PDA

View Full Version : Which actor matches this description?

MarkEsq
08-28-2018, 02:59 AM
An odd question, but I do have a good reason for asking.

Which actor would match these criteria?:

"A male actor aged between 35 and 55, whose career maybe isn't as hot as it used to be, but one who still has some clout. Someone not yet desperate, but who sees desperation on the horizon... Someone who still has enough clout to get financing, and whose career could be revived by being cast in a TV series."

I know this calls for speculation and a degree of imagination, but I'd love to hear some names from you movie buffs. (Also, to the degree the description sounds a little insulting or derogatory, I'm sorry. I just wanted to quote the person who asked me the question and get as accurate an answer as possible.)

Thanks!

mrsmig
08-28-2018, 03:41 AM
Vince Vaughn. Brendan Fraser. Adam Sandler.

cornflake
08-28-2018, 04:08 AM
A few of these might be on the outside edge of your age range.... John Cusack, Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Hugh Grant, Colin Farrell, Ed Norton, Jack Black...

jennontheisland
08-28-2018, 05:07 AM
That crew of guys in the 90s that all kinda looked alike to the point that I couldn't really tell them apart and therefore can't remember any of their names?

Dead Poet's Society type guys.

Noizchild
08-28-2018, 05:43 AM
Adam Sandler or Ashton Kurchier?

Chris P
08-28-2018, 06:07 AM
A few of these might be on the outside edge of your age range.... John Cusack, Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Hugh Grant, Colin Farrell, Ed Norton, Jack Black...

The first one I thought of :)

Some of names in this thread are well over 55 by now surely.

Maryn
08-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Hugh Jackman (or, as an acquaintance liked to call him, Huge Ackman)
Joaquin Phoenix
Jude Law
Nicolas Cage
Adrian Brody
Colin Farrell
Toby Maguire
Ethan Hawke
James Marsden
Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Orlando Bloom
Robert Pattinson
Ryan Phillippe

BenPanced
08-28-2018, 09:16 PM

Not to be confused with Huge Yakman, the anthropomorphic superhero.

mewellsmfu
08-29-2018, 11:00 PM
I'm not a big fan, but my sister is and I think Jackman is still a top box office draw. He recently starred in several movies and has another one coming out in November, has won a Golden Globe, an Emmy and a Tony and is active in musical theater. I doubt he'd be trolling for television shows. (I did love his entrance when he hosted the Tony Awards. It exhausted me to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKTlTsQgy5w

As for the others, I don't know much about them, but I think Ryan Phillippe is already doing television. I have often wondered what happened to Orlando Bloom. I haven't seen him much recently.

Elle.
08-29-2018, 11:19 PM
Yes Hugh Jackman is big box office draw at the moment especially with the recent success of Logan and The Greatest Showman.
Ryan Philippe is starring in the Netflix Shooter series. I believe Orlando Bloom is doing theatre at the moment in London.
James Marsden is riding the massive success that is Westworld.
Robert Pattinson is purposely doing indie movies, which is his true passion. I mean, the guy hated Twilight.
Joaquin Phoenix has a pretty healthy career

Lauram6123
08-29-2018, 11:56 PM
Cuba Gooding Jr.
Freddie Prinze Jr.
Emilio Estevez
Val Kilmer

cornflake
08-30-2018, 12:30 AM
Agreed on Jackman -- few actors are hotter atm really. I can't imagine a studio head who wouldn't drop everything if he called. He's had a couple of flops, but they weren't pinned on him. He's a pretty reliable open, as attached he's a draw, and his project continues to bring in a shitload across media.

I thought Westworld had shot itself in the foot with S2? I agree Marsden isn't what I'd call desperate -- he's always gotten a decent stream of roles in film and tv but just saying I heard Westworld had shit the bed in S2 creatively and ratings-wise.

ElaineA
08-30-2018, 12:51 AM
Bradley Cooper.

cool pop
08-30-2018, 06:42 AM
Bradley Cooper.

OMG! I forgot about old Bradley Cooper!!! What the hell happened to him? Is he still acting? He was in everything at one while and then disappeared. Has he made anything since The Words?

cool pop
08-30-2018, 06:46 AM
Vince Vaughn. Brendan Fraser. Adam Sandler.

