough: I need to get revising more. How do you structure your day to fit both fresh writing and revising old drafts in? I have a LOT of stuff that needs edited. How do you manage?

Deadeyemouse: Nice work!

CindyT: Sage words from an amazing lady. :)

Me: 2141.

I really need to start revising old stuff. I have like 7 novels in first draft conditions. How can I do this? I know working on it is the obvious answer, but I want to fit some in each day. Does anyone have any strategies? HELP! :X Do I just do it in little chunks!?!?

*UPDATED*

Revised 3 pages of my novella.

xenylic
10-07-2018, 08:11 AM
I chipped away at the wall again! Today, I pushed out a solid 1,000 words into Book 2 and started to move the pieces of the story around again, which is what I always need to do when I'm feeling blocked.

I have a few nuggets here and there, but more importantly I'm reminding myself in practice to keep moving along. The content that I'm covering is super intimidating, especially since it's at the back end of a book with a huge turning point in the story culminating, but I'm making the first move finally. Hopefully the gears keep turning and I can get some momentum built up rolling into the next week.

Layla Nahar
10-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Nice work Cindy, on your own 3/3

Hope work isn't to stressful Kmarks

Taylor, glad to hear those words keep flowing

Hope that typing went smooth, Ptero.

Daniel - you're still a champ ;)

Nice work, Starry.

Whew - Gough. Revising!!

Way to go, Mouse.

(& grr - no internet last night so I couldn't post day 6 - )

Xen - good to hear you're getting back in the groove :)

Saturday Day 6
WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - crafted again, did some work on my workspace, now more of my sewing things are in one place and easy to get to. Earning service.
$$ - took a skip day

Taylor Harbin
10-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Wrapped up the prompt story with some questions to help me shape it. 200-300 words. I might combine it with another prompt, but right now I’m just glad I’ve been able to keep going.

Pterofan
10-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Day 6 - typed about a page of the story--some old words discarded and new ones added. Plus jotted down 166 words in a "flash" scene, just to be on the safe side.

Right now I'm taking a break from freelance work to come to the library and check in. Then I'll be taking another break to watch the new Doctor Who premiere. If I get back to doing anything, it'll be later tonight. But it's Sunday, which is supposed to be a day of rest anyway. I can justify goofing off with the best of them. ;)

starrystorm
10-07-2018, 10:10 PM
DAY 6-368 words edited.

@WGough Good to know it's not just me.

@Deadeyemouse Editing still counts, but great job on that 1000

@Cindyt Good job

@Daniel Seven? If that was my situation, I'd just be pick one and start. Ignore the rest. But that's only my way.

@xenylic Moving the pieces around. I hate that, but it's one of the most important steps.

@Layla Good job

@Taylor I've never tried a story prompt...

@Pterofan I can agree with your last paragraph.

Magnus
10-07-2018, 11:57 PM
Day 5-7

Wow, my capacity to commit to this thread is as astonishingly bad as ever. I had to drop my current main project as I was just running in circles, so I'm letting it rest for a few days. I'm working on some prep for RPGs etc to keep my creative mind busy. I'll allow that to be the focus this week, but then the stories need to be back in focus.

xenylic - Nice to see you here again!
Kithica - Sounds good, you kept it up even though you had a tough time! Better than I did this past week. :)
Pterofan - Excellent news on the story being accepted, congrats!

Let's keep at it, folks!

WGough
10-08-2018, 03:45 AM
Day 7
Revised 5 chapters on paper. Most of you already know this, but man, can you catch those typos better on paper.

Deadeyemouse: Great word count. Keep at it!

Cindyt: Yes! My fingers keep spelling cloak with an r, as in "cloark."

Daniel: Amazing word count! I'm really not the person to ask about revising since this is my first go, but here's me process. I'm taking notes as I revise, which thus far has involved writing new words. Plus, I can see just how awful some of my sentences are in the draft and completely rewrite them. It's an odd brain-switch. Cindyt is probably a better source for this as I've yet to accomplish working on multiple projects at one time. If I had my way, I'd write new stuff in the morning and revise in the afternoon. Actually, if I had my way, I'd have staff (as Taylor suggested) to help with revising.

xenylic: Yes! Moving stuff around gets my brain going. Nice work!

Layla: Ah, a room of one's own. Love it.

Taylor: Congrats on the haul!

Pterofan: Way to work that piece. All of my responses to your posts sound like innuendo. Doctor Who is necessary.

starrystorm: Way to edit!

Magnus: Good to hear from you. Ugh, I hate the story merry-go-round. Good luck.

Have a good week, folks.

Cindyt
10-08-2018, 04:47 AM
Day 7

I took today off

Layla Nahar
10-08-2018, 04:52 AM
WGT Taylor :)

Ptero - 166 is darn good, imo

Excellent, Starry!

LOL Magnus. Have fun with the RPGs

Day 7
WIP - skip day!
R/SC earning service, walk in the woods, dip in the lake
$$ - very wee bit of indy work

Layla Nahar
10-08-2018, 04:54 AM
oops -

Gough - keep up the great work

Cindy - Great minds? ;)

Deadeyemouse
10-08-2018, 04:57 AM
Day 7: I had a nice spark of inspiration and got 2220 words on the page. Really wanted to do more as I'm at a very fun scene, but life came to steal the time away.

KayMitch
10-08-2018, 07:13 AM
I revised only a little over 1k these last two days, but still a bit done so I'm happy. See y'all soon. The wifi should be up and running tomorrow finally!

Taylor Harbin
10-08-2018, 02:11 PM
DAY 6-368 words edited.

@WGough Good to know it's not just me.

@Deadeyemouse Editing still counts, but great job on that 1000

@Cindyt Good job

@Daniel Seven? If that was my situation, I'd just be pick one and start. Ignore the rest. But that's only my way.

@xenylic Moving the pieces around. I hate that, but it's one of the most important steps.

@Layla Good job

@Taylor I've never tried a story prompt...

@Pterofan I can agree with your last paragraph.

I wouldn’t pressure myself by calling it a story prompt, because sometimes I can't get a complete story out of it; only story elements, but I do recommend it! It can be very liberating.

As for my quota, I did another page and a third on a new prompt.

mradassaad
10-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Hi All, I'm new here and very excited.
Day 6, I designed 1 conceptual figure for my up and coming research article.
Wrote 58 words as caption.

starrystorm
10-08-2018, 04:14 PM
DAY 7:
1000 words edited. I plowed through chapter 20, now all I have to do is write the final chapter. But I do feel like I've ended the story too soon...

DanielSTJ
10-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Xenylic: 1000 words is cool beans!

Layla: Everyone deserves a skip day now and then. :D

Taylor: Progress!

Pterofan: Break away!

Starrystorm: Nice!

Magnus: No worries, you’ll be back in tune before you know it.

WGough: I may try this. Thank you!

CindyT: No sweat.

Deadeyemouse: That is some major wordage. Good work!

KayMitch: It’s still taking care of business! :)

Mradassaad: That still counts!

Starrystorm (again): That’s a decent amount of editing. Nice!

Yesterday: 1907. I'm getting more consistent with progress. This is good. :)

April Swanson
10-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Semi drive-by…

Cindyt: I saw Hostiles earlier this year and thought it was very good.

Magnus: Well done you for throwing off the black dog. That’s a really hard thing to do.

Layla: I went beyond the wall :)

Pterofan: Congrats! That’s awesome news.

Daniel: Susan Dennard has some good revision advice on her website.

Well, I’m back from my mini-break, which was very nice. Lots of walking. Lots of wine-ing. Today I picked two projects to focus on, and started making a scene list for one of them. My current state is: just keep swimming.

Day 8: Wee bit; 5.5 miles; broken calves

Pterofan
10-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Day 7 - 126 words

I typed up some longhand this morning, but since very few "new" words were involved, I don't consider it officially writing. Nothing's on TV tonight; let's see if I can do better.

WGough - I write erotic romance. Innuendo comes with the territory. (Yes, I said "comes." See what I mean?)

Jason
10-09-2018, 12:43 AM
Day 5 and 6 I got a fat lotta nuthin done. Now on Day 8, I am making up for it in spades. In addition to my daily goal, I was motivated enough to write something way outside my comfort zone. I really need to teach less and have more admin weeks - I am so much more productive when work doesn't interfere!

858 words already

Deadeyemouse
10-09-2018, 03:02 AM
Day 8: Going to be a busy night, but before that all got going, I found some time to lock myself away and type out 1197 words. Then I noticed how close that was, typed 3 more words and can finish today at an even 1200 words

April Swanson: 5.5 miles, man, that's some walking. Hope you enjoyed the wine-ing and enjoy the water while your "swimming."

Pterofan: 126 words, well done! As the group reminds me, reading and editing counts, so typing longhand must as well.

Jason: Sorry about the flat, that stuff sucks. I moved at the start of the month and that got in the way. 858 is great! Especially when working outside your comfort zone. Weirdly, I seem to have had my most inspired word count day this week on the busiest work day thus far.

WGough
10-09-2018, 03:54 AM
Day 8
Revised two chapters on paper.

Cindyt: You deserve one.

Layla: As do you.

Deadeyemouse: Fantastic word counts.

KayMitch: Nice work. Way to work through the wi-fi.

Taylor: Prompts seem to be working for you. Keep at it.

mradassaad: :welcome:

starrystorm: Nice work. I hate that feeling. You're not alone!

Daniel: So good!

April: Thanks for the rec. Swim, swim, swim.

Pterofan: Love it!

