Help for an 8th grade wanna-be writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugjune

Registered
Reaction score
I live in the South, but I'm not a Southerner
Hey all, I've started working with an 8th grader at our charter school who would like to become a writer. She has 4 hours a week to work in school for her passion project. I'm working with her to learn more about writing, getting her into a regular writing routine, etc, but I'd love to help her find a supportive amazing community like this one. Does such a thing exist for an 8th grader?

Last edited:

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
I don't have any further tools to add because I'm a scrub, but I do have encouragement to offer! It sounds like she's going about it the right way! Also, everyone starts somewhere. She'll just need to work and keep working even after the project is done. Just... please suggest she not write during other classes ^^;

(My friend and I used to have two notebooks open, one for notes, the other for writing. It's tempting to do, but she will miss out on information if she does this.)

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Part of the problem of finding an online writing community for kids are the various laws concerning internet use for teens; SCBWI tried to have a young writers' forum a few years back but dropped it because of the difficulty of making sure it adhered to all the regs to ensure kids' online safety. I'm not sure what the joining age is here, but I do know there have been high school-aged members.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Figment was a great writer's community for teens; it has been absorbed into a self-publishing site targeting adults.

Teen Ink might be helpful; I'm not familiar with it.

What I've seen of the Young Writers Society has impressed me.

U.S. Federal COPPA restrictions generally restrict online forums to 13 and older.

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any further tools to add because I'm a scrub, but I do have encouragement to offer! It sounds like she's going about it the right way! Also, everyone starts somewhere. She'll just need to work and keep working even after the project is done. Just... please suggest she not write during other classes ^^;

(My friend and I used to have two notebooks open, one for notes, the other for writing. It's tempting to do, but she will miss out on information if she does this.)

I did this in school, too, and it actually made my grades better because I stayed focused. Once I got into college, I tried to be a "responsible" student and not write during class...and my grades went down. I was falling asleep in class because I didn't have enough to keep me occupied! So, I'd argue that writing in class isn't always a bad thing, particularly if you're bored out of your skull.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I have no resources to add, just wanted to offer a great big thanks from someone who would have died and gone to heaven to have had a knowledgeable adult take an interest in me as a writer when I was a young teen.

You're a hero. :heart:

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!! I thought of Wattpad but she's REALLY WORRIED about criticism, so I wanted something that felt more supportive.

She might have to find a mentor in real life rather than some random people on the internet to avoid the most unvarnished criticism. It might be worth reaching out to your local writer's groups for meetings and such to see if anyone might be a good fit. Obviously parental supervision might be required but their mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.