:roll:Sorry. I'm rolling on the floor. I doubt Vaughn or Fraser's career can be saved by anything let alone a show. And Adam has a ton of new movies on Netflix. He doesn't make as many movies as he used to but I think he does more writing behind the scenes. He's a writer and has his own production company. But Vaughn and Fraser... Vaughn drank his career away as well as had a string of bombs. Fraser went MIA for about 15 years. You can't just disappear like that and expect to still have a career.

And I like Vaughn. I always thought he was sexy until he turned into John Goodman. When he started getting fat and bloated I knew he had a drinking problem. I liked him more when he did dramas then he went to those low-rate screwball comedies. Poor Vaughn. I bet he's begging for a Swingers sequel.

cool pop
08-30-2018, 06:53 AM
Joaquin Phoenix
Jude Law
Nicolas Cage
Adrian Brody
Colin Farrell
Toby Maguire
Ethan Hawke
James Marsden
Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Orlando Bloom
Robert Pattinson
Ryan Phillippe

Catwoman approves this list. Sigh. So many I used to love. I loved JRM until he went on that racist rant at the airport. What a sad life, all that drinking and drugging. He kept losing jobs because he couldn't stay off the bottle. And that racist rant hurt him big time too. Is Nicolas Cage under 55???? Hell, as long as he's been around? I thought he was clocking 60. I LOVE Adrian Brody but he was only gonna go so far on that one Oscar. His career choices stunk after then. Ryan Phillippe at least has a show on TV. He's on the Shooter. Wow it is something to see how fast people fall. But to be honest, with some of these dudes they made it on being heartthrobs half of them aren't good actors. I used to think Jonathan Rhys was but he tends to overact on things and hasn't done anything decent since The Tudors. I like Ethan Hawke and he never was a HUGE star, more of a character actor.

Good list, sadly.

cool pop
08-30-2018, 06:55 AM
Cuba Gooding Jr. Lord. A travesty in the making. Another one bitten by the Oscar curse.

cool pop
08-30-2018, 06:57 AM
Cuba Gooding Jr.
Freddie Prinze Jr.
Emilio Estevez
Val Kilmer

Is Emilio and Val younger than 55? If so, life is cruel. LOL! And I used to love Val Kilmer in the 80s before he started looking like a bloated woman who has had too much plastic surgery.

cornflake
08-30-2018, 06:58 AM
OMG! I forgot about old Bradley Cooper!!! What the hell happened to him? Is he still acting? He was in everything at one while and then disappeared. Has he made anything since The Words?

I don't have any recollection of The Words even existing. Cooper gets a lot of work -- and he had a baby kinda recently? He's in the Star is Born remake I just saw a preview for 11 damn times (that looks like shit but there it is), he was in that horrifying thing with the lying sniper, and he's the raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy, at least?

:roll:Sorry. I'm rolling on the floor. I doubt Vaughn or Fraser's career can be saved by anything let alone a show. And Adam has a ton of new movies on Netflix. He doesn't make as many movies as he used to but I think he does more writing behind the scenes. He's a writer and has his own production company. But Vaughn and Fraser... Vaughn drank his career away as well as had a string of bombs. Fraser went MIA for about 15 years. You can't just disappear like that and expect to still have a career.

And I like Vaughn. I always thought he was sexy until he turned into John Goodman. When he started getting fat and bloated I knew he had a drinking problem. I liked him more when he did dramas then he went to those low-rate screwball comedies. Poor Vaughn. I bet he's begging for a Swingers sequel.

Fraser has been doing a bunch of tv, and Vaughn I think gets workish still, despite being Vince Vaughn. Sandler I don't understand why anyone has ever watched his 'comedies,' but they still pay him to make them, now straight-to-Netflix, yeah, heh.

cool pop
08-30-2018, 07:01 AM

No, not John! John is still acting. Get my man off this list. LOL! Ooh, I have always loved Johan Cusack. Had a crush on him back in the 80s when I was a child.

Hell Dennis Quaid should be 65!!!:ROFL: I know darn well Dennis Quaid ain't under 55! Surely not. Hugh Grant either. I could be wrong about Hugh. I'm too lazy to Google but I know DQ has to be older than 55 surely. The rest of them, I never cared for. And Jack Black, knew he wouldn't last.

