Book copy editors - contract question

calendula

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is a repeat of a post in another forum but I didn't get any response so I am trying over here...

Are there any seasoned book copy editors out there (non-fiction)?
I am about to meet with a large book publisher to discuss assignments/contracts and I am wondering what the typical rights/contracts will be. Am I going to be looking at a Work for Hire contract? I really hate those but from the book publisher's point of view, what other kind of contract will they be able to offer me...?

It's my first time around with book editing. I really want the work but I'd also like a contract I can live with.

Any insights gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I would assume that of course you'd be looking at a work for hire contract. What other rights to the work would you expect?

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
"Work for Hire" is not a term that applies in this case. You'll be either a freelancer (independent contractor) or an employee.

What you need to hammer out are nuts and bolts things: how long a turn-around time will you have; will you charge hourly, by the page or by the project; determining that a page is one side, doublespaced and for purposes of an estimate, 250 words. What scope of copyediting does the publisher want: light (little more than a proofread for egregious errors), medium, or heavy. Those kinds of things.

Mo

Last edited: