• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Plot vs. Writing

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
Do you prefer story over structure? My book club has this discussion frequently and I'm curious what others here think.

I hate period romances, but Jane Eyre is just beautifully written. I enjoyed reading it - a LOT.
I love horror, but H.P. Lovecraft's purple prose is kind of ridiculous. I still enjoy reading it - a LOT.

I suppose that puts me on the fence. Of course you want a book to have both great writing and a great plot. But if at least one is exceptional it can still be a great book despite other shortcomings.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
The best books have both, but I can forgive/ignore weak plotting over weak writing/characters.

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
I like a good story where the writing doesn't get in the way.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for voice. If I connect with it, it's almost hypnotic, and then I don't care much where the story goes.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My big weakness is character. If an author makes me care deeply about a character, I can forgive much, including mundane writing and a foreseeable plot.

Maryn, who has other big weaknesses

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Just because I am a pedant... I wouldn't have classed Jane Eyre as a period romance; it's too long and delves into a lot of other things.

Ifeel that good writing is indistinguishable from good story, in the case of most published books. People often mislabel "flowery" writing as good, but extraneous words dont equal well written by default (in fact, usually the opposite).

That said, good writing is in no way a requirement for reader engagement in general (although it is a personal requirement for me). If you have to pick, story structure probably counts for more.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need both. If I read the synopsis and I don't think I'd be interested, I'll skip it. If the plot sounds interesting but I think the writing's weak, I'll skip it.

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
I think I might give a slight priority to writing. A weak plot can be annoying and feel like wasted potential, but if it is beautifully written, I could enjoy the book anyway.

Now a great plot that is terribly written, on the other hand, really feels jarring to read and I might not make it through the first few pages.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer story. (Plot is only one aspect of story, as is characterization, btw.) I'll forgive a lot of little things if it's a great story: the occasional typo, occasional word misuse such as lie vs. lay or affect vs. effect. But, then again, it's true a plodding (or poorly executed plot) or poor characterization can completely destroy the story.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
With SFF, I find myself thinking a lot of huge bestsellers have fabulous plot/worldbuilding, but are rather clunkily written (and sometimes skimp on character). I can enjoy them anyway, but they're sort of like potato chips: tasty, but not something that's really going to stick.

Honestly, I think both kinds of stories can work. The ones that I find most memorable tend to hook me with character, but even then there has to be something to the story structure or I just get bored.

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
I like a good story where the writing doesn't get in the way.

I think this sums it up. Whether writing or plot is outstanding isn't relevant..as long as each doesn't stand out as exceptionally "bad" when you're reading it. Mediocre is ok, bad is not. :) I have noticed, since plodding through writing my own novel, that writing quality stands out more now than it did before.

But then you have ratings: Say someone stars "Twilight" high because it was a quick and easy beach read and that's what they wanted. Like Lizmonster's potato chips. :) If someone was wanting a literary masterpiece, they wouldn't rate it as high. I guess I'm saying there is room for all of it, depending on your own mood when reading, and what you personally are wanting to get from a book.

Last edited:

AmericanaPrime

Registered
Reaction score
At the end of the day, things HAVE to be interesting. Be it characters or story, preferably both. If they aren’t interesting, that’s a death sentence.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
For me characters and the writing are the most important. One of my favourite books is Edward St Aubyn's Nevermind. There is little in way of plot, it's basically following a bunch of rich people getting ready over the course of a day and travelling to a dinner party that takes place that evening. But the characters, the sharp observation and the sarcastic, yet beautiful prose, makes for a hypnotic story for me, but I know other people will find it boring because for them nothing happens.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Do you prefer story over structure?

That's not an either/or choice, unless you're defining those terms in some way I'm not familiar with. The title of the thread also seems like a non-sequitar.

The plot is the visible blueprint of a story. And that blueprint is supported by structural elements that are commonly found in stories. The writing is how the story is communicated to the readers, and is subject to the influences of voice, tone, and style. The story itself is the whole of all its parts: character, plot, setting, structure, pacing, and writing.

