PDA

View Full Version : questions about wedding preparations

Nim
05-21-2006, 08:28 AM
sorry if this sounds complicated...

I'm rewriting a short story i wrote last year. it's kind of like a "chick lit" story. anyways, the story is about a group of thieves that steal important wedding things (the cake, the gown, etc) and hold them from ransom and ask for money from "bridezillas".

was wondering how likely would it be for the cake, gown, centerpieces, etc, to be held at one location prior to the wedding. i was thinking the church where the ceremony would be held. also wondering if a weeding planner would oversee all these things (location, decorations, etc) and how much involvement is usual. thanks

Peggy
05-21-2006, 01:49 PM

I'm rewriting a short story i wrote last year. it's kind of like a "chick lit" story. anyways, the story is about a group of thieves that steal important wedding things (the cake, the gown, etc) and hold them from ransom and ask for money from "bridezillas".

was wondering how likely would it be for the cake, gown, centerpieces, etc, to be held at one location prior to the wedding. i was thinking the church where the ceremony would be held. also wondering if a weeding planner would oversee all these things (location, decorations, etc) and how much involvement is usual. thanksI can say for my wedding they weren't held in one place ever. I had my dress and bouquet , a baker delivered and set up the cake at the reception, a florist did the flowers, etc. These were all done shortly before the reception. I didn't have a professional wedding planner - just a friend of the family who made sure things got done. However, I didn't have a particularly big or fancy wedding, and I didn't really stress about a "theme" or having the perfect colored napkins or bridesmaids with hideous dresses or any of the other things you hear about "bridezillas".

Although the cake and flowers weren't in the same place until shortly before they were needed, I think that they are at least prepared at least a day in advance. That would mean that a thief could steal the cake or flowers the night before or morning of the the ceremony. Alternatively the florist, baker, etc could be waylaid en route.

MadScientistMatt
05-22-2006, 06:40 PM
This was not the case at my wedding at all - the only things we had at the same place for any length of time were the rings and the gown.

When I got married, she kept the dress at her house for several months (and, following tradition, wouldn't let me see it until the wedding day). She also had the rings kept at her house - I bought them at the same time as the engagement ring (We had actually decided to get married before The Proposal). She picked up the flowers just a few hours before the wedding, after having her hair done.

The same morning, I went over to the bakery and picked up the cake. I took it back to my house and then swung by there after the wedding to bring the cake to the reception, which was at a local Japanese restaurant.

Our wedding was pretty low-key, though, not the sort of thing that would call for a wedding planner.

Variant Frequencies
05-22-2006, 08:08 PM

was wondering how likely would it be for the cake, gown, centerpieces, etc, to be held at one location prior to the wedding. i was thinking the church where the ceremony would be held. also wondering if a weeding planner would oversee all these things (location, decorations, etc) and how much involvement is usual. thanks

Not likely at all. The cake, for example, would be delivered to the place of the reception shortly before the reception. Stealing one of those monstrosities would be a huge undertaking. The bride would probably bring the gown with her to the ceremony. The florist would handle the delivery and setup of flowers for the ceremony and the reception.

Some big-budget weddings are indeed coordinated by a wedding planner. Now if you had her kidnapped and held for ransom money from the desperate bridezillas, that might be a pretty cool story. :)

MadScientistMatt
05-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Stealing the cake depends on the size of it and its complexity. The one I had fit nicely into a cardboard box that was just a little too large to fit in my fridge. It was about as difficult to move around as a computer monitor with no wires - awkward but quite possible for a normal person to carry around. It posed no problem to carry it around in the trunk of a small car. Now, one of those incredibly complex fantasy cakes would be a big production to move. But if you got it while it was still in boxes and not set up, it should be less trouble.

motormouth
05-22-2006, 09:01 PM
The bakery that made our cake took it to the restaurant where our dinner was and put it into the fridge there.

My dress I kept with me, although it was at my parents' house for awhile because I lived with my husband before we were married. My mom used this opportunity to show my aunts the dress, so everyone knew where it was.

When we picked the rings up from the jewellers, we gave them directly to the best man.

The florist delivered the flowers to the church, and my sister took the flowers that were for the reception in a cooler in her car.

My MIL made the favors, and she had them in her car.

My cousin had the place cards, table map, etc. for the reception in her car.

My youngest sister had the guest book and the scrapbook pens.

My aunt had my grandmother's ring.

It would have been very difficult to steal all of these things. The bakers were particularly careful of their cake. Everything anyone had, except my grandmother's ring, was replaceable, although I suppose if I was a bridezilla, it would be difficult to replace things. Even the cake could have been replaced with another cake from the bakery that was the second choice. I had backups for almost everything, because I was worried things would be lost or forgotten.

In my opinion, thieves should steal the rings. Or the film negatives from the photographer. Because if they steal the flowers, anyone can run to a florist and get flower arrangements, and a reader who is not a bridezilla just wouldn't see the importance of the perfect flowers.