I'm loving this thread. ROFL!

cool pop
08-30-2018, 07:07 AM
I don't have any recollection of The Words even existing. Cooper gets a lot of work -- and he had a baby kinda recently? He's in the Star is Born remake I just saw a preview for 11 damn times (that looks like shit but there it is), he was in that horrifying thing with the lying sniper, and he's the raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy, at least?

Fraser has been doing a bunch of tv, and Vaughn I think gets workish still, despite being Vince Vaughn. Sandler I don't understand why anyone has ever watched his 'comedies,' but they still pay him to make them, now straight-to-Netflix, yeah, heh.

With Cooper I only watched the Hangoever movies, that movie with Sandra Bullock (she was hilarious) and The Words was with Zoe Sandana. I only watched that one because I'm a sucker for interracial romances but the movie sucked. Adam has his own studio so that's why he's still working. If he didn't produce all his own movies he wouldn't be anywhere. I was watching Adam back when he was on SNL with Chris Rock, Chris Farley, and all those from the early 90's. He is all right but I never found him that funny. Too silly for me. I only like his comedies with Chris Rock. Shoot, we can put him on the list.

PyriteFool
08-30-2018, 07:07 AM
Bojack Horseman?

cool pop
08-30-2018, 07:14 AM
Chris Rock
Martin Lawrence
Chris Tucker
Steve Zahn
Ben Stiller
Zack Braff
George Clooney
Cristian Bale (Yeah I said it. :tongue Yes, he is still acting but he isn't the big name he used to be)
Jared Leto (was he ever really anything?)
Mekhi Phifer
Wesley Snipes
Edward Furlong (sad, had so much potential after T2, drugs)
Nick Stahl
James Marsden
Lukas Haas
Macauley Culkin
Elijah Wood

I know, I know, I'm probably pushing it with some of these guys with the age range. I was too lazy to Google.

cornflake
08-30-2018, 07:33 AM
Chris Rock
Martin Lawrence
Chris Tucker
Steve Zahn I'd say he's not declined really -- always got work, gets work, wasn't ever really a power player imo? Is on tv.
Ben Stiller
Zack Braff
George Clooney ???
Cristian Bale (Yeah I said it. :tongue Yes, he is still acting but he isn't the big name he used to be)
Jared Leto (was he ever really anything?) I.... well when he won that Oscar?? Also he gets a lot of work. Since, you know, he won that Oscar, and before that, and I don't think he wants more with the band? He's like, everywhere?
Mekhi Phifer
Wesley Snipes
Edward Furlong (sad, had so much potential after T2, drugs)
Nick Stahl
James Marsden
Lukas Haas
Macauley Culkin
Elijah Wood

I know, I know, I'm probably pushing it with some of these guys with the age range. I was too lazy to Google.

Does Culkin even still act, besides in some arty whatever shorts for people? I think Haas is legit working.

Kjbartolotta
08-30-2018, 08:17 AM
No one's mentioned Karl Urban yet. For that matter we could mention his fellow Kiwi Russell Crowe, but...I'd rather not.

mewellsmfu
08-30-2018, 09:59 AM
It says something about me that I have no idea who Mekhi Pfifer, Nick Stahl or Lukas Haas are. George Clooney is very much still A-List. Highest paid actor in Hollywood last year. I think Karl Urban has done a number of tv shows and stays busy, but he's never been a big name. I like him a lot, though. Nailed McCoy in ST. Think Leto is on the upswing, not the down, and Steve Zahn works steadily, so agree with cornflake there. Believe Val Kilmer is over 55, probably several more. Hugh Grant would be a good one, but he's definitely older than 55.

Not sure why some stick and others don't.

cornflake
08-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Haas is the kid from Witness (Harrison Ford on an Amish farm); I think that's the last time he was famous for a role -- now a working character actor. Pfifer I think is only 'known' because he was in 8 Mile and mentioned in a song; but he's been a random character actor for a while -- was on ER. I dunno who Stahl is, or Karl Urban.