Jason: Great word count. Boo to day-jobs.

Layla Nahar
10-09-2018, 03:59 AM
Hi Kay :) Glad to hear you're keeping at it

Hello mr add & welcome - nice work ;)

Starry - way to keep at it!

In good form, Daniel!

Hope you had a nice break April - glad to see you're back in the swing of things :)

Ptero - nice work

Congrats on those 858 words Jason

Congrats on those 1200 mouse!

Gough - way to keep at it

Day 8

WIP - 3/4 page
R/SC - horseback riding lesson :) sorting/tidying my living & work space
$$ - indy project - research

Cindyt
10-09-2018, 07:13 AM
Day 8

New Words - 1362

Historical Read Through: 4 chapters

Layla - I wanted to take today off too, but got my butt in gear.

DanielSTJ
10-09-2018, 08:34 AM

Today was a success.

I'll catch up tomorrow.

KitKate
10-09-2018, 01:17 PM
First week, I managed to get 500 every day apart from Thursdays which is my day off from writing. I decided to edit for two days last week and got 1000 on a current WiP on Sunday. Yesterday, I did 500 words but I think I might skip today for any sort of writing. I'm getting over a stomach flu and it's wiped me out so might make this pure recovery day.

Taylor Harbin
10-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Another page on the current prompt. Not bad but I feel this one slipping away from me. Gotta find a way to make it interesting again.

starrystorm
10-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Sigh. No words on DAY 8. I'm stuck with the final chapter of my story. The current ending is fine, I guess, but it's not something special. I'm working on ideas on how to fix it today. I'll see if I get any editing done.

Pterofan
10-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Day 8 - 337 words
Day 9 - 340 words

The first was a flash scene; the second is new words added to a pre-typed scene. Taken together, that's 1235 words so far today, but I'm only counting the new ones. The story is slowly progressing, and getting longer than I anticipated. This one's going to require a printout and a retype once I'm ready to edit.

April Swanson
10-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Pterofan: Slow progress is better than no progress :)

Jason: Yay! Glad you’re in the groove.

Deadeye: I walked up a mountain (a small one, but still a bloody mountain) and my calves are still in agony. I’m not designed for hills. Well done you for carving out the writing time. 1200 is awesome :)

WGough: Woo for revisions! Which book are you working on?

Layla: You’ll be fit to ride Shadowfax in no time. And 3/4 page! :snoopy:

Cindyt: Enjoy the canapes in the 1k club :)

Daniel: Yay!

KitKate: Great start to the month; definitely take the time to recover though. Stomach flu is nasty.

Taylor: Throw in some dinosaurs.

starrystorm: Well, at least you’re not settling for something you’re not happy with. The answer will come to you.

Oh gosh, what a productive day I’ve had! Let’s see…I woke up at 9…footered around, wrote a wee bit, then ate half a tub of ice cream while watching Star Trek and fell asleep for 2.5 hours.

I know, folks, my work ethic is just so inspiring.

Day 9: Wee bit; 6.5 miles; burnt bean blondies for Bake-off BOO

Taylor Harbin
10-10-2018, 01:14 AM
Pterofan: Slow progress is better than no progress :)

Jason: Yay! Glad you’re in the groove.

Deadeye: I walked up a mountain (a small one, but still a bloody mountain) and my calves are still in agony. I’m not designed for hills. Well done you for carving out the writing time. 1200 is awesome :)

WGough: Woo for revisions! Which book are you working on?

Layla: You’ll be fit to ride Shadowfax in no time. And 3/4 page! :snoopy:

Cindyt: Enjoy the canapes in the 1k club :)

Daniel: Yay!

KitKate: Great start to the month; definitely take the time to recover though. Stomach flu is nasty.

Taylor: Throw in some dinosaurs.

starrystorm: Well, at least you’re not settling for something you’re not happy with. The answer will come to you.

Oh gosh, what a productive day I’ve had! Let’s see…I woke up at 9…footered around, wrote a wee bit, then ate half a tub of ice cream while watching Star Trek and fell asleep for 2.5 hours.

I know, folks, my work ethic is just so inspiring.

Day 9: Wee bit; 6.5 miles; burnt bean blondies for Bake-off BOO

You suggestion sounds awesome...but I don't know if my mind is going to let me use it.

This is my one day off out of the week. I've been feeling strange. Usually I take this day to read extra from whatever book I'm on, or do extra writing/editing. Today I didn't just not get around to it. I didn't want to do it. Every time I thought about doing it, my first thought was "That doesn't sound like fun."

And that bothers me.

Methinks I might have been going too hard too fast with these writing prompts, wanting to "write every day" like Bradbury (never taking the time to think that even he must have had bad days; slow months). But if I stop then the words stop and the stories go with them. The super-long time my submissions are taking makes this feeling even worse, like I have to have new material ready for the inevitable rejection.

Methinks it's time for a break, but I spend so much of my time reading/writing I don't know what else to do.

WGough
10-10-2018, 03:46 AM
Day 9
Revised two chapters on paper. Worked through some plot holes.

Layla: Nice work.

Cindyt: Way to shift that butt!

Daniel: Great word count.

KitKate: Awesome progress. Feel better.

Taylor: Hate the slipping. Just try the dinosaurs. Everyone's doing it. The first one's free.

starrystorm: The last chapter blues. I feel your pain.

Pterofan: Amazing work. Congrats!

April: I love your day. I'm working on Book I. That Susan Dennard blog is super helpful. Trying really hard not to line edit on this read through. Failing miserably.

It's been raining all month. So it's raining throughout Book I. Good thing it's supposed to be Gothic.

Layla Nahar
10-10-2018, 04:02 AM
W00 - everybody's been busy!

Cindy - keeping at it like a trooper -

Nice, Daniel!

Kit - without some good self-care we can't get the other stuff done (& congrats on the words you got done too!)

Taylor, you're a trooper, too.

Starry - I hate getting stuck!! Hope you're flowing soon

Nice day of productivity, Ptero

Whoa April that sounds like a great day especially the ice cream (what kind?)

Day 9

WIP - 3/4 page
R/SC - was at the registry from 9:00 - 12:00. Sorted out a headache, then - stopped at home for the beach stuff, deposited my check (so the RMV check won't bounce grr) got my car inspected and it PASSED - walk in the woods dip in the lake & crafted some containers out of cardboard boxes as part of sorting & tidying my space.
$$ - indy project research -

Now I'm sitting in my room drinking tea & listening to bleeps & bloops music

Deadeyemouse
10-10-2018, 04:55 AM
Day 9 Here I thought today I was not going to be able to do anything. I felt incredibly tired, work was crazy busy and long. Then I just did it anyway and ended with 1059 words

xenylic
10-10-2018, 05:59 AM
I knocked out a solid 1,622 words today despite all the other things going on this week! I'm not quite out of the woods yet, but now I'm starting to get my footing back in the story finally, after several long pep talks and strategy changes. Right now, I'm focusing more on my week's word count goal than anything else.

It's really helping me focus now that I'm dividing my writing goals into finer chunks. It feels incredible that I'm able to pull off this kind of day in the thick of a brutal semester of classwork. If I organize myself well enough, I actually still might be in the running to meeting my mega-goal of 140k by the December 31st. Baby steps, though. For now, I'm aiming to hit 6k words this month by the 15th (Monday).

Hope everyone else is doing well and I promise soon enough I'll be back on here for real each day! I miss reading everyone's daily success!

Jason
10-10-2018, 07:04 AM
230 words today so a dip - but I wrote!

Cindyt
10-10-2018, 07:08 AM
Day 9

New Words - 1387

Historical Read Through: Interlude.

Layla - Nice job!

WGough - Haha. Nice revision session!

Xenylik - Awesome word count in the face of a busy week!

Kithica - Super job! Get well soonest.

Starry - I had a time with my historical’s ending, but it worked out, and so will yours.

April - The cheese straw nibbles were especially good.

Deadeyemouse - WTG!

Transferred both books to private Blogger pages for added storage.

Hurricane Michael is set to sideswipe my city, and may knock out my service for a few days.

DanielSTJ
10-10-2018, 08:48 AM
I must head to bed. I'll try to reconvene tomorrow, but I'll be busy most of the day.

Nonetheless:

Taylor Harbin
10-10-2018, 04:29 PM
No new words for me this morning. Taking time to reassess my methods. I think I've been using the prompts the wrong way. I'm not a pantster, never have been. My earlier depression seems to be rooted in the fact that I was expecting results from a method I've never embraced. In short, I think I've been running myself too hard, too fast. I'm not a pro. I'm not working on deadlines. It doesn't make sense to try forcing myself to fill my time with stories that I don't want to write. Perhaps grabbing a prompt and spilling onto the page isn't the best way. Maybe I should use the prompt as brainstorming material.

Good luck to everyone else.

April Swanson
10-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Taylor: You know, I think most professional authors exaggerate when asked how much they write. Artists are always having to ‘justify’ their work, and so they inflate their efforts, to make them look more important. I think Bradbury, in particular, was prone to hyperbole. Give yourself a break, and don’t compare yourself to the reports of other writers. If a method isn’t working for you, then that’s cool. I, too, can’t write something I don’t enjoy.

WGough: I find it really hard not to line edit either. One trick I use is to edit while reading on Kindle. When I’m making notes on a piece of paper and physically can’t edit on the Kindle, I’m less prone to caring about the pernickety line stuff. Glad you find her advice helpful :)

Layla: Vegan B&J’s peanut butter and oreos. Bloody delicious, so it was! I’ll never cease to be amazed at how much you fit into one day. Enjoy the blip-bloppity-bloops :)

Deadeye: Woo! Now there’s a win for determination.

xenylic: Glad you’re staying on top of it all. 1.6k is one smashing count :)

Jason: You wrote! Exactly!