IOW, I'm not sure what your question is. Plot, structure, writing--they're all essential and every story has them.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
When picking out a book to read I always look for a plot that I've not already read a hundred times. If I catch a whiff of the MC in the blurb, that's always a plus because I think it's an indication of a good writer (I maybe and am probably wrong about that, but it's just my opinion). So, plot draws me in, but it's the characters that keep me there. I have to relate to them in someway otherwise I don't care what happens.

As to visual descriptions... I only want enough to spark my imagination, anything more becomes tiresome. There's no need to describe every detail of a room (unless some aspect is critical to the plot). I know what a room looks like, you don't need to beat me to death with it. One caveat occurs at the beginning of each chapter (and sometimes scenes) - where I like to get a sense of where the MC is and their mood. This gives me a starting point, which keeps me from figuratively looking back over my shoulder wondering where I and and what's going on.

Last edited:

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
Plot, structure, writing--they're all essential and every story has them.
No one disagrees with this, but every book has these elements to various degrees, and all the OP is asking is which is more important to you, as a reader. Except for structure. I don't think anyone asked about that.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
ICYMI, see post #1.

No, I didn't miss it. I just couldn't figure out what the OP was wanting to know. After reading the thread, I gather most here are assuming it's a question of reading for plot versus reading for... superior writing? Or something else? I'm still not sure. I don't know where structure comes into it, and people's answers appear to address different things.

Clearly I'm not on the right wavelength here...:beam:

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
lol, I *think* BenPanced was replying to nickj47, not you Beth :) Your quote was just along for the ride.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
No, I didn't miss it. I just couldn't figure out what the OP was wanting to know. After reading the thread, I gather most here are assuming it's a question of reading for plot versus reading for... superior writing? Or something else? I'm still not sure. I don't know where structure comes into it, and people's answers appear to address different things.

No, this is a valid observation—that there was a mix of terms. The thread title was "Plot vs Writing" and the examples given support the title, and I think that's what most everyone addressed. I chose to answer the first question, "Do you prefer story over structure?" Story is not synonymous with (beautiful or lyrical) writing, nor is plot necessarily synonymous with structure. (Your plot can skip all over the place or even bog down and that's where a structural editor works their magic.) Story is all-encompassing: of characterization, setting, plot, and the writing. Hopefully, your story will stay with your readers long after they've forgotten each beautifully constructed sentence. But those sentences . . . ah, those sentences conspire with each of the other elements to make the story memorable.

Last edited:

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

lol, I *think* BenPanced was replying to nickj47, not you Beth :) Your quote was just along for the ride.

Yup. Tried to keep the train of thought together, so I felt it was necessary to include BethS's comment.

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
Glad I qualified my response. I stand corrected on the verbiage. Still, I'm not sure I'd equate plot with structure.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think I might give a slight priority to writing. A weak plot can be annoying and feel like wasted potential, but if it is beautifully written, I could enjoy the book anyway.

Now a great plot that is terribly written, on the other hand, really feels jarring to read and I might not make it through the first few pages.

I think this sums it up. Whether writing or plot is outstanding isn't relevant..as long as each doesn't stand out as exceptionally "bad" when you're reading it. Mediocre is ok, bad is not. :) I have noticed, since plodding through writing my own novel, that writing quality stands out more now than it did before.

I agree with both of these. If either plot or writing is just plain bad, I'm not going to enjoy or even finish the book. However, given a choice between lovely writing with a mediocre plot, and an excellent plot with mediocre writing, I'll choose the former.

"Lovely writing" doesn't have to be flowery or "literary". It can be relatively plain writing that flows well. I think Neil Gaiman, for example, has lovely writing (and fortunately, he's usually good at plotting too).

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
What a plot counts as will vary with genre.

Mrs Dalloway doesn't have a plot in traditional SFF terms, as in the way we tend to think of plots in relation to that genre. It still has all the building blocks of story, though; conflict, need, obstacles, attempts, successes, failures. And, of course, character.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Glad I qualified my response. I stand corrected on the verbiage. Still, I'm not sure I'd equate plot with structure.

No, they are two different things.