Kilmer has been ill for a long while (or ill and not), which I presume had to do with the dropping out thing.

cool pop
08-31-2018, 12:52 AM
Stephen Dorff. Sigh. Always had a huge crush on him for years. He is such a talented actor but kept making them terrible movies! He was so hot in Blade but it's been down hill since. Unfortunately he's known more for his bad boy persona and all the women he's dated including Pamela Anderson.

cool pop
08-31-2018, 12:54 AM
Haas is the kid from Witness (Harrison Ford on an Amish farm); I think that's the last time he was famous for a role -- now a working character actor. Pfifer I think is only 'known' because he was in 8 Mile and mentioned in a song; but he's been a random character actor for a while -- was on ER. I dunno who Stahl is, or Karl Urban.

Kilmer has been ill for a long while (or ill and not), which I presume had to do with the dropping out thing.

I forgot Val had some type of illness. I know Karl Urban by name but couldn't tell you how he looked.

Stahl is another ex-child actor. I think he's talented. Was in a lot of movies including one of the Terminator films. Maybe if you see him you'd know him: https://www.google.com/search?q=nick+stahl&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNpre_1JXdAhVq_IMKHckCBrEQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=974

cool pop
08-31-2018, 12:56 AM
Balthazar Getty. Another handsome, ex-child actor who has some acting chops. He's all gray now but still foxy. Anyone not familiar with Balthazar, he was the main kid in Lord of the Flies. Has since been in tons of B-movies. Can't think of any real hit he's been in since being grown.

cool pop
08-31-2018, 12:59 AM
It says something about me that I have no idea who Mekhi Pfifer, Nick Stahl or Lukas Haas are. George Clooney is very much still A-List. Highest paid actor in Hollywood last year. I think Karl Urban has done a number of tv shows and stays busy, but he's never been a big name. I like him a lot, though. Nailed McCoy in ST. Think Leto is on the upswing, not the down, and Steve Zahn works steadily, so agree with cornflake there. Believe Val Kilmer is over 55, probably several more. Hugh Grant would be a good one, but he's definitely older than 55.

Mekhi Pfifer is the black guy who was in the movie O with Julia Styles. Has been in a lot of things, mostly black films but he is mainly a supporting actor. I used to have a crush on him too.

Here is his pic. Unfortunately he is fat now but used to be cute. Not sure if you listen to R&B but he is also known for being the dude in the Brandy and Monica video for the The Boy is Mine song. He also played Brandy's boyfriend in I Know What You Did Last Summer 2.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=974&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=ilmIW6bDKOmpjwSklYhQ&q=mekhi+phifer&oq=Mikhi+&gs_l=img.1.6.0i10k1j0l3j0i5i30k1l2j0i10i24k1l2j0i2 4k1j0i10i24k1.160459.168432.0.172589.19.12.7.0.0.0 .122.914.9j2.11.0....0...1c.1.64.img..1.17.915.0.. 0i67k1j0i30k1.0.37TCMQ74YQI

cool pop
08-31-2018, 01:01 AM
Jamie Foxx. He's doing a game show now. Don't believe he's the hot actor he once was.

Jay Hernandez. In case you don't remember him, he was the cute guy in the Kirsten Dunst film Crazy Beautiful. I thought he had so much potential but he's hardly done anything worth mentioning since. He has snagged the main role of the new Magnum show, which will be a huge mistake. I'm sorry but no one can play Magnum but Mr. Mustache himself. The reason Magnum was so popular was because Tom Selleck had all the women sweating from their perms down to their toenails in the 80's. LOL! That was my aunt's favorite show. Without him that show wouldn't have lasted a season and I doubt the new one will too. Jay Hernandez? Please. I mean, just don't see how this will work but maybe they'll prove me wrong. Why not just do a new show starting Jay? I don't get all these remakes.

cool pop
08-31-2018, 01:10 AM

I don't know about George. Has he done anything since he got married? He's not as hot as he once was. He used to be in everything. He'll always be popular but I can't remember the last movie he's made or maybe it slipped past me. He's not the highest paid actor by a long shot. Tom Cruise was the second-highest actor last year and the first was someone named Shak Ruh Kahn who I have no idea who that is. I just checked the list. LOL! I believe The Rock is this year's highest paid actor. This was the Forbes Top 10. I don't think Clooney even made the list. I am sure Clooney is one of the highest paid of all time but not the highest paid last year.

