Is this two proposals, or one?

Alpha Ralpha Blvd

Registered
Reaction score
I have an interest in publishing a beginning programming textbook, and am creating a proposal.

My original thought was programming in C++. But Java is some 4-6 times as popular. I think both could benefit from my approach, but C++ needs it more*. So do I

* make a proposal "I have this cool idea for teaching programming, and can do either C++ or Java"; or
* make a proposal "I have this cool idea for teaching programming in [pick one]"? Possibly with "Oh, and [other language] needs this approach too, so, series potential [or however I'd say that]."

TIA.

--
* The approach is to be fun to read and with fun projects. This is abysmally lacking in C++ textbooks. I'll look into Java more, but I think it's fun projects and dull reading.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like two separate books to me. But bear in mind that if you are going to look for an agent or trade publisher (I assume you are, as you're writing proposals) you're going to need some sort of authorial expertise to show that you're qualified to write this: so, years of work in the field, some higher-level academic qualifications, that sort of thing.

Also, consider if this sort of book is really needed. I ask because one of my sons recently took a job at a tech company. He's a mathematician, and has some knowledge of coding: he needs to use C++ for the work he'll be doing, so learned how to use it over a weekend. He said it's easy to learn and wasn't difficult at all, and that there are plenty of resources online.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Java is used by lots of US government contractors. C++ is kinda old school, but still in use for legacy code bases. C# is more modern. There are already lots of books covering the languages, not to mention sites such as Stacked Overflow, which is my go to resource.

A book of detailed projects using C# and .NET, or Java and the equivalent framework, might be useful, however. The basics of the language aren't hard to pick up, but it takes a lot more than a weekend for someone to learn a useful amount. (Sorry, Old Hack.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
No need to be sorry, eqb. I don't know how much prior knowledge my boy had, or what standard he reached. But he's doing his job well now, and having fun.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
No need to be sorry, eqb. I don't know how much prior knowledge my boy had, or what standard he reached. But he's doing his job well now, and having fun.

Awesome!

(Tell him to check out C# if he has time or inclination. Even though it's the successor to C++, it's a much more elegantly designed language, imo.)

Alpha Ralpha Blvd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an expert in the area (PhD. with 25+ years of teaching experience). However, I have zero years experience writing textbook proposals, so --!

What I get from How to Write a Book Proposal is: pitch one book, but you can add a page for the closely related book in the same package. And maybe the editor will like the add-on better (or not).

Thanks to all who helped.

Best,
ARB