It's Banned Books Week in the U.S. What's your favorite banned book?

What books do you suggest we feature for Banned Books week?

• George written by Alex Gino Written for elementary-age children, this Lambda Literary Award winner w

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • The Kite Runner written by Khaled Hosseini This critically acclaimed, multigenerational novel was ch

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • To Kill a Mockingbird written by Harper Lee This Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, considered an America

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi Reasons: gambling, offensive language, political viewpoint. Additiona

• The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited for age group. Additional reas

• In the Night Kitchen, by Maurice Sendak Reasons: nudity, offensive language, sexually explicit

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Something else, explained in a post or Rep comment or PM

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Angie Thomas, by The Hate U Give," a bestselling novel about a black teenage girl whose best friend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's banned books week in the U.S. That's actually a bit of a misnomer, since the books in question are more specifically described as "challenged," as in challenged by members of the public who think the book(s) shouldn't be part of school or public libraries, or school curricula.

I'd like to feature banned books at the top of AW this week. I'm looking for suggestions from the community.

You can vote in the poll below, or Rep me or PM me.

Here's some sources of information about banned books:

The American Library Association's banned and challenged books resources includes

ETA: A couple of people have asked me about adding books; I'm perfectly willing to do that. Also you can vote for more than one. I'm really truly just looking for help on what banned books to feature.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That one's easy, TKAM, because it's constantly jockeying with one other title for my favorite book, period.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I voted for "other" to make a sweeping generalization to include every single title published that has been banned because it "promotes" teh ghey.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I voted for "other" to make a sweeping generalization to include every single title published that has been banned because it "promotes" teh ghey.

It's interesting to see the emergence of books that include or feature teh ghey in the various annual lists, and, especially, the emergence of inclusion of transgender characters, and the intense pushback against, for instance, the existence of same-sex penguin couples.

Even without any reference at all, to sex, or biology beyond an egg hatching.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Something else (other): Ban all book banning. :ily: books.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting to see the emergence of books that include or feature teh ghey in the various annual lists, and, especially, the emergence of inclusion of transgender characters, and the intense pushback against, for instance, the existence of same-sex penguin couples.

Even without any reference at all, to sex, or biology beyond an egg hatching.

Especially with many libraries across the US promoting said books, even ones as innocuous as promoting acceptance of peoples' differences, with Drag Queen Story Hours.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
TKAM over THUG, but I really liked THUG, so tough call. Actually, Persepolis was pretty good too, and...well, y'know what? They're all really good. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But my favorite banned book of all times is Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, with the original Steven Gammell illustrations. Not for any high-falutin' reasons, just cuz those picture were great!

Status
Not open for further replies.