Tazlima
08-31-2018, 01:14 AM
Not to be confused with Huge Yakman, the anthropomorphic superhero.

Or Crisp Rat - who's actually doing very well for himself at the moment.

Maryn
08-31-2018, 01:50 AM
Hahaha!

Elle.
08-31-2018, 01:54 AM
Balthazar Getty. Another handsome, ex-child actor who has some acting chops. He's all gray now but still foxy. Anyone not familiar with Balthazar, he was the main kid in Lord of the Flies. Has since been in tons of B-movies. Can't think of any real hit he's been in since being grown.

He's mainly done TV works. He was in Charmed, Alias, Brothers and Sisters,etc...

I don't know about George. Has he done anything since he got married? He's not as hot as he once was. He used to be in everything. He'll always be popular but I can't remember the last movie he's made or maybe it slipped past me. He's not the highest paid actor by a long shot. Tom Cruise was the second-highest actor last year and the first was someone named Shak Ruh Kahn who I have no idea who that is. I just checked the list. LOL! I believe The Rock is this year's highest paid actor. This was the Forbes Top 10. I don't think Clooney even made the list. I am sure Clooney is one of the highest paid of all time but not the highest paid last year.

I think for George is not a question of not getting work than just being happy not to work and enjoy life. He's been producing a lot, however is apparently busy filming the TV adaptation of Catch-22 (he is also producing it).

cornflake
08-31-2018, 02:37 AM
He's worked since he got married, but I think he's been more behind-the-scenes since they had the kids.

Regardless, the question was about people whose careers aren't what they used to be, who still have the clout to secure financing, but could use a revival in a good series. That's for sure not Clooney. Likewise a bunch of the kid actors I don't think ever had much clout. Like, could Mekhi Pfiffer ever get financing on his name alone attaching to something?

Clooney can pick up the phone and secure enough to start a superhero franchise of his own, I'm pretty sure, even with a bunch of lost money trailing behind him. He's Clooney. Likewise Jackman, who has a lot more good money recently under his name, can, I'd wager, get whomever and whatever he wants with a phone call.

Can Cusack? He does still get work, and has decades of friends and good will and good work, and I'd think he can call up money and pals (god knows he's given out enough work to get some back) if he wanted, but he's not the hot property he was, and some critically-hailed cable or streaming thing starring him could put him back up there. That was the way I was thinking about the question anyway.

Though the Cusacks seem to swap a bit and I feel like she's been more up recently, heh. I <3 them both, especially together (GPB is the epitome, imo, even tho it wasn't portraying the actual relationship like SA). Someone put them in something together.

mewellsmfu
08-31-2018, 04:54 AM
You're right about 2017. Clooney's the highest paid actor in the world: https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/money/a22861344/george-clooney-net-worth-tequila-casamigos/

Dude makes over $27K every single hour.

cornflake, I also love the Cusacks.

Davy The First
08-31-2018, 06:05 AM
Kinda hope el Clooney will enter the ring for president myself.

He's not flawless, but it might save the world form Trump part 2 (although i doubt trump will be em, 'free' for part 2)

cool pop
08-31-2018, 08:30 AM
He's worked since he got married, but I think he's been more behind-the-scenes since they had the kids.

Regardless, the question was about people whose careers aren't what they used to be, who still have the clout to secure financing, but could use a revival in a good series. That's for sure not Clooney. Likewise a bunch of the kid actors I don't think ever had much clout. Like, could Mekhi Pfiffer ever get financing on his name alone attaching to something?

Clooney can pick up the phone and secure enough to start a superhero franchise of his own, I'm pretty sure, even with a bunch of lost money trailing behind him. He's Clooney. Likewise Jackman, who has a lot more good money recently under his name, can, I'd wager, get whomever and whatever he wants with a phone call.

Can Cusack? He does still get work, and has decades of friends and good will and good work, and I'd think he can call up money and pals (god knows he's given out enough work to get some back) if he wanted, but he's not the hot property he was, and some critically-hailed cable or streaming thing starring him could put him back up there. That was the way I was thinking about the question anyway.

