PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for plain romance novels?

Laer Carroll
08-29-2018, 03:18 AM
Lately it seems all the romances I come across at the bookstore have some dire side plot, some hidden menance, perhaps. That's fine for some of my reading.

But I find I also miss books where the biggest threat to the characters is that they'll fail to connect with the love of their life. I'm getting a little tired of brooding mysteries mixed with the romance.

Got a suggestion or two? A link to where I can buy it online would be great.

MaeZe
08-29-2018, 05:26 AM
Not sure if it's what you are looking for but Devil's Bride (http://www.stephanielaurens.com/books/the-cynster-novels/devil-s-bride/) is a pretty good period piece. You have to put all your PC expectations away and remember the period is the 1800s (I think, could be the 1700s). I haven't read the others in the series, she wrote stories about different family members. Devil is the duke's name, there's nothing supernatural involved.

Isobel
08-29-2018, 06:42 AM
Julia Quinn and Eloisa James. Both smart, hilarious, period romance writers. Eloisa James is actually the pen name of a Shakespeare professor -- and lots of literature references show up in her work. I love them both.

ElaineA
08-29-2018, 10:23 PM
I'm almost done with a contemporary called Bittersweet, by Sarina Bowen, that's pretty much exactly the "threat level" you describe. The FMC is a chef looking to open a restaurant in Boston, the MMC is an organic farmer in Vermont. What's between them is distance and nothing else. It's a quick easy read with lots of laughs, although, warning: the sex scenes are pretty truncated, but what's there is explicit. I wouldn't classify it as erotic romance, but it's pretty high heat-level.

Professor Yaffle
09-12-2018, 12:22 AM
I've read the first couple of books in the Warrender Saga (A Song Begins and The Broken Wing) by Mary Burchell, and I think they'd fit your description. Some reviews mention finding them heavy on the music description (they're set in the world of opera), but that's something I liked about them, and I didn't find it excessive. As with MaeZe's suggestion, some of the attitudes on display are very much of their time, but I still go back to them as comfort reads.

Marissa D
09-12-2018, 05:12 AM
Take a look at Harlequin's website--they have descriptions of all their various lines with the types of plots each features. You'll probably be able to find something there.