Cindyt: Stay safe in that storm.

Daniel: Good job :)

Well, I was mildly more effective today than I was yesterday. I sketched out some key characters, then brainstormed lots of ideas for Chapter One (oh yeah I’m revisiting an old project because the current one made me want to rip my eyes out). I also changed the colour of my text in Scrivener. I’m sure that will make a massive difference.

Day 10: Decent bit (just); 10.5 miles; oh hunger where have thee gone?

Pterofan
10-10-2018, 10:55 PM
Today is a drive-by so far because I used the morning hours to wrap up a freelance assignment. That's out of the way now, so I can write tonight since nothing's on TV. Unless I do yard work ahead of the all-day rain predicted for tomorrow. Oy.

Just signed the contract for the August story. Now it's wait for edits.

Someone--it may have been Raymond Chandler, don't hold me to that--suggested that if a story stalls, have two men with guns burst through the door. Try that, but with dinosaurs. (and several large pinches of salt :))

xenylic
10-11-2018, 12:29 AM
An ugly victory for me today, but a victory nonetheless. I just barely crested 1k after a grueling, sluggish writing session today.

To be fair, I had to dig up a bit of yesterday's work and fix it before I actually got any of my new words in, so I probably wrote more words today than the net gain. Nonetheless, I'm not bothered by it by any means. I stuck it out, and now I'm now another day closer to completion!

Now about that pile of homework I've been neglecting…

Layla Nahar
10-11-2018, 02:46 AM
Well done Mouse!

Congrats on those 230 words Jason

Nice productivity Cindy :)

Likewise, Daniel :)

Taylor - are you enjoying yourself, & the writing? It's a good time to re-assess.

April - that day kind of made me myself go 'whoa'. A new project sounds like a good way to gain some fresh energy

Ptero - wuuwiii! Congrats on that contract :D

Nice work Xen :)

Day 10

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - organizing & crafting, woods & lake (the sun was *hot*, the water was brisk) & home to a little more organizing (& a bit of reading in the Summer Chair). Now it's time for bon bons & videos
$$ - indy research

starrystorm
10-11-2018, 02:53 AM
DAY 10...
Well, I wrote...stuff and have a question.
My sister (who likes to write too) decided to make our characters meet through a story set in her world. Mainly it was just the characters talking. Mainly it was weird, but fun. Now I just want to write on my own story, but it's getting late.

This may be a stupid question, but is there anyway that my sister's story collaboration could affect my chances of getting published (Like how fanfic can't). Neither of us are published, it was just a writing exercise. :scared: I know, it's a stupid question, but I just want to know. I'd hate it if I ruined my perfect story.

Jason
10-11-2018, 03:16 AM
Taylor - no worries, keep at it, one missed day does not mean anything, start anew tomorrow! :)

Pterofan - go for it, you can do it! (Tip: When I feel that I have to write I turn the TV off and let the DVR take over)

xenylic - Way to Go!

Layla - clearly a mover and a shaker - nicely done! :)

For me: 418 words today, but it started as 856, so I consider that editing too! LOL

WGough
10-11-2018, 04:23 AM
Day 10
Revised three chapters on paper.

Layla: Wow, that's a crazy day. And you still worked in writing. Stupendous!

Deadeyemouse: Writing when tired is not fun. Congrats on 1K+.

xenylic: Inspiring work. Keep at it.

Cindyt: Mmm, hurricane writing. Stay safe!

Daniel: Another outstanding word count.

Taylor: I'm all for prompts as brainstorming. I tend to use them when I'm stuck. What would this character do? That sort of thing. Good luck.

April: Way to work it out! Great advice, as always. I imagine reading my work on the Kindle is going to feel so weird. Can't wait to try it.

Pterofan: If only I could try dinosaurs or men with guns in my medieval pieces. Comets were terrifying enough.

starrystorm: I'm no expert, but I don't see how a collaboration can ruin your story's chances. Might ask over in the publishing boards. Not a stupid question. We're fiercely protective of our work. Rightly so!

Jason: That's amazing. I have to let my brain rest before I can switch between drafting and editing. Good job!

A proper autumn day today. Had to wear a sweater!

starrystorm
10-11-2018, 04:46 AM
@WGough

Okay, I'm breathing now. I just...my anxiety got to me bad when I was writing that post. I figure writing exercises aren't going to hurt my chance at publication, especially if they were just for fun and probably deleted by now. Not like the story had a plot anyway.

Right?

Cindyt
10-11-2018, 07:55 AM
Day 10

New Words - 851

Historical Read Through: 2 chapters

Revisions - historical novel’s table of contents. Chapter 24

Daniel - WTG!

WGough - So far, it’s just raining with a tornado watch.

April - I will.

DanielSTJ
10-11-2018, 09:42 AM
Sorry for the drive-by everybody, but it's been another one of those days..

Nonetheless: 1069.

I'm still hanging on!

Taylor Harbin
10-11-2018, 02:55 PM
After careful reflection, I’ve begin planning a new story that was inspired by my own recent experiences, but with some fantastical elements thrown in, of course. Hope to start writing very soon. Thanks to all for the encouragement.

KitKate
10-11-2018, 06:53 PM
Day 11 - I think I might change my goals and focus purely on editing right now. I'm a lot more productive editing through a current WiP while I'm struggling to get more done on a current 1st draft as I battle this stomach flu thing. The one I'm editing is definitely the one I want to try and get published so instinct is telling me to focus purely on that.

Pterofan
10-11-2018, 07:13 PM
Day 10 - 230 words

Nothing so far today, but it's early. I thought I'd run up to the library and check in before it starts raining again.

I looked over the contract again and release is tentatively scheduled for January. If it comes out on my birthday, that'd be kewl.

Taylor - :Hug2: and :hooray:

WGough - if you're writing fantasy or SF, you can add dinosaurs to anything. There's a YA series, I think it's called Battlesaurs, where Napoleon is using dinosaurs in his army. There used to be a comic book series called Dinosaurs for Hire that had dinosaurs with guns (and Hawaiian shirts). Those prehistoric buggers are damn versatile.

April Swanson
10-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Pterofan: Yay! That’s awesome :snoopy:

xenylic: Those gruelling sessions are the most important ones. Wheat from the chaff and all that.

Layla: Yay, Summer Chair! Enjoy those bon bons after writing 1/2 page :)

starrystorm: If I understand your situation correctly, then the only way I can think of there being an issue would be if you both tried to publish works with cross-over characters. I wouldn’t worry though.

Jason: Ha, the magic disappearing word trick! If only all progress could be going forward, eh?

WGough: Woo for three chapters! You’re certainly cracking through it. And you thought Book 1 needed most work, didn’t you?

Cindyt: Glad you’re not in Oz. Great job with the multi-tasking, as usual :)

Daniel: Nice!

Taylor: Good. Glad you’re feeling inspired.

KitKate: Go with instinct, always!

After a pretty ropey start, I managed to get down 1900 words in Chap 1. I would have liked a wee bit more, but I started to spin my wheels so decided to think about tomorrow's sesh, rather than plonk down words for the sake of it. Oh, and I did a yoga vid for the first time in weeks and was like, damn, yoga is amazing!

Day 11: Decent bit; 6 miles; I Heart Michelle Yeoh

Layla Nahar
10-12-2018, 12:46 AM
Starry - congrats on writing some stuff :) & - the general cant for the answer to your question is - to best get that answer, ask a lawyer. I would doubt it in your situation - mainly - as i understand it and IANAL* - the problem would be if your sister publishes a story using your characters then takes legal action against you if you publish a story using the same characters.
(* I Am Not A Lawyer)

Jason - congrats on the 418 :D

Congrats on those three chapters, Gough!

WTG, Cindy!

That's some pretty excellent hanging in, Daniel with 1069 words ;)

Congrats on that breakthrough Taylor

way to keep at it, Kit

Conrats on those 230, Ptero

Dang April! 1900 words! Way to come back!

(I'm on a way to roll today)

Day 11

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - organizing & crafting (including some mending). Fortunately I have enough chocolate here, and food, so I don't have to go out in the rain. Feels like autumn today
$$ - indy research

Jason
10-12-2018, 01:11 AM
Smoking morning - 4183 words! Super Geeked! :)

starrystorm
10-12-2018, 03:21 AM
Thanks, Layla and April! Seriously! Thanks for helping me with my overthought troubles.

I seriously doubt she would publish it. It was just a writing exercise. I believe there used to be a thread on AW (years ago) that was some kind of fantasy diner where AWer's pretended to be their MCs and interact. It was like that--silly and for fun.

My sister knows it upset me and she's deleted it, saying she was just having fun and never meant it for it to be anything serious. Just my brain likes to rattle on about how I've "ruined" my characters' originality by letting them come in contact with her characters. There was no plot, no story, just character interactions. We've used the writing exercise before, but I wasn't serious on publishing any of the characters I had used. It was only, at most, maybe 600 words with people rambling.

I don't see how it could affect any chance of publication, but my anxiety is a wheel that never stops churning, and once it grabs an idea, it won't let go. Best to forget the incident and move on. Surely, we're not the only two writers who have tried a game like this. I'm telling my brain to be quiet and think rationally, but ugh, it just wants to sabotage my writing life anyway it can.