Though the Cusacks seem to swap a bit and I feel like she's been more up recently, heh. I <3 them both, especially together (GPB is the epitome, imo, even tho it wasn't portraying the actual relationship like SA). Someone put them in something together.

About Clooney someone named Nic Cage too and I think Nic could definitely make anything happen still as well with as long as he's been around and his family ties. I am not a Nic Cage fan by all means but I'd say he could secure something if he picked up the phone too. LOL! Some might say the same about Dennis Quaid (from my hometown) but not so sure.

I guess we can say it's not fair to name some of the folks who are just older. It's true that when you are older, you rarely get the same shots in Hollywood as when you are younger. Women have if rougher than men as we know. I think many of the guys we named just got old and past their Hollywood prime but still are famous with some clout. Others were just hot for a short while or got big for being heartthrobs but couldn't actually act. It's easy when you are young and good-looking to have love crazed teenagers carry you through (as someone mentioned, Robert Patterson) but when you get over a certain age you need to be able to show you got some acting chops. You can't get over on good lucks forever. Though some non-actors like Tom Cruise continue to make it. Cruise can't act. He got lucky because a bunch of teens thought he was cute in the 80s and he made a bunch of movies where he hooked up with big actors like Paul Newman. I definitely call Cruise lucky. I'm not hating on him, I like some of Cruise's movies but not a day goes by that I am not shocked at how long his career has made it when guys who could out act him with a blindfold on can't get a job.

Honorable mention: Richard Gere. I know he's WAY older than 55 but I loved Gere. He's another one where age worked against him. He is still in things from time to time but no way the caliber of actor he was in the 90's.

So, yeah, some of the men we named lost their star when they got old opposed to some who couldn't last even a decade. I don't know what happened to Jude Law. He was the hottest thing at one time but like these others, fizzled. Gotta have staying power or you won't last in this business.

cool pop
08-31-2018, 08:37 AM
You're right about 2017. Clooney's the highest paid actor in the world: https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/money/a22861344/george-clooney-net-worth-tequila-casamigos/

Dude makes over $27K every single hour.

cornflake, I also love the Cusacks.

I am a huge John Cusack fan. Can't stand Joan or Ann. Nope. LOVE John. As for Clooney, I was going by what actors got paid in Hollywood from their movies. I wasn't thinking about endorsements or products. I read the Forbes list of the highest paid actors in Hollywood last year and Clooney wasn't on the list.

Forbes list in case anyone is interested: https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/forbes-highest-paid-actors-of-2017/

And I made a mistake on the other post. Mark Wahlberg was the number highest paid actor last year according to this list. Not trying to argue or anything just wanted to show the list so people know I didn't make it up. LOL!

Jackie Chan is on the list????? Wow. I was a big Chan fan back in the day but I think he does a lot of movies back in China now. I'm just surprised he's on the list even though I know he's still a huge actor, I can't remember what he's done over here lately.

mewellsmfu
08-31-2018, 10:28 AM
Actors do all kinds of work. Voice overs, theatre, advertisements. It's all acting. If a singer sings in a Broadway show and then does vocals for commercials or backup for another singer, she's still a singer. Don't like to box people in like that. It would be like saying if you write a commercial, that make you less of writer because you also wrote a trade novel. It's more impressive to have a bunch of best sellers, but if an agengy liked what you write and offered you a hundred grand to deliver a commercial, that's still legitimate writing. Clooney made $40 million endorsing nespresso and appearing on their ads. That's still acting. None of them derive all their incomes from making movies. And he's the highest paid in 2018, so who was in the #1 spot last year is immaterial. Point is, guy's worth a half billion. If that's washed up, then washed up looks pretty good to me.

I do think Hollywood is unkind to aging actors. But Harrison Ford, Ian McKellan, Gary Oldman, Robert DiNiro, John Malkovitch, and a host of others are still sought after. Sean Connery is in his eighties and turned down Speilberg's offer to cast him in another Indiana. He says he's retired. Period.

And before youth culture dominated movies, Cary Grant was hot into his 80s. Clarke Gable, John Wayne...many others were huge stars until they died. Clint Eastwood has acted and directed for decades and still packs them in. And then you had Sir Alec Guiness. No lighweight there. Writing an actor off because they are older doesn't mean the aren't still getting plenty of work.

