Ducktales 2017

O. Faulkner

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, is anyone else out there keeping up with the new Ducktales reboot from Disney? I'm a 90's baby that didn't have TV for a long while, so I didn't particularly grow up with the original series. I was still really excited for this reboot and, honestly? I think the writing for this show completely knocks it out of the park! I love what they do with the characters to keep it fresh, especially with Magika De Spell! Her arc in the season finale reminded me of the old Batman series! Anybody on here a fan of the original series? What do you think?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, is anyone else out there keeping up with the new Ducktales reboot from Disney? I'm a 90's baby that didn't have TV for a long while, so I didn't particularly grow up with the original series. I was still really excited for this reboot and, honestly? I think the writing for this show completely knocks it out of the park! I love what they do with the characters to keep it fresh, especially with Magika De Spell! Her arc in the season finale reminded me of the old Batman series! Anybody on here a fan of the original series? What do you think?

I was a huge fan of the original series, and to be honest, I watched about 10 minutes of the first episode and couldn't get past the voice actors.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I used to watch the original. It came on after I got home from school. Loved the theme song. I heard of the new one but hadn't seen it. I looked at a bit of it but wasn't interested. I was disappointed because I saw the name on my cable guide and got excited thinking it was reruns of the original.

CharlesXav

Registered
Reaction score
Haha! I literally just found out ducktales had a new show the other day. I didnt get to watch much of it as my two month old was crying but it seemed like poor Scroog lost all his money!

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I loved the old series when it was on after some initial disappointment (mostly about sidelining Donald).I liked how they incorporated original Barks plots (but later hated that they used that clumsy assistant guy as a Donald stand-in, especially in those). I watched some of it in the wake of the new show and hated almost everything. Still some good jokes (like Ma Beagle's cakes as a running joke) and solid storytelling, but it's just very slow, the animation seems stiff and don't get me started on that version of Webby. The timing could be fixed by speeding up the player (it's best at 1.25x speed, in case you want to try). Even the theme song improves.

They made even more changes for the new show, departing both from the original show and the comics (making Huey, Dewey and Louie older? And different?? That's... gutsy!) , but the result is consistent and fun enough to work as an alternate. It's faster (as one should expect) and well-written, Webby is a character now, Donald is more present and the story arcs really kept me engaged. Oh, and David Tennant is in it, so what's not to like? On the downside, making Gyro Gearloose a Big Bang Theory cast-off already feels dated and the more square-headed designs ... I just didn't see the appeal. But I managed to look past it because everything else was so much fun.

Also, the references to both the original show and the comics were among the best I've seen in terms of eater-egging an old franchise. I'm not going to spoil, but there's a scene where Webby's doll from the old show makes an appearance and it just wrecked me! Equally, just before the finale there's a devastating call-back to Scrooge's very first comic book appearance... strong stuff.