WGough
10-12-2018, 03:45 AM
Day 11
Revised two chapters on paper.

starrystorm: Welcome to the freak out. You're in good company.

Cindyt: Write, read, revise. Oh, to be you. Without the tornado. Stay safe.

Daniel: Thanks for driving by. Another great writing day for you!

Taylor: Get it!

KitKate: A sound plan. Whatever keeps you going.

Pterofan: Nice work. You've given me plot bunnies!

April: Awesome word count. Yoga! You might try Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. I thought Book I was nearly there. Boy was I way off.

Layla: Chocolate, food, and 1/2 a page. You're set.

Keep at it, folks!

Cindyt
10-12-2018, 07:13 AM
Day 11

New Words - 2347

Read: 4 chapters

Revisions -

Replaced pipes with cigarettes
Changed name cat and dog

Research -

History of cigarette smoking in the UK
Coyotes--and I’m not talking about the Willie E set
The Fiesta de quinceañeras anos aka the Mexican debutante party for 15 year old girls.

Daniel - You’re rolling!

April - 1900 words is awesome! WTG!

Layla - Great multitasking!

Jason - Smoking indeed!

WGough - Good job revising!

Taylor Harbin
10-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Still brainstorming, but closer to being ready to attempt a first draft. I know someone needing money is a perfectly good reason to resort to nefarious business, but it seems to contrived in our modern society where we have lots of support networks. I suppose pride could keep someone from apply for welfare...

Cindyt
10-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Still brainstorming, but closer to being ready to attempt a first draft. I know someone needing money is a perfectly good reason to resort to nefarious business, but it seems to contrived in our modern society where we have lots of support networks. I suppose pride could keep someone from apply for welfare... Being a criminal or an anti-establishment.

starrystorm
10-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Day 11

starrystorm: Welcome to the freak out. You're in good company.
!

Yay! I made it! :thankyou:

Pterofan
10-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Day 11 - 142 words

Day 12 - 263 words

The end is near. If I can just get the story up to the point where I've already handwritten the closing scenes, life will be good.

WGough - so we'll be seeing medieval bunny/dino hybrids, then? (Man, the things Merlin could pull out of a hat ... )

April Swanson
10-12-2018, 10:57 PM
Layla: K so long as you’ve got chocolate I can rest easy. Way to go with 1/2 page :P

Jason: Bloomin’ ‘eck! Go you!

starrystorm: Your characters have definitely not been tainted by their interactions :) As WGough says, you’re having a standard writer freak-out. My advice is not to tell your brain to shut up. Rather, let it have it’s say, then politely add, ‘Okay, cool, I’ve noted your concern, now you have a lovely day.’ There’ll be more freak-outs down the line. I think it’s best to kinda embrace and acknowledge them, for it takes away some of their power. Big hugs.

WGough: I LOOOOOVE Adriene (and Benji :D). She is my go-to yogi. I managed the whole of True earlier this year, and I’m committing to doing all 30 days of Yoga Camp. Have you completed any of her 30 day programmes? OMG – you’re in Texas. You’re not in Austin, are you?!

Cindyt: 2347! Woop! Your research makes me want to write non-fic. I remember when indoor smoking was banned in Scotland. Turned out the smoke masked a lot of bad smells in night clubs...

Taylor: Pride, or maybe not being ‘poor enough’? What if they need more money to buy something special, like sharks with laser beams attached to their heads?

Pterofan: Eeep! I’m sending you special dust that will help you over the finish line.

Wrote 2000 words on Project A (took aaages), and then brainstormed Project B. I barely slept last night so today was tough, but I managed to crawl over the goal-line. I’m feeling oddly excited about both projects. I know – it’ll never last!

Day 12: Decent bit; 5 miles; gym-shmym

Taylor Harbin
10-13-2018, 12:39 AM
Layla: K so long as you’ve got chocolate I can rest easy. Way to go with 1/2 page :P

Jason: Bloomin’ ‘eck! Go you!

starrystorm: Your characters have definitely not been tainted by their interactions :) As WGough says, you’re having a standard writer freak-out. My advice is not to tell your brain to shut up. Rather, let it have it’s say, then politely add, ‘Okay, cool, I’ve noted your concern, now you have a lovely day.’ There’ll be more freak-outs down the line. I think it’s best to kinda embrace and acknowledge them, for it takes away some of their power. Big hugs.

WGough: I LOOOOOVE Adriene (and Benji :D). She is my go-to yogi. I managed the whole of True earlier this year, and I’m committing to doing all 30 days of Yoga Camp. Have you completed any of her 30 day programmes? OMG – you’re in Texas. You’re not in Austin, are you?!

Cindyt: 2347! Woop! Your research makes me want to write non-fic. I remember when indoor smoking was banned in Scotland. Turned out the smoke masked a lot of bad smells in night clubs...

Taylor: Pride, or maybe not being ‘poor enough’? What if they need more money to buy something special, like sharks with laser beams attached to their heads?

Pterofan: Eeep! I’m sending you special dust that will help you over the finish line.

Wrote 2000 words on Project A (took aaages), and then brainstormed Project B. I barely slept last night so today was tough, but I managed to crawl over the goal-line. I’m feeling oddly excited about both projects. I know – it’ll never last!

Day 12: Decent bit; 5 miles; gym-shmym

Good point. Here in AR you have to make no more than $21k a year. I’m thinking maybe not a real need but a perceived need would work just as well.

Jason
10-13-2018, 12:39 AM
Day 12 - 59 words - pitiful after yesterday, but I'll take it as better than zero!

Cindyt
10-13-2018, 01:01 AM

The cigarette smoking was actually for my historical novel. Rolled cigarettes showed up in Mexico and South America in the 9th century and in London in the 17th. (The store-bought kind weren't available until the 19th Century.

KayMitch
10-13-2018, 02:18 AM
In the last 5 days or so I've revised up to Chapter 6. Which is a little over 8,000 words. So I'm going good. I should be FINALLY getting wifi tomorrow if all goes well. We were supposed to get it on Monday, but I guess the stuff is not set up correctly to work with xfinity, so they're sending a tech out to fix everything for us.

Layla Nahar
10-13-2018, 03:01 AM
whoa, Jason - talk about smokin - congrats on that 4K!!

nice work, Gough :)

Cindy - a lot of new words, and all the other stuff! Nice work!

Taylor - keep on keeping on :)

Ptero - keep your eyes on the prize

April - congrats on that 2K :D

Jason - mos def - 59 words is great - keep at it

Kay! Good to see you. Great progress & I hope that wifi stuff goes smooth

Day 12

WIP - 1/4 page
R/SC - mending, crafting, cleaning, sorting… then groceries; took an online return to the post office
$$ - indy research

KayMitch
10-13-2018, 03:20 AM
Kay! Good to see you. Great progress & I hope that wifi stuff goes smooth

Same! I can't take any more complications with this stuff Dx We are switching from our old provider because we got sick of our wifi constantly going out from "outtages" and that we were paying for 60mbps and were getting like.... 5mbps .-. So hopefully once this is installed correctly it will be perfect XD

WGough
10-13-2018, 04:02 AM
Day 12
Revised two chapters on paper. Six to go. Hoping to crank those out this weekend. Then the real fun begins. The third draft.

Cindyt: A triple threat.

Taylor: You might research the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996, especially if your character is a woman. And though it's a bit dated, Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America might be worth a look.

Pterofan: Great job as usual. And, you're evil, lol.

April: Huge word count and brainstorming with tired-head. Amazing work! I have not completed any of the 30-days, so kudos! I almost finished her "30 Days of Yoga." Over three months. I need to get back to it. Planned to move to Austin in the 90s, then the tech-boom hit, and it got stupid expensive to live there. So here I sit, in North Texas, which means nothing since Texas is shaped like a smashed hand.

Jason: That's more than I manage some days. Good job!

KayMitch: Wow, that's some editing! Fantastic work. Sorry about the wi-fi. Sux.

Layla: Look at you, gettin' stuff done!

Have a great weekend everybody! Write, write, write.

Taylor Harbin
10-13-2018, 04:33 PM
Two pages on a new story. Beginning was a little rough, but I honestly think I won’t have any major problems with this one.

starrystorm
10-13-2018, 05:16 PM
DAY 12-- Wrote some (Don't know the word count due to erasing what I had written and restarting)

Pterofan
10-13-2018, 07:43 PM
Literal drive-by today as I'm currently out on the road running errands (with a stop at the local library so I can check in). I'll get back to work later today, I promise.

WGough - hell yes, I'm evil. Evil is my middle name. Looks really weird when signing forms.

April - I've got plenty of dust. I haven't vacuumed in over a month. Wait, you mean the special dust. Yeah, I'll take a tub. Oh, and do the sharks have head lasers to fight the bunny-dinos?

Cindyt
10-14-2018, 12:04 AM
Day 12

New Words - 25

Read: 2 parts of a long chapter

I was not well today.

WGough
10-14-2018, 03:25 AM
Day 13
Finished revising Book I on paper. Now to revise in Scrivener. This bad boy needs some serious work. May take a break tomorrow.

Taylor: Glad you found your way. Congrats!

starrystorm: That's some writing! Way to go.

Pterofan: Your mind is a carnival ride. Love it!

Cindyt: Feel better!

Keep at it, writers!

starrystorm
10-14-2018, 04:05 AM
DAY 13-- Wrote 380 words on paper. Tomorrow I'll type it up and be done with this second draft.

@CindyT: Hope you feel better.

@WGough Wow! Good job on revising that book. I couldn't do it on paper like you do.

