• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ebb Tide Press

Ebb Tide Press

Registered
Reaction score
I didn’t see a call for submissions section. I apologize if this isn’t the preferred place for this.

You can visit us at www.ebbtidepress.com.

What we’re looking for: Thrillers only (for now)

Word count: Full-length works (40k-60k).

To submit, please email [email protected] with the following information:

A query letter introducing yourself
A brief synopsis of your unpublished book
Three to six sample chapters in PDF, EPUB, or MOBI Format

We will never ask an author to pay for anything regarding the production, distribution, or marketing of a book. Ebb Tide takes responsibility for all editing, proofreading, design, formatting, distribution, and marketing of your work.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Probably should post in the Bewares and Backgrounds thread and be prepared to answer all questions, even if uncomfortable. :) It's for the good of the community.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I echo cool pop. I need to know a lot more about a publisher than this post and your website make available to potential authors. As it is, there's so little information that I would not submit my work to Ebb Tide.

Maybe that would be a terrible mistake, but there's only one way to find out. Let us get to know you, your background in publishing, your marketing plan for the thrillers you hope to acquire, and all that by starting a thread about yourself (as a business) in Bewares.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Calls for submission go in either Paying Markets or Nonpaying Markets, depending upon what you're offering. Be sure to read the posting guidelines.

In the meantime, moving this from GPQ to BR&BC.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did a little Google-fu on Ebb Tide today, and it wasn't easy - they barely have an internet footprint, which leads me to believe they are brand spankin' new. Their website is barren of any information other than submissions info and book/author pages. Only two authors are listed, and only one of them (Casper Valentine) has any internet presence. One of his books appears to have been self-published in May; the other is listed as an upcoming release. I expect that the other author (K.B. Amor, whose upcoming book may be erotica) is writing under a pseudonym.

Besides the website, the only other info I could find about Ebb Tide Press were profiles on writingforums.com and mywriterscircle.com, with a single, very recent post on each that echoes Ebb Tide's posts here.

My guess? Casper Valentine = Ebb Tide Press. In other words, a self-publisher who's decided to start his own press.

Last edited:

Ebb Tide Press

Registered
Reaction score
Hi mrsmig,

Most of your information above is correct. I could have saved you some time, I would have told you all that if you would have asked :). I’m partially joking, I certainly understand an author doing due diligence. K.B. Amor is another author, and part of Ebb Tide, who I’ve been friends with for over fifteen years. Perhaps I should have made a more formal introduction before posting anything. I apologize for my haste.

Yes, we are a new company. I’m still setting up the business side, working on contracts, etc. I created Ebb Tide Press for several reasons. For one, I know many authors who have been sucked in by the vanity presses that charge to publish their books and offer nothing on the back end to help them succeed.

I’ve also found that self-publishing is not for everyone. I know many authors that are great writers but don’t have the time or the desire to deal with the marketing side. Aside from writing I’ve been a marketing data analyst for 17 years. Then there are other’s that don’t want to deal with the book creation, hiring an editor, cover design and so forth. That’s where we can help. Please note, we do not charge any fees. That is not our business model.

I’m by no means trying to push down any throats. I do not wish for anyone to submit manuscripts if they are not comfortable doing so. I’ve currently formed a relationship with two other authors and we are only looking for one or two additional authors to work with, at this point. We want the ability to provide highly tailored marketing to the select author’s we work with. If our author’s and their books don’t succeed, we don’t succeed.

Good luck and happy writing!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Most of your information above is correct. I could have saved you some time, I would have told you all that if you would have asked :). I’m partially joking, I certainly understand an author doing due diligence.

Not to speak for mrsmig, but we shouldn't have to ask, and we shouldn't have to read between the lines and make guesses. All of this should be transparently spelled out on your web site.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Not to speak for mrsmig, but we shouldn't have to ask, and we shouldn't have to read between the lines and make guesses. All of this should be transparently spelled out on your web site.

Yep, or it looks like you're trying to hide something.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi mrsmig,

Most of your information above is correct. I could have saved you some time, I would have told you all that if you would have asked :). I’m partially joking, I certainly understand an author doing due diligence. K.B. Amor is another author, and part of Ebb Tide, who I’ve been friends with for over fifteen years. Perhaps I should have made a more formal introduction before posting anything. I apologize for my haste.

Yes, we are a new company. I’m still setting up the business side, working on contracts, etc. I created Ebb Tide Press for several reasons. For one, I know many authors who have been sucked in by the vanity presses that charge to publish their books and offer nothing on the back end to help them succeed.

I’ve also found that self-publishing is not for everyone. I know many authors that are great writers but don’t have the time or the desire to deal with the marketing side. Aside from writing I’ve been a marketing data analyst for 17 years. Then there are other’s that don’t want to deal with the book creation, hiring an editor, cover design and so forth. That’s where we can help. Please note, we do not charge any fees. That is not our business model.

I’m by no means trying to push down any throats. I do not wish for anyone to submit manuscripts if they are not comfortable doing so. I’ve currently formed a relationship with two other authors and we are only looking for one or two additional authors to work with, at this point. We want the ability to provide highly tailored marketing to the select author’s we work with. If our author’s and their books don’t succeed, we don’t succeed.

Good luck and happy writing!

Thank you for your response. Soliciting submissions on sites like AW will (and should) bring your company under scrutiny. Transparency is always appreciated in this business, particularly as there are so many shady or just clueless/inexperienced publishers out there.

I hope at some point that, in the pursuit of even more transparency, you'll post your publishing/editing training and experience on your website. Writers should know what to expect when they sign with you. Some questions you may want to consider addressing:

1) Will you be an ebook publisher only, or will your authors' work be available in paperback as well?

2) If you'll be providing paperback editions, will you be able to get your authors' books into brick-and-mortar stores (and I don't mean that people can order the books from a bookstore; I mean will a potential buyer be able to go into a bookstore and find one of your titles already on the shelves?).

3) How do you compute royalties? Are royalties paid on "list" or on "net," and if the latter, on "net income" or "net profit?" (If this reads like Greek to you, you should read this excellent Writer Beware article about the different ways other publishers compute royalties.)

4) Will you depend heavily on authors to utilize their own social media platforms to promote their books, or will you have an actual advertising and promotion budget?