Any hobby writers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I feel as if I'm the only hobby writer in the world and that every other writer is dead set on publishing. Not that that's going to change me from a hobby writer, though.

Anybody out there a hobby writer like me. Does anyone just write for fun? Does the though of getting published not thrill you? Please share.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Don't you have any desire to share your stories with others, or do you just not want to be published?
I only want to share my stories with my sister, who also writes. She's the only one who knows remotely what my stories are about and I want to keep it that way.

EDT: It's not that I don't think my writing is good. It's that I think my writing was meant to be mine alone and the fact that publishing doesn't thrill me.

Last edited:

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Lost in the woods of TN and prefer it that way
I feel as if I'm the only hobby writer in the world and that every other writer is dead set on publishing. Not that that's going to change me from a hobby writer, though.

Anybody out there a hobby writer like me. Does anyone just write for fun? Does the though of getting published not thrill you? Please share.

Well, at the moment, I have no interest in being published. I'm writing simply because I have a story to tell, and I want to see it whole and complete, and "set in stone", more or less... And I don't think that's possible if I keep it locked up in my head.

Will there come a day when I want it not only out of my skull, but out for the entire world to see, if they/it are interested? Maybe. But for now, that's just not a goal. And I think due to that, it makes it easier for me to learn what I need to, and get it done.

I see far too many people questioning themselves, having a crisis over whether they're good enough, or have any business writing... they just don't seem to take any joy in what they're doing, due to being too obsessed with publishing/money/status or standing.

That's not me. Never has been, never will be. Someone likes what I've done, fine. They don't, well, I'm certainly not gonna lose any sleep over it, or let their opinion stop me.

And that's just it. For now, and for me.

O.H.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I write stories because they're stories I know I would love to read as a reader. And I didn't seem to able to find enough of them from other writers.

The possibility of publishing has never been the reason why I write. I just like the creative process and I seem to have some talent for storytelling, or at least more talent for storytelling than most other creative pursuits. It makes me feel good.

I wouldn't mind publishing my stories at some point in the future but at the moment I think neither my stories or myself are quite ready for that step. So it is not something I actively seek out. Publishing is still Maybe Someday for me.

I know I would love getting feedback if I had more readers (through publishing) but I know I could also do without the stress that undoubtedly comes with writing professionally.

Erinell

Registered
Reaction score
I know several people who write just for the inner satisfaction and pleasure of it, without any intent of ever publishing. I know even more who write for the same reason, but who do take advantage of CreateSpace (soon KDP) to produce a print book for themselves or family -- but have no intention of getting into the whole marketing thing. The goal is to leave a footprint, that they were there and made their mark. After being pummeled with rejections, I'm thinking these bright and vibrant people just might have a point. These days, the media options are so accessible and simple to use that there's definitely an outlet for those whose ambition is to write well rather than market brilliantly. So yes, I think it's a perfectly valid (and probably sane!) goal.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I know several people who write just for the inner satisfaction and pleasure of it, without any intent of ever publishing. I know even more who write for the same reason, but who do take advantage of CreateSpace (soon KDP) to produce a print book for themselves or family -- but have no intention of getting into the whole marketing thing.

Cool.

Thanks everyone disproving my fear that I was alone as a hobby writer.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I've been poking at a story for ages. I like it but I doubt it will ever be finished, much less published.

But I'm having fun. And doing research.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I guess if I was actively writing, I'd be a hobby writer. I'd like to publish but don't have the energy to deal with it: I don't want to promote anything to anyone; I don't want to interact with random strangers online; I don't want to build a name/platform/brand; I don't want to read in a store or sign books. If I ever come up with the energy to pull off actually submitting (synopsis, cover letter, updating research on agents/editors/publishers) I'll be amazed.

