• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

No Longer Looking - YA Urban Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightd

Registered
Reaction score
Found some excellent beta readers that gave me really helpful comments. No longer looking. Thank you.

Book Name: Luckless
First Chapter Length: 6 pages/3552 words

Looking for a few people interested in critiquing the first chapter of my finally completed manuscript. I just need to know if the start works. If it doesn't, I need to go back to the drawing board. To save you time, I don't need line by line edits, but if you see a lot of errors, awkward sentences, or things that don't make sense, you can just note it at the end like "There were a few grammar errors I saw." etc. etc. General comments are fine, but if you want and if you have the time, I don't mind line by line edits. I would really appreciate any kind of critique from you -- short or long.

In return, I can swap for the first chapter of your work. Mine you, since I'm looking for someone who can tell me if my first chapter works or not, I don't know if I can help you in that area, but I can give it my best. My strength lies in grammar and typesetting. I can give you feedback of what I like or dislike, and I can point out if something doesn't make sense to me.

The only beta readers I've had are 2 of my friends. One of them has been reading my drafts for years, and he says that definitely, my writing has improved by a wide margin since my last attempt at a novel. My 2nd friend loved my novel, but of course, friends are/could be biased, right?

I'm still working on the query letter, so I can't really post that to hook you. I've put working on the query letter on hold until I get approval on my first chapter.

Rough breakdown (it's really rough):

The story is about a boy who's had bad luck all his life, but he discovers he can keep it under control if he makes bad things happen to other people instead.

By chance, he meets others with the same problem and ability as he does, living in a world hidden amongst our normal society. There are these people out to kill them. They are their polar opposites, people who can make good things happen when they want. They've been fighting each other since the beginning of time.

Recently, their enemy has discovered a weapon that can put an end to all those born with bad luck once in for all. With his newfound friends, he has to stop them, but of course there are lots of obstacles in the way.

If he fails, they're all dead.

Last edited:

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
I like it too, I would love to swap my first chapter with you. By your breakdown I think our books target similar audiences. So, PM if you want to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.