Deadeyemouse
10-14-2018, 04:28 AM
Hi guys! Been a few days.

I had a heck of a time and didn't check in as I wasn't able to get any new words... kinda on the page.

During Days 11 and 12 I did some heavy editing of my current 24,000 word manuscript. In a time where I felt pressured for time due to life stuff, heavy editing seems to be a good use of that head-space.

Now on Day 13 I have finished that editing process and added 658 new words!

KayMitch
10-14-2018, 05:00 AM
Another 3200 words edited today. Now I'm off to eat dinner! (and yes I FINALLY have Wi-Fi again!)

Layla Nahar
10-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Day 12 - sorry, drive by for me today. Time to sleep...

WIP - like, close to a page, I think
R/SC - some tidying, earning service
$$ - indy research

Taylor Harbin
10-14-2018, 05:25 PM
Wrote another two pages.

Pterofan
10-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Day 13 - 188 words

Day 14 - 591 words

I was going to mow the lawn, but first it was too chilly and then it started raining, hence the higher-than-normal word count.

WGough - Yeah. The Tilt-A-Whirl. ;)

DanielSTJ
10-15-2018, 12:26 AM
Missed Fri and Sat. Looking for a return today.

Good work all! :D

Jason
10-15-2018, 01:17 AM
Time to write - but drawing a blank so using a writing prompt - is that cheating?

starrystorm
10-15-2018, 02:00 AM
Finished up my second draft. Not sure what to do now. Take a break? Start something new? Plow on through the third draft? Or do all of them?

Layla Nahar
10-15-2018, 04:19 AM
Beautiful. Taylor!

Nice work, Ptero. (It got chilly here, too)

Hi Daniel - hope it was a great weekend :)

Jason - it's what you want it to be. (hint - the title is write *something* every day. It doesn't say *what*)

Starry - imho - the best path is the one that makes you happiest :)

Day 14-
WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - earning service (then came home & slept - I'm bushed)
$$ - indy project - research

Deadeyemouse
10-15-2018, 04:48 AM
Day 14 Woo! Finally back on track today, feels really nice. Was a bit of a struggle as I started feeling really down about my word choices, but after some toying about, I found the mindset and cranked out 1346 words.

Cindyt
10-15-2018, 04:52 AM
I'm still out of whack. I'll be back. I think it's the change in temperature.

Taylor Harbin
10-15-2018, 04:50 PM
It’s my wife’s birthday, so I spent most of the morning cooking breakfast and giving presents. Still managed 3/4 of a page.

April Swanson
10-15-2018, 09:30 PM
Jason: I think your brain needed a break! And no, using a prompt is definitely not cheating.

KayMitch: Wow, that’s some solid revising. Glad you’re reconnected! :)

Layla: Woo for pages while snoozy! (Though I hope you’re now fully snoozed.)

WGough: I can’t believe you’ve finished your second draft. You are a MACHINE! I was so lazy I just did her latest pranayama practice today. I think if everyone did yoga we’d have global peace and some real good vibes :)

Taylor: Good stuff. I hope the story behaves itself. (Wait, my husband never made me breakfast on my birthday…)

starrystorm: Another second-drafter. Awesome job! It’s usually quite helpful to take a break between drafts so you can basically forget some of the details and then return with a bit more objectivity. But, everyone’s different, so just do what kinda feels right for you.

Pterofan: Indeed they do. They were feeling a little inferior.

Cindyt: Hope you feel better soon.

Deadeye: Big high-five for pushing past that pesky self-doubt.

Yaaawwn. Been pretty tired today. And hungry. And the neighbour upstairs has been LOUD. So yeah, today I mostly read, slept, took down my shower curtain before discovering the bathroom aisle at the shop had been taken over by Halloween gumph, and semi-planned Chapter Two. One of those days. Good thing I have wine.

Day 13: Decent bit; 6 miles; gazing into Gosling’s eyes
Day 14: Day off; 5 miles; rage against the machine
Dat 15: Wee bit; 4 miles; rhythmic thumping

Pterofan
10-15-2018, 09:58 PM
Currently in drive-by mode while I get a jump on freelance stuff. I haven't done any yard work either. I'm holding off on that until the weather cooperates.

Deadeyemouse
10-16-2018, 04:24 AM
Day 15 Got a tad distracted now that my VR unit got set up after the move. God, it is so cool!

Anyway, still managed to get 602 words out today. Now to decide if this entire scene I've been working on the last two days is something I want to cut.

xenylic
10-16-2018, 04:40 AM
1.1k to start the week. Took advantage of the rain and switched a few things around in my day :D

I also read three chapters yesterday on my research book to unclog my brain as I continue to build up this final section of the book, and I came back late in the day for a clean 7 mile run, so I'm pretty chipper today.

I'm crunching some numbers trying to figure out the optimal path to hit for my last three months of the year, and right now my aim is roughly 12-13k per month to be ideal. I had a late start with October, but I'm up to 6,000, which is 10x higher than September's nightmare, so I won't complain.

Homework is frustrating. Trying to do everything from my room, but some remote applications have not been promising. I might have to bite the bullet and do all my project in a certain class from the computer lab, which I'm being as stubborn as possible to avoid. Will have to figure that out later. Currently, there are more pressing problems with one of my professors who lost my only test from his class. College is fun :e2smack:

Layla Nahar
10-16-2018, 04:56 AM
Hope you feel better soon, Cindy

Nice work fitting that 3/4 page in Taylor

Sounds like writing and Life going on there, April ;)

Good luck with the freelance and the yard, Ptero

Nice work, mouse!

Congrats on those words, Xen, and I totally understand you about wanting to work at home rather than the lab...

Day 15
WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - moar tidying etc, then some errands
$$ - started a writing exercise for my indy project, & more research
=======================================

Jason
10-16-2018, 05:33 AM
Day 14 - Forgot to post my word count even though it was a writing prompt - 280

Today (Day 15) - a tough one but managed another 367 words today...

Taylor Harbin
10-16-2018, 07:53 PM
Barely managed 3/4 of another page. Once again, I jumped into a story without adequate planning or forethought, but by golly wasting paper is just what I do on my day off. Setting it aside. After getting another rejection and being reminded that my parents only consider this a hobby, I'm feeling pretty low. Trying to remember when writing was actually fun and fulfilling.

April Swanson
10-16-2018, 09:12 PM
Deadeyemouse: Woo 602! I feel your pain; I just finished a chapter only to realise the whole thing needs redone. Part of the process, part of the process… *swigs wine*

xenylic: My knees ache at the thought of your 7 mile run. Great job writing 1.1k! Nice to see professors still living up to their absent-minded stereotype.

Layla: I know we need Life to have something to write about, but sometimes it’s a right pain. Yay 1/2 page! :)

Jason: Chuggin’ along nicely there.

Taylor: Hugs. When we push harder it is easy to lose the fun. I wish I had an answer for how to find it again. Still searching myself.

I had a cookie for breakfast, which probably explained my midday slump. But, the cookie was really good, so…I’m sticking with my life choices. I wrote a couple hundred words, then spent some time planning Chapter Two. Also spent far too much time in the depths of Twitter, and, weirdly, watching self-defence videos. Come at me, ninjas.*

Day 16: Wee bit; 4 miles; Anime penguins all gone :(

*Please don’t.

Pterofan
10-16-2018, 10:08 PM
Day 15 - 588 words

Day 16 - 429 words

As you can tell from the word counts, I'm entering the home stretch. Yes, about 300 of those words were retyped longhand, but still. I could have this puppy done by the weekend. Then it's dive into the romance series, or put that off by diving into the SF M/M romance instead. This is usually the point when a totally new idea strikes from out of the blue, leads me astray for a week or two and then peters out. I'm with Taylor. Writing used to be fun.

If I can motivate myself, I'll be mowing the lawn this afternoon.

Taylor Harbin
10-17-2018, 01:58 AM
I’m bailing for the rest of the month, maybe longer. Can’t get anything finished and when I do I hate it. Too hurt to go on. Maybe if the urge comes back so strong I can’t resist I’ll try another story, but until then, I dunno...

Good luck everyone. Hope you find your audience and get lots of uplifting fan mail.

Jason
10-17-2018, 02:28 AM
Congrats to all - my day was kinda busy, so no words yet. Maybe will get some pen time in tonight... :)

WGough
10-17-2018, 02:58 AM
Day 15
Planned, read craft books. Fidgeted.

Day 16
Revised a scene. Cut, cut, cut.

starrystorm: If you have the energy for all of them, go for it! Kudos.

Deadeyemouse: Glad you're back. Nice word count. If it doesn't work, save it for something else. On the word choice front, reading poetry helps me there.

KayMitch: Way to edit. Yay, wi-fi!

Layla: Nice going on that 1/2 page.

Pterofan: Great word counts. It's been raining here for almost two weeks. I think I have a swamp monster in the back yard.

Cindyt: Feel better soon!

xenylic: Wow, that's some work. Sorry about school. It'll be over sooner than you think.

Taylor: Sorry to see you go, but I understand. Do what you need to do and come back!

April: Breakfast cookies! It's a thing. Way to write and plan! I only revised Book I on paper. I started redrafting in Scrivener today. Waa. It's hard. And so slow.

Two turkey vultures are chowing down on roadkill across the streets and my dogs are going nuts!

Layla Nahar
10-17-2018, 03:49 AM
Way to keep at it, Jason!

Taylor, yeah, it's so easy to lose the sense of happiness we get from writing.