For women, the choices are even more pathetic. Helen Mirren and Judy Dench have broken the age barriers, but so many have had so much work done they're unrecognizable. It's a very unkind business.

But Cool Pop, I will give you this one: Tom Selleck will always and forever be Magnum. And it wasn't just his drop-dead appeal to women that cemented his role in that show. It was his down-to-earth personality and humor that made him embody that character. He IS Magnum.

Diana Hignutt
08-31-2018, 05:49 PM
About Clooney someone named Nic Cage too and I think Nic could definitely make anything happen still as well with as long as he's been around and his family ties. I am not a Nic Cage fan by all means but I'd say he could secure something if he picked up the phone too. LOL! Some might say the same about Dennis Quaid (from my hometown) but not so sure.

I guess we can say it's not fair to name some of the folks who are just older. It's true that when you are older, you rarely get the same shots in Hollywood as when you are younger. Women have if rougher than men as we know. I think many of the guys we named just got old and past their Hollywood prime but still are famous with some clout. Others were just hot for a short while or got big for being heartthrobs but couldn't actually act. It's easy when you are young and good-looking to have love crazed teenagers carry you through (as someone mentioned, Robert Patterson) but when you get over a certain age you need to be able to show you got some acting chops. You can't get over on good lucks forever. Though some non-actors like Tom Cruise continue to make it. Cruise can't act. He got lucky because a bunch of teens thought he was cute in the 80s and he made a bunch of movies where he hooked up with big actors like Paul Newman. I definitely call Cruise lucky. I'm not hating on him, I like some of Cruise's movies but not a day goes by that I am not shocked at how long his career has made it when guys who could out act him with a blindfold on can't get a job.

Honorable mention: Richard Gere. I know he's WAY older than 55 but I loved Gere. He's another one where age worked against him. He is still in things from time to time but no way the caliber of actor he was in the 90's.

So, yeah, some of the men we named lost their star when they got old opposed to some who couldn't last even a decade. I don't know what happened to Jude Law. He was the hottest thing at one time but like these others, fizzled. Gotta have staying power or you won't last in this business.

Tom Cruise was very solid in both Interview with a Vampire and Collateral. It's not that he can't act, he just doesn't very often.

lizmonster
08-31-2018, 05:52 PM
Tom Cruise was very solid in both Interview with a Vampire and Collateral. It's not that he can't act, he just doesn't very often.

Edge of Tomorrow. A really nuanced performance there.

Elle.
08-31-2018, 05:59 PM

Actually hated him in Interview with a Vampire, I thought it is one of the worse casting decision along with casting Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon. Can't comment on Collateral, never watched it as it stars two people I can stand the least on screen (Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx). My main issue with Tom Cruise apart from his early work is that I always feel like I'm watching Tom Cruise: Tom Cruise playing secret agent, Tom Cruise playing an ex-soldier, etc... never watching the character.

Twick
08-31-2018, 06:01 PM
I'm not a big fan, but my sister is and I think Jackman is still a top box office draw. He recently starred in several movies and has another one coming out in November, has won a Golden Globe, an Emmy and a Tony and is active in musical theater. I doubt he'd be trolling for television shows. (I did love his entrance when he hosted the Tony Awards. It exhausted me to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKTlTsQgy5w

As for the others, I don't know much about them, but I think Ryan Phillippe is already doing television. I have often wondered what happened to Orlando Bloom. I haven't seen him much recently.

Yes, I'd say Mr. Jackman's career is steaming along nicely, thank you.

I haven't heard of Ryan Phillipe in anything for years.

rhymegirl
09-08-2018, 11:30 PM
Hell Dennis Quaid should be 65!!!:ROFL: I know darn well Dennis Quaid ain't under 55!

He's 64.

yesandno
11-20-2018, 01:24 AM
I was going to say Crispin Glover, but when I looked it up I saw that he is in American Gods. Guess he's already in that category! Haven't seen any of American Gods yet, but I'm always late on catching TV series.

Frankie007
11-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Chris Kataan? he was pretty hot (looks and talent) during the 90s SNL...Roxbury Bros) would love for him to have a comeback movie! or something. (heck Jim Carrey wants to revive In Living Color...so sign up Kataan!)