Star Trek 4 troubles - Chris "Kirk" Pine out?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Looks like he may be too rich for Paramount's blood after recent successes raise his value:

Article - Pine and Chris Helmsworth likely out

Maybe three movies was enough? I liked the reboots, but it's going to be hard to replace Kirk after fans have adapted to the new face, and replicating the chemistry would be difficult.

Or maybe they should actually "boldly go where no one has gone before" and expand the franchise; seems most of what they're doing these days is rehashing old timelines and characters, when the whole point of the series was exploring strange new worlds, etc.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Loved the first reboot film. Liked a few parts of the second. Hated the third. Won’t see a fourth.

Totally agree that they got lazy, leaned too heavily on TOS.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to have forgotten about the second movie after watching it and then binge drinking and banging my head against a wall because of...something. Can't quite remember what, maybe a beloved villain being miscast and retconned in the worst way possible...but no.

*stares into void*

Anyways, Pine is a darn fine Kirk, so it'll be hard to keep going without them. So maybe they should just move the timeline forward and I can STFU about it (because otherwise I never will, move the timeline forward! #MoveTheTimelineForward)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I've enjoyed the reboots, but I have felt like, how could they continue them after Anton Yelchin died? You can't just replace him and go, "This is Chekov now." but you also can't go, "Chekov isn't here right now." As much as I'd love to see the crew keep doing their thing, it just wouldn't feel right without him. There's enough with the TV shows now. It did its job of bringing Trek back into the public consciousness and demand. Let it sit with three movies.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I've enjoyed the reboots, but I have felt like, how could they continue them after Anton Yelchin died? You can't just replace him and go, "This is Chekov now." but you also can't go, "Chekov isn't here right now." As much as I'd love to see the crew keep doing their thing, it just wouldn't feel right without him. There's enough with the TV shows now. It did its job of bringing Trek back into the public consciousness and demand. Let it sit with three movies.

That always was going to be an Issue - my guess would've been that Chekov wouldn't have been there at all, having transferred off between films (or that he would've been killed, perhaps after a few CGI-induced minutes of screentime, his death serving as a personal impetus for the Enterprise crew to get involved with the Plot Thing.) Add that to the possible/probably absence of Pine as Kirk... the whole thing's looking like a bad idea at this point, IMHO.

They also seem to be failing to follow through so much on how the new timeline affects events. Things are supposed to go different now, but they're kinda forgetting that. (And the TV series are on the old timeline, IIRC.)

Wil10thewisp

Registered
Reaction score
In my most humble opinion: If Chris Pratt doesn't want to come back then i think they should leave the trilogy at that: a trilogy.

If it were up to me: I would personally prefer a Abrams reboot of the Next Generation. Maybe explore how star-fleet had evolved or maybe shed some new much needed life into the franchise besides the duds that were the Next Gen movies.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
In my most humble opinion: If Chris Pratt doesn't want to come back then i think they should leave the trilogy at that: a trilogy.

I will not go see a Trek film without the racoon.

If it were up to me: I would personally prefer a Abrams reboot of the Next Generation.

I would personally prefer if Abrams stepped aside.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Since they're thinking about bringing Sir Patrick back in a new TNG series -- I'd like to see the movie producers make Shatner an offer. A time distortion replaces Kirk with his much older self. It would be great to see him sitting in the captain's chair again... looking absolutely bewildered by his shiny new high tech surroundings, and not even being able to operate a food replicator.

-Derek

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Or, some sort of timewarp puts Picard and Kirk onto the same Enterprise bridge, at the same time. Picard always liked the hologram deck, how would he take to what he may suspect is only a simulation of another, legendary ship. As for Kirk, how would he take another captain interfering with his cowboy ways?

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
It depends how badly Paramount wants to make a new movie and the calculation fans would stay away without Chris Pine.

I think these reboots stink. The scripts are awful and squander the talents of a decent cast.

Why is it that scripts frequently seem to be last on the list of priorities?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com

We're talking about Chris PINE not PRATT.