Congrats on the new words, and the other stuff, April

Way to go Ptero

Gough - you're a trooper

Day 16

WIP - 3/4 page
R/SC - tidying, arranging & re-arranging; a bit of cooking
$$ - some writing exercise for my indy project

DanielSTJ
10-17-2018, 05:46 AM
35 words yesterday.

I had a huge nap today, so I'll be ready to rock hopefully.

I also have reading week next week-- nothing going on, so I'll be on here working away! :D

Keep at it!

xenylic
10-17-2018, 05:53 AM
1,000 words written and an exciting plot point ahead of me (finally!).

I also managed to squeak in a four mile run between classes. Slowly but surely the confidence is coming back to me :D

Deadeyemouse
10-17-2018, 06:03 AM
Day 16 Oh man, I had to cram in some writing into a very short window of free-time I had today. However, got 841 words!

DanielSTJ
10-17-2018, 07:46 AM
910 words today.

I'm back in there!

starrystorm
10-17-2018, 05:13 PM
I'm back from my two day break (I can tell I'm in poor writing shape since I had to look at my previous post to remember how to spell "break" :roll:). I'm going to do some editing today, but have decided if I get free time somewhere I'm not with my current WIP on hand, I'll start planning a new book (just planning, no writing).

Great job for everyone who has written!

April Swanson
10-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Pterofan: Chin up! Those are solid word counts. And, it’s always better to have too many ideas than too few :)

Take care, Taylor. Sounds like you really need a rest from it all.

WGough: Any recs for the craft books? Yeah, I’m with you: revising on a computer is much harder. Wish I had your view… The seagulls have mostly left and the crows aren’t as interesting to watch. I need birds to entertain me.

Layla: 3/4 page! Whatcha cookin’?

Daniel: Huge naps are the best. Awesome count!

xenylic: Lots of good stuff goin’ on there! Nice work :)

Deadeyemouse: Whoop! You must have been super focused.

I wrote 2360 words in Chapter Two, then decided to step away from drafting and spend the rest of the day sketching ideas for the last chunk of Chapter Two, and musing a second project. All good, all good.

Day 17: Decent bit; 6.5 miles; fruit infusion champ

Pterofan
10-17-2018, 11:13 PM
Day 17 - only 93 words, but that's so far. Everything else is out of the way now, and there's nothing on TV, so I should be able to add at least another hour's worth of work after dinner. Unless I decide to read instead.

WGough - swamp monsters? Sounds like you've got the plot for your next book already. :D

WGough
10-18-2018, 01:53 AM
Day 17
Still raining. So tired. Redrafting a particularly cumbersome scene. Do I have to harmonize world-building with characterization? Mlark!

Layla: What a great day!

Daniel: Great word count. You're back!

xenylic: The confidence always returns. Glad to hear it!

Deadeyemouse: That's amazing! Way to work it in.

starrystorm: Stupid brain. Love the planning phase. Good luck!

April: All great! That's amazing work. Craft books are tricky. I'm trying Troubleshooting Your Novel. I've found a lot of these are polishing guides geared toward the author's preferred style of writing more than revision guides. Self Editing for Fiction Writers falls into that category. Don't use adverbs, show don't tell, don't use passive verbs. Yeah, those tidbits are the foundation for my mountain of student loan debt. Sooze's site is much more insightful. Francine Prose's Reading Like a Writer focuses quite a bit on language. One idea I'm trying is to precede a violent paragraph with a lyrical paragraph. La la la, pretty, pretty, pretty...ATTACK. Any revision book recs are greatly appreciated.

Pterofan: Swamp monster or tentacle monster? I'm so torn.

Layla Nahar
10-18-2018, 04:45 AM
Daniel - I love naps (oh, and hey! Congrats on that 910!)

Xen - nice work - & hope that was a fun run!

mouse, that was one successful cram!

Nice keeping at it, Starry :)

Whoa April - 2K+ - great job :D

Ptero - 93 words sounds great

Gough - I have faith in you - it will be some sweet harmonization ;)

Day 17

WIP - 3/4 page
R/SC - earning service - almost the same commute as before, but less by ~10 minutes.
$$ - indy - research & analysis ;)

xenylic
10-18-2018, 04:49 AM
Bit of a throwaway type of writing session today; nothing of real substance to the words I added, but to be fair, I was pretty exhausted and had a late start. I got my 1k in today, but no run sadly—ran out of time. Tomorrow for sure, I'll start to dig into that juicy plot point that's so nearby!

College update, my professor found my test (surprise, surprise, it was in his possession the whole time!), but this whole fiasco has left me on the back foot trying to keep up with assignments. Still trying to figure out a rhythm on the other class that involves an application that I can't use remotely. For the time being, all that's on hold as I just try and stretch myself out to the weekend. I promised myself no writing this weekend since I've been making a pretty good comeback during the week. That should be a nice change.

Hanging in there (narrowly at the moment). You guys have been doing amazing stuff! Keep it up!

starrystorm
10-18-2018, 05:56 AM
DAY 17
(Drive-by post)
Edited my first chapter with line edits. Had to chop a 500-600 word section and watched my word count drop. :( But then my computer started acting strange so, in fear, I stopped typing. I know I have backup, but still...

Deadeyemouse
10-18-2018, 06:19 AM
Day 17 Man, it feels nice when a burst of inspiration hits you. I was able to get 2101 words on the page today.

DanielSTJ
10-18-2018, 07:42 AM
Hanging on!

655 today.

Busy day tomorrow, but reading week approaches! :D

Jason
10-18-2018, 08:35 AM
Yesterday was so crazy busy I got the big goose egg for a word count. :(

Rinse repeat, I got another goose egg today *sigh*

Not giving up though, will find my resurgence tomorrow. Congrats to everyone for all your efforts and support. :)

April Swanson
10-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Pterofan: Good job for getting some words down already.

WGough: BLLLEH world-building! My personal nemesis. Good luck with the scene. I know what you mean about craft books; my method is to read lots but then take only snippets from each one, forming my own view in the process. I really enjoyed The Breakout Novel by Donald Maas; also the Story Book by David Baboulene (I think that’s the name of it). I’ve read John Truby too. To be honest, I didn’t find it as helpful as others. Ursula Le Guin’s Steering the Craft is also pretty good.

Layla: Glad your commute has decreased a wee bit. Yee-ha 3/4 page :)

xenylic: 1k is awesome. And you never know – it might be more substantial than you think. Keep hanging’ on!

starrystorm: Oh snap. I began today’s session with ‘This file could not be opened because it doesn’t exist’. And I was like, yeah it does. Thankfully, all was well. Don’t focus on that word count – it’s important to see which bits need to be chopped.

Deadeye: Yay inspiration! Yay 2101 words!

Daniel: Great job sticking with it.

Jason: Awww, a big goose egg! I’m gonna think of it like that from now on. Don’t dwell on past eggs. One’ll hatch soon :)

Brain just didn’t fire up today. I slogged my way to 1k, then decided to switch to musing via hand. I also read, ate a doughnut, and listened to LeVar Burton tell me a story (not personally, sadly; via a podcast). So it was a mixed day.

Day 18: Decent bit; 5.5. miles; manual aquafaba whip FAIL

Pterofan
10-18-2018, 10:16 PM
So far today I've managed to successfully avoid writing. Time to have another sit-down with myself in regards to procrastination.

Last night I added an extra 100 words to the daily count when I revised an old flash fic that I realized could be expanded into part of a possible book. One that wasn't on my project list, by the way. My subconscious likes to trip me up.

Deadeyemouse - Whoo! You go!

WGough - one of each. Then have them fall in love.

WGough
10-19-2018, 03:38 AM
Day 18
Still stuck in that same scene. Think I found a decent revising book. The Last Draft: A Novelist's Guide to Revision by Sandra Scofield. I'll let you know.

Layla: Nice progress. Ten minutes better spent.

xenylic: Way to make your goal. Hope things run more smoothly for you soon!

starrystorm: Remind me, are you editing as you go or editing a finished draft? Argh! Glitchy computer sends me into a panic.

Deadeyemouse: Wow! Way to burst!

Daniel: That's some nice work, pardner!

Jason: Great attitude!

April: Thanks for the recs! Love the LeVar Burton podcast. 1K words is nothing to sneeze at. Nice work!

Pterofan: Your brain is my new bff.

Words is hard. Write, write, write.

starrystorm
10-19-2018, 04:15 AM
Edited two pages today. Ugh. Stupid grammar. I get hung up on simple sentences, trying to figure out if there's a better way to convey my thoughts.

@WGough--No, I never edit as I go. My second draft is where I open a blank document next to my first draft and rewrite the first draft on that blank page. That way I can make big changes as I go. My third draft is more conventional. I run down the second draft, changing things as I go.

Layla Nahar
10-19-2018, 05:37 AM
Xen - hang in there, and take it easy, too

ha ha Starry - congrats on that editing & I understand about the stopping when the computer acts up!

Nice work, mouse, with that 2k+!

WTG, Daniel

Jason, when live gives you lemons make lemonade - when it gives you goose eggs - make a big omlette! ;)

Congrats on the 1K April :) "manual aquafaba whip" <-- had to google that

Ptero - maybe your subconscious thinks you need a break?

Day 18

WIP 3/4 page
R/SC - earning service, chores, small grocery, cooking
$$ - a bit of work on the indy project

KayMitch
10-19-2018, 06:21 AM
A little over 4000 words revised since the 13th. Making slow but steady progress here. Another drive by. I apologize.