Last edited:

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I am a hobby writer. I have no ambition to be published the traditional way. I have a completed novel, novella, and a few short stories and have others in the process of being written. My plan is to start a website and post my writing there for whoever wants to read it.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Part-time published writer, full-time hobby writer. :)

I write because I like to write and it's stories that I want to read as a reader but not finding out there. If there are others who like what I write and decide to publish it, welcome. Otherwise, I'm quite happy to be as I am.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
I write because I enjoy it, but I also would like to have novels published. I don't think one negates the other; I write as my hobby and when I've had short stories published, it feels like being paid for a hobby. Part of that hobby is pushing myself to keep getting better and work more efficiently, which I enjoy figuring out. The only way it would no longer be a hobby was if I ended up writing full-time (which is extremely unlikely) and then it would be a career I felt passionate about, so losing it as a hobby wouldn't be an issue. Either route is a win.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I've been considering posting my stories online on Wattpad and/or other sites, rather than pursuing professional publishing.

I'd love to have others enjoy my stories, and while making money from that would be nice, the former would bring me more happiness. (Plus I know how much published authors realistically make, anyway.) And, to be honest, thinking about publishing causes me to pressure myself to an unhealthy degree and to the point where writing stops feeling like fun, and I'd rather be happy with writing than rich from writing.

Maybe one day, when I'm ready for it, I can pursue publishing. (And if I have popular stories online, those could help my chances at being published.)

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
And, to be honest, thinking about publishing causes me to pressure myself to an unhealthy degree and to the point where writing stops feeling like fun, and I'd rather be happy with writing than rich from writing.

Exactly. I feel the same way.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Its completely fine. There are people in my writer's group who only write for fun, they never mention wanting to be published, and they are just as valid contributors even though they haven't taken the big leap.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I was a hobby writer before I decided to take that big step and try publishing. It really wasn't all that I'd hoped for, though. So after failing at that, I took several steps back and decided to go back to writing as a hobby. I'll always be a hobby writer because it's fun and rewarding to me even if I'm not making a buck or two off it.

I guess now the difference is that I'm no longer afraid of sharing my stories with others.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
A good friend of mine has a dozen or so novels he's written for nanowrimo. He has zero interest in publishing and just files the manuscripts away. I respect that.

I don't want to promote anything to anyone; I don't want to interact with random strangers online; I don't want to build a name/platform/brand;

I feel the same way about playing guitar. I don't want to play in front of anyone or make recordings or market myself. For me, it's pure enjoyment and relaxation. It's what I do when writing starts to stress me out.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
When I first started writing, I was dead set on getting published. But over the last few years I've found myself becoming more and more of a hobby writer, which has been quite freeing. To be honest, I don't like the changes that have happened in publishing recently, and don't want someone dictating what I can or can't write for business reasons. I would though like to self-publish a single copy of my novels to keep for my own enjoyment.

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
As a hobby writer, I've decided to publish my novel online on a website I create myself. I can illustrate the chapters any way I like, and have hidden links to other stories or music that might go along with it.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I have a number of hobbies, one of them writing. Many of my hobbies I could earn money from, but I learned a long while ago, if I have to start treating it like a business/money-making venture, it ceases to be fun. So all my hobbies, including writing, I do for fun. I write the sort of stories I like to read. I started out writing fanfic, and still occasionally dip my toe in those waters (although a different fandom than the one that started it all), but most of my stories are original characters, because it's fun to create your own characters and your own world for them to play in!

I have three other people who love to read anything I write, so... I have an audience of four. :)

I did have a few stories published a number of years ago, but like jennontheisland, I lack the energy to do all the required marketing, etc. these days. So I write for myself and a couple of friends, and make covers for my stories because I like playing with Photoshop. It keeps my brain functioning well to learn new things through research and trial and error with Photoshop.

It's kind of heartening to realize I'm not the only one on the board who isn't the least bit interested in getting published. I was kind of feeling a bit like an imposter in some ways.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
It's kind of heartening to realize I'm not the only one on the board who isn't the least bit interested in getting published. I was kind of feeling a bit like an imposter in some ways.

I felt the same way. That's why I started this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.