I will not go see a Trek film without the racoon.

You're mixing Guardians of the Galaxy with Star Trek. No raccoons in ST. (Might be nice if there were. Probably would steal the show from the Kirk, though!)

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having an old guy/geezer issue with all these reboots in general. It seems like everywhere I turn, someone somewhere is taking a movie or story line, and saying "Hey, this was a money maker back in the day, let's reboot it and make another buck or two..."

Nothing seems all that original anymore - it's like the writers (no offense intended here in AW) for movie scripts have gotten lazy and are trying to live off the laurels of their predecessors who were truly innovative, creative, and original in their thinking and writing.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing seems all that original anymore - it's like the writers (no offense intended here in AW) for movie scripts have gotten lazy and are trying to live off the laurels of their predecessors who were truly innovative, creative, and original in their thinking and writing.

If the studio wants a reboot / remake, it gets a reboot /remake. I'd be curious how much freedom the writers have around how to implement that?

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Thought the first and second movies did a reasonable job of appealing to the die hard ST fan WHILE making a movie general audiences and younger moviegoers would find appealing. Adding someone like Benedict Cumberbatch was a wise move as it brought in a whole nother sect of movie goers who love him.

Taking Chris Pine out? Not going to appeal to general movie audiences. The third movie (I listened to it) had a weirdly convoluted and unappealing plot compared to the first two. I wasn't particularly surprised it didn't do well.

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Lost in the woods of TN and prefer it that way
I've quit bothering with either Star Trek or Star Wars movies.
Don't get me wrong, I love sci-fi. Grew up on it. But these days, both those franchises have turned into nothing more than money-grabs, and the fans have gone bug-f-in' nuts, and gotten more than a little rabid.
I really feel sorry for a lot of the actors and actresses in some of these things these days, due to the amount of abuse they take.

Far too few people have any manners or good sense at all, it seems.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I'm having an old guy/geezer issue... Nothing seems all that original anymore - it's like the writers ... for movie scripts have gotten lazy and are trying to live off the laurels of their predecessors who were truly innovative, creative, and original in their thinking and writing.

You must not be as old a geezer as I am. In the works of all those supposedly original writers of decades ago I recognized plots and themes and locations that have been around for thousands of years. There's almost nothing new in the literary world.

As for reboots, IF it's good I'm all for it. Though it is hard to do a good reboot. First, the writer and the director have to stay true to the core of the original, but also offer something which seems fresh. Then they have to gather actors and set designers and cinematographers and so on who are really good - and people like that cost.

So I'm always skeptical when someone announces yet another reboot/remake. Still I remain hopeful and am willing to give the recreators a chance.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I'm having an old guy/geezer issue with all these reboots in general. It seems like everywhere I turn, someone somewhere is taking a movie or story line, and saying "Hey, this was a money maker back in the day, let's reboot it and make another buck or two..."

I don't think it's the writers, really. Movie studios want to play it safe - and judging by the backlash Disney got for not making the latest Star Wars sequel exactly like every other Star Wars movie, I guess they actually have a point, although I'd still want to challenge them on it.

The Star Trek movies actually get a pass from me because, as a reboot, they're supposed to deliver an updated version of the old stuff. The timeline change allowed for it to go into any direction from there as long as it's consistent with both the universe and the changes. Best of both worlds, in theory. So this could have worked.

I liked the first movie but the first half hour or so was just boring fan service - thirty years after abeing told everything worth knowing about the Kobayashi Maru test, do we really have to see it? Without anything interesting added to it? The second lost me on too much action, too little Prime Directive and a complete waste of Tribbles. Also, keeping Spock as a trivia library really cheapened all the exposition. I never even watched the third although I wasn't against it, I just wasn't into it enough.

Writing Chekov out of the franchise would have been easy - didn't he get his own command in the eighties movie's. too? Or was that Sulu? (Sorry - It's been a while and they kind of occupy the same story memory space for me.) Replacing Kirk would be more difficult, obviously. I like the idea of making him age artificially, even if it's just for a joke.