Jason
10-19-2018, 07:41 AM
Hmmm I didn’t want to go more than 10 days this month without writing but I fell asleep on the plane and now it’s almost midnight. So though pitiful, I have 37 words today

April Swanson
10-19-2018, 05:06 PM
Pterofan: Woo for new possibilities!

WGough: Hm. Maybe pass it for now and move ahead? If it’s giving you this much trouble there might be something about it you don’t love. I wait patiently to hear your assessment of The Last Draft!

starrystorm: If in doubt, go with simple. Simple and active. Two pages is great work, especially at line level.

Layla: Yeah I googled it after I started and realised it would take years. Damn Bake-off with its vegan meringues and making it all look so easy. Hope your chores weren’t too arduous!

KayMitch: Great work! Keep at it, partner.

Jason: Ugh, you had to go on a plane so you definitely deserve a break. And a book is basically one set of 37 words after another.

I started today by sketching out the end of Chapter Two, which was tripping me up yesterday. As usual, my reluctance to write it yesterday meant there was something in it that wasn’t tickling my fancy. I managed to find an alternative and then wrapped it up – about 1000 words. I also brain-dumped some raw ideas for Chapter Three and piddled around with my second project. Not bad for the end of the week. Happy weekend, folks.

Day 19: Decent bit; 10 miles; surprise sushi

Pterofan
10-19-2018, 09:24 PM
Day 18 - 205 words

Day 19 - 690 words

Very nearly up to the prewritten part. The end is in sight!

WGough
10-20-2018, 03:41 AM
Day 19
Got through the scene that was giving me difficulty. Somehow, cut, cut, cut translated to adding 2K words. Gonna move on and circle back. Print it out again, and give it another go. Yes, I know, writing is rewriting.
Stupid first chapters.

starrystorm: I like your style. Thanks for the tip.

Layla: Nice work.

KayMitch: Slow and steady wins the race. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Jason: 37 words is not nothing. Rest up!

April: I'm inspired by your writerly intuition. Thanks for the great advice. I'm making myself a little crazy with this one.

So far, The Last Draft is promising. I struggle with narrative summary, scene summary, summary in general. Good tips there. Less focus on polishing, more structure advice. My writing program frowned on exposition (is the devil) and summary (is lazy writing), so I'm trained to write everything in scene. According to Scofield, my writing issues are common among writing program graduates, and she addresses these problems deftly. I'm waiting to hate it.

Pterofan: Congrats on your progress.

Have a great weekend, folks.

starrystorm
10-20-2018, 06:10 AM
I'm not sure how much I edited today. A page? I got stuck on writing internal thoughts, but I finally picked the way I like to see them represented. I'm shooting for a "perfect" draft this time. Of course, perfect meaning readable. I don't want to end up in the editing-loop I'm prone to get stuck in.

Jason- You beat the blank page! That's 37 more words you won't have to do tomorrow (Or is midnight tomorrow?). Let's just say your next writing session.

April-- Active and simple was the option I chose because it looked better.

Pterofan--Yes, power through. And of course, celebrate when it's reached.

WGough--Last draft! That's awesome.

Layla Nahar
10-20-2018, 07:21 AM
Hii Kay - good to see you and congrats on that progress :)

Jason - imo - you're a winner - 1) you wrote something (it's the title of the thread ;) ) and you came here and claimed your victory. Way to keep at it :)

April - funny about the reluctance thing - and so many of us have the idea that we 'just need to push past it' etc. (ha ha and yes, the people on those programs are goddamn wizards)

Ptero - that day 19 word count!

Gough - rewriting! You're my hero

Starry - Congrats on that page :)

Day 19

WIP 1 page
R/SC - earning service (half day) & then kind of a big nap, moar tidying & out for dinner w/ a friend (actually being social!)
$$ - indy research

Jason
10-20-2018, 08:09 AM
355 today

Pterofan
10-20-2018, 08:53 PM
Day 20 - 1352 words

At least half of that was prewritten, but who cares because IT'S FINISHED! Draft One is done! I'm going to take the rest of today off and probably read or something. Tomorrow I'll start the next project in line, unless something pops up and distracts me.

This one's going to need to rest a while before I go back to revise it, and will probably need a printout and maybe even a retype for cuts 'n' stuff. The final word count was a hair over 21,000 words for what I'd thought would be a "short" story. I may let it sit through November because I just remembered that's NaNoWriMo. I think I'll write the M/M SF romance for that. That's another one where I've got chunks of it already written, so I'm ahead of the game.

starrystorm
10-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Day 20 - 1352 words

At least half of that was prewritten, but who cares because IT'S FINISHED! Draft One is done! I'm going to take the rest of today off and probably read or something. Tomorrow I'll start the next project in line, unless something pops up and distracts me.

Yes! You finished. That's awesome. Take a break.

Deadeyemouse
10-21-2018, 04:35 AM
Got a bit behind and slacked off over the course of Days 18 and 19. Which was sad coming off a 2k+ day. However, today was back on track day.

Day 20 saw a good amount of progress at 1671 words.

Jason - 355 is great, my dude!

Pterofan - Great job reaching the ever hard to get "the end"! That is cause for some celebration, a nice meal, or something. A break at least. I'm kind of in the mood for a good quesadilla. I should eat.

starrystorm
10-21-2018, 05:43 AM
7 pages edited today, including fixing a minor plothole.

Layla Nahar
10-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Nice, Jason

Nice Ptero - the 1k+ words and The Finishing :D:D

Hey mouse, congrats on the 1k+ :)

Congrats on the editing Starry and on the fix :)

Day 20

WIP 1 1/4 page
R/SC - earning service, tidying
$$ - indy research

Taylor Harbin
10-21-2018, 07:55 PM
Ok, I might have been a touch melodramatic about bailing. A new magazine has opened, DreamForge, and I’m reworking one of my flash pieces for submission. Two handwritten pages done already. Not back in my full groove, but I’m doing something.

KitKate
10-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Changing my plans for this month has been so much better for me. I'm editing a chapter a day, sometimes two, and its been nice just putting all my concentration on the one project.

Well done to everyone this week!

Pterofan
10-21-2018, 09:51 PM
Still goofing off from yesterday. I haven't even vacuumed yet. But I did the dishes! Win!

WGough
10-22-2018, 12:52 AM
Day 20
Doubty day. Decided to cut seven chapters from Book I. Planned a radical restructure.

Day 21
Drafted new opening chapter for Book I. 1,168 words.

starrystorm: Nice work.

Layla: Wow, that's some serious progress. Congrats!

Taylor: Glad you're back. Hopefully your break was motivating! Way to hang in there.

KitKate: Glad your new strategy is working out for you!

Pterofan: A reminder that I still have to live in my house. Off to dish!

Have a great week, folks!

The Second Moon
10-22-2018, 05:19 AM
I haven't posted here before, but I have some good news. I finished a 6,069 word short story in two days! Two days! I usually take longer than that. And this time I loved the story the whole way through. I actually had fun writing it.

starrystorm
10-22-2018, 05:26 AM
Edited 23 pages today! I'm about a tenth of the way through of draft three in the way of page count. Tomorrow is where I'm entering a huge revision. Lots of cutting of words and characters. Not looking forward to it.

Layla-- Good work

Taylor--And doing something always counts!

KitKate-- Sometimes a change is needed. Good luck!

Pterofan--Win!

WGough--Seven chapters and a radical structure. Wow. Good luck with all of that!

Second Moon-- That's incredible! I'm glad you found something you love to write.

Layla Nahar
10-22-2018, 05:53 AM
Hey Taylor - WTG 2 pages :D

Ptero - enjoy that day off!

Gough - augh! the doubts!! But that's some nice 1k+ worth of drafting!

Welcome Moon :) that fun is the best part

starry - wtg with the editing!

Day 21

WIP 1/4 page
R/SC - earning service, naaappp… packing lunch & stuff for tomorrow
$$ - indy research

April Swanson
10-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Pterofan: WOOHOOOO! :snoopy:

WGough: Sending you lots of good vibes for the revision process. It’s always such a messy pain in the ass. I always struggle with opening chapters. I think it’s because I know so little in the beginning, voice/character can be quite off. That’s my guess, anyway.

starrystorm: Sounds like a good approach. There does have to be one draft where you’re like, right, gotta make this thing presentable! Awesome job editing 30 pages! I’m also sending you lots of good vibes. Revisions are so hard.

Layla: I know; sometimes it’s hard to tell between laziness and a bust scene. Woohoo for writing over a page and being social! I know which one would be harder for me…

Good stuff, Jason.

Deadeye: Awesome count! Maybe you’re the type of writer who works best with bigger counts followed by a break? Not everyone’s creative process suits drafting every day. And those pauses can be just as important as time spent at the keyboard. Your brain can do some amazing stuff behind the scenes when you’re thinking about something else.

Taylor: Two pages is very impressive, considering you’re meant to be on a break ;) DreamForge is a cool name.

KitKate: First read that as ‘changing my pants’ :D Glad you’re new approach is working well for you.

Second Moon: Woo! Great work! The story stars aligned for you on that one :)

I got a wee bit done over the weekend on both projects – just sketching stuff out in my notebook. I’m still struggling to figure out Chapter Three… I’m down in London for most of this week, so I think I’ll accept that no words will be written. Instead, I’ll take the time to think some big thoughts. Or that’s the plan anyway. My thoughts will probably be small, and related to cake.

Day 20: Wee bit; 3 miles; Bodyguard binge
Day 21: Off
Day 22: Wee bit; 8 miles; Lady Soul :heart:

Jason
10-22-2018, 06:04 PM
Day 21 - a paltry 127 but I’ll take it
Day 22 - was gonna take my birthday off but I already have too many zeros for the month so will write at lunch

Taylor Harbin
10-22-2018, 07:10 PM
Took about two hours, coffee only, but I reworked by story to 1300 words, 200 shy of the maximum. Hopefully I'll be able to tweak it into a better draft before Halloween. Even so, what I've got is much better than the original version.

Pterofan
10-22-2018, 09:55 PM
Day 21 - 265 words

Still coasting the goof-off wave from the weekend. Tonight I'll go through the notes and fiction bits I've already jotted down for the romance book and maybe get going on it. And I did finally vacuum yesterday, so that's done.

Happy birthday, Jason! :partyguy:

xenylic
10-23-2018, 12:34 AM
Paid my dues today! I registered for all my classes for the spring. Although, I didn't get all the classes I wanted, I'm still happy with the schedule. It's also a nice reminder that this semester has an actual fixed point in time when it ends :roll:

I also got my 1k words in, and this was some high quality words that I put down today. It was especially satisfying since I had a late start with the craziness of this morning.

Also, got a clean 7 miles of running in today. Good way to start the week! :D

DanielSTJ
10-23-2018, 01:51 AM
I'm bowing out of the challenge this month.

Life has been disappointing me too much. I'm struggling just to get out of bed.

Good luck, all.

Jason
10-23-2018, 03:07 AM
189 words

Sorry you're bowing out Daniel - go take care of you first - then rise again in November! :)

Layla Nahar
10-23-2018, 04:04 AM
April, enjoy your excursion to the south, and set that WIP on aside

Way to give yourself a nice gift, Jason

Nice work, Taylor

Congrats on those 265 Ptero :)

Daniel - Take a nice break - & I hope you feel better soon

& congrats on the 189 Jason!

Day 22

WIP 1/4 page
R/SC earning service, chores, & then finally to work on a procrasti-task… (Adulting. Feh)
$$ - indy research

Deadeyemouse
10-23-2018, 08:10 AM
Hi everyone! Missed in a check in day yesterday. Got a little ill during the night, but still got a tiny bit done.

Day 21 201 words. I also ran my work through a program that showed me I had a large abundance of the words "back" and "like" that I spent a good while editing.

As of Day 22 I have written 1587 words.

DanielSTJ
10-23-2018, 03:22 PM
My depression has peaked and descended. Hoping for a return to form today.

April Swanson
10-23-2018, 03:41 PM
Happy Birthday, Jason! You’re a real trooper for getting words down.

Taylor: Sounds like a good shift.

Pterofan: Ride that wave! Ride it all the way to the white, sandy shores, where a sun lounger and strawberry daiquiri await.

xenylic: Very productive Monday! I feel lazy in comparison. Enjoy the 1k club :)

Daniel: Hugs. Take the time you need to look after yourself.

Layla: Procrasti-task! Like rearranging bookshelves? I shall enjoy my jaunt, thank you :)

Deadeye: Wooft, great count! Scrivener also has a word tally function. Sometimes, I don’t want to know.

Chapter Three is slowly coming together on paper, though I do mean slowly. I’ve figured out the beginning scenes, but I’ve still got the mushy middle to wade through. Hopefully boring train-time tomorrow will help me along. I’m off-grid now for the rest of the week, off to the Big Smoke. Happy writing, team!

Day 23: Wee bit; 7 miles; shabby coffee

starrystorm
10-23-2018, 04:01 PM
DAY 22

I wrote, but not on my story. I did edit another person's story.

The Second Moon
10-23-2018, 04:05 PM
DAY 22

I wrote, but not on my story. I did edit another person's story.

Yes, and that person is very grateful that you took the time to edit. Thank you.

Pterofan
10-23-2018, 10:29 PM
Day 22 - 178 words

Technically, it was probably more like 200+ words, because I wrote down a snippet of a scene so I wouldn't forget it, but it wasn't directly part of what I wrote yesterday, so I'll hold off counting those words until I add them into the spot where they belong. It occurs to me that explanation won't make a lick of sense to anyone except another writer.

April - I'm not much of a drinker, so I think I'll have a root beer float instead. :D

Layla Nahar
10-24-2018, 03:28 AM
wtg, mouse!

Good to see you, Daniel :)

April - like - as in I just don't want to face this task at all - last few times I had to deal with it I procrastinated really really badly

Keep on keeping on, Starry!

Day 23

WIP 3/4 page
R/SC earning service, chores, more work on the procrasti-task (well, I guess I'm not procrastinating on it any more, for now, at least)
$$ - indy research & analysis

WGough
10-24-2018, 04:23 AM
Day 23
Still working on a new beginning for Book I. Drafted 982 words.

Layla: Procrasti-task. Love it!

Pterofan: Yes! Wrote a new opening sentence at a stoplight today. We get it.

starrystorm: A generous act that will be returned to you.

April: Wishing you a safe trip. My going is also of the slow.

Daniel: Had a bout myself this past weekend and through yesterday. Better days!

Deadeyemouse: Nice word count. Which program are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

Jason: Way to go!

xenylic: You are a life machine. Nice work.

I'm thinking as much as revising this month. Makes me itchy. Keep at it everybody!

Deadeyemouse
10-24-2018, 07:44 AM
WGough: I use Google Docs at the moment as I do work from multiple computers, one being my work computer. My job allows for quite a bit of downtime between tasks that allows me to write. Can't use outside programs, so Google Docs it is! The program I ran it through was wordcounter.com, I saw it had a function to tell you what words you were using a lot of and I was curious. Interesting to know Scrivener has that built in.

Day 23: Day at work did not allow for downtime, so I came home, locked myself away from distractions and completed 1165 words

starrystorm
10-24-2018, 10:11 PM
DAY 23 (Yesterday): Thankfully I edited 10 (maybe more) pages early in the morning because I didn't feel like doing anything later. I rewrote a scene because it didn't make sense, and I thought of a new problem today in that same scene.

DanielSTJ
10-24-2018, 11:09 PM
100 words yesterday.

xenylic
10-24-2018, 11:37 PM
Back in the saddle again! I managed a strong 1.4k words today after a bit of a bust day yesterday. Kinda slowing the pace down a lot to stretch this section out, but I'm okay with that for now. Maybe I find a gem or something in here, or maybe I end up condensing it upon revision, but it's allowing me to pump words out relatively pain free at the moment, which is my top priority.

I also ran my four miles today before class, super early in the morning, instead of trying to crunch it in midday. As much as it sucks to wake up early, I can't refute the results. It's a huge load off come my writing time, even if it makes the morning 10x more chaotic. As with most things, it'll take a bit of tweaking and getting used to, but I think that switch is here to stay.

Now I got to deliver a public speech I should've memorized days ago (whoops), and do a dress rehearsal late into tonight for a concert I'm in tomorrow. Suffice to say, I'm a little stressed out, but I'll get through it somehow.

2,200 words away from my October goal! Hurrah!

Pterofan
10-24-2018, 11:41 PM
Day 23 - two and a half pages longhand, which for me comes out to around 1000 words. Pity it wasn't for any of the projects I'm working on. Yeah well. Writing is writing. Back to the book this evening.

Deadeyemouse
10-25-2018, 05:23 AM
Day 24 I am fairly certain that finding time to write anymore today is unlikely since I will be working late and having to go back in early. However, I did find small breaks to knock out 453 words

Layla Nahar
10-25-2018, 05:24 AM
Gough - beginnings are hard. Revisions are hard. You're a hero.

nice work, mouse!

Congrats on that editing, starry :)

Congrats on those 100, Daniel!

Xen - congrats on the writing and the running :D

Ptero - you wrote something - you wrote a lot!

Day 24

Whew - overslept by 1 hour because of my fritzy phone… Still managed to get to work on time - but had to skip my wake-up writing session & do it when I got home. (Feeling good for being able to manage it outside of my routine)

WIP 3/4 page
R/SC earning service, the procrasti-task
$$ - a wee bit of indy research

Keithy
10-25-2018, 06:29 AM
Just an update. I'm getting to the end of the house painting and odd jobs that were put off for months. Bathroom 95% done, 2nd bedroom 85% done, 3rd bedroom 99% done. Hopefully in a couple of weeks time I can return to writing.

All I have done in writing terms is jot down random ideas.

starrystorm
10-25-2018, 04:13 PM
DAY 24: Rewrote a hard scene.

Pterofan
10-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Day 24 - about 3/4 page longhand, which should mean maybe 300 words. I'll take it.

As far as the romance series goes, this morning in the shower I solved a major plot problem that affects not just one book but fixes a problem I anticipated in the finale. I should take showers more often. Well ... maybe I should anyway. :tongue

xenylic
10-25-2018, 11:11 PM
1.1k today, and keeping my characters moving along. I almost got swerved into the wrong direction with where I left off yesterday, but I managed to sort that out relatively pain free.

One more writing day should give me 13k this month, then, as far as my book is concerned, I'm wrapping up early on writing. This extended crunch time really left me behind on a bunch of classwork and misc. writing (such as my blog, but that'll have to be scrapped for October).

Less than a week left to go!

DanielSTJ
10-26-2018, 04:13 AM
Coming back with a, hopefully, enthusiastic return. today.

I'm starting to fall in love with literature all over again.

Tip to the hat, all of you. I'll let you know how I do.

Magnus
10-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Hey everyone. My computer is out of order. I won't be able to start a new thread for next month. Would one of the regulars care to do it?