Harry Potter, by J.K. Rowling

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
While I'm starting threads about books, I thought I'd start the discussion on the Harry Potter books in this forum.

My question:

Which of the books do you like best so far, and why?

My answer:

I'll have to say Prisoner of Azkaban, because of the way she disguised and then revealed Wormtail. It was the kind of thing you don't see coming, but when it does happen, it totally fits the novel.

It was also the point at which I realized that she'd planned the overall plot arc of the books in advance, and it wasn't going to be like a series, with what happens in each book having nothing more in common with past books than continuity of character and conflict.

Plus, the first three were generally better edited, with not a whole lot of things going on that were extraneous to the story.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I liked them all. They all had something special in them that was endearing. However, the one I liked least was The Order of the Phoenix. I thought it was too long and would have benefited from a darn good edit.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
What she said.

Favorite is probably Goblet of Fire. Although, when I re-read them all before the last book came out, I really appreciated PoA. I think it's got as much story as OotP, but it's half as long. Much tighter book.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto on OotP. I loved Goblet of Fire. The action really had me. HbP is my second fave. Can't wait for the next. I love the way Rowling sets a scene. In just a few words, I can picture the location. What a gift.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Ok, for me it's:

3, 4, 6, 1, 5, 2.

The third one is just awesome. Sirius first of all. The way she showed Wormetail. The time thing. Just everything about this book I loved so much.

The fourth was full of action, the tournament, the three schools, I loved it.

Then the sixth, well, I was afraid, it'd be not good but I actually quite enjoyed it. Even the end, because I just refuse not to trust Snape.

The first one is kind of slow at the beginning. It's the one that was told mostly for small children, where the others start being for older ones. But it's a fun read and entertaining.

The fifth one was not good. Too much talking, nothing happening, nothing going on. Umbrigde made me want to throw the book away.

The second one is weak. It has good elements but it's the only book I never managed to read more than once.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Forbidden Snowflake said:
Ok, for me it's ...
Other than the order, my thoughts exactly. I'd swap 3/4 and 5/2, but I liked and disliked those same things. Umbridge made me want to scream, above all. That said, I think #5 will translate well to film, especially the end at the MoM.

Manxom Vroom

A proper fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jvalka.blogspot.com
I like Azkaban the best, following by Half-Blood Prince. My only complaint about HPB was that when I imagine the characters, I now see the actors from the movies rather than my own idea of what they look like. For a while I was seriously bummed because I couldn't remember how I imagined Snape - I just kept seeing Alan Rickman.

And for me, Goblet of Fire was WAY TOO LONG. I thought they were never going to get out of the Quidditch World Cup! However, I thought the movie version of Goblet was the best of the four movies.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I find that for a few characters I do think of the movie actors, but for most I keep my original impression. Dumbledore, for example, remains an enigmatic person in my mind—partly because I haven't a lock on him, and partly because the actor has [necessarily] changed. On the other hand, I now hear Alan Rickman in my head when I read Snape, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Likewise, my vision of Ron and the actor are close enough that they exist fairly well together.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Alan Rickman has hijacked my image of Snape. I agree. Not a bad thing.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
Yeah, Alan Rickman has hijacked my image of Snape. I agree. Not a bad thing.
this is off the subject, but Alan Rickman has one of the coolest voices in the movie business.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I really didn't like the fourth movie as well as the others because of Dumbledore. My image of Dumbledore was much more like the first actor who played him, and I would have been happier if they'd had someone like Ian MacKellan play him in the remaining movies.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
jbal said:
this is off the subject, but Alan Rickman has one of the coolest voices in the movie business.

I have to agree. I confess I hadn't heard of him before the Potter series. Now he voices other characters in my head in other book series. (should I be admitting voices in the head here?)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I too think The Order of the Phoenix was too long. I was glad to see that The Half Blood Prince was significantly shorter. Overall, I love the books. I began ordering them in the adult edition hardcover from Raincoast Books up here in Canada with The Order of the Phoenix. They are extraordinarily beautiful, dont'cha think? I can't wait to get the first four and have the complete set when #7 comes out. I'll probably donate my other copies of the first four if I can find a place on the planet that doesn't have them.

Someone mentioned how the first books were much easier reads. I think this is a sign of just how clever Rowling is. She's 'growing up' the books along with her audience. The kids who were ten and eleven when the first book was published in 1997 are adults now. It's hard to believe it has been that long, it feels like yesterday when I first heard about this Harry Potter kid.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
growing up the books

Someone mentioned how the first books were much easier reads. I think this is a sign of just how clever Rowling is. She's 'growing up' the books along with her audience. The kids who were ten and eleven when the first book was published in 1997 are adults now. It's hard to believe it has been that long, it feels like yesterday when I first heard about this Harry Potter kid.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. It really is clever. My eight year old has just discovered Harry Potter. He loves the first two books, but Pris. of Azk. loses him. He will grow into them.

The books are absolutely gorgeous. I was a reluctant convert. I don't read fantasy much. I bought the first books for my son (when she was on book four) and now I'm the addict. My five year old likes them too. Harry is just so accessible as a character. How could you not root for him?

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
Hi! Goblet of Fire is my VERY favorite as well. I liked it best because it wasn't too dark, still took place mostly at Hogwarts, had the Quidditch World Cup instead of regular Quidditch (I was a bit weary of the play by plays), but yet had new and interesting characters. Also, and probably one of the biggest things for me, it was the last book that was pure. (Without the movie characters trying to interrupt my thoughts!) :rant: I would have loved it if the movies came out after the books were completed.

My least favorite was HBP. I felt like some of the writing with the romance stuff bordered on fanfiction. Not to say I didn't like it at all, just my least favorite.

Also, I discovered the books really early on. In fact, when I bought it I had only glanced at the cover and though the author's name was Harry Potter. haha. Once everyone was reading them, I don't know... didn't seem as special to me anymore. I'm very glad I got to it early on because if tons of people recommended it to me, I would have totally ignored it and what a waste that would have been!

By the way, glad to see a nice positive thread about JKR. Get so tired of reading articles by "writers" who say she's not any good.

~Deborah :Sun:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Rowling has been writing this series for 20 years. She knew what she was doing. She planned 7 books, one of each year, and she wanted her readers to grow up with these books, and not a new batch of readers every year. I have a feeling she writes each book for kids the same age as Harry in mind (including her own).

However, part of it is also that she's grown as a writer since the first book as well -- her plotting is so much more sophisticated now, and her characters more complex. I am not completely convinced that she planned all that from the get-go. But simpler characters/plot did make the first book a much easier (and more juvenile) read.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I admit that I love the opening of of 5, but the book needed a good, hard edit IMHO. I would rank mine 4, 6, 2, 1, 3, 5.

I guess that is why they make chocolate and vanilla. When is book 7 due?

Sailor Kenshin

I am too on MSN IM! :(
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jaganshikenshin.livejournal.com
I love all the books. All are quite different and grow in complexity as Harry himself grows.

The movies, however---another story. I liked the first one best. And I can't stand the new Dumbledore.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
When is book 7 due?
No due date yet, but she did say on her site a while ago she was in the middle of writing it right now.

Ooo, she's in New York tomorrow and Wednesday doing a reading with Stephen King and John Irving. Man, would I like to attend that.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
No due date yet

Next summer. Suposedly 7/7/07. But I'd like to see it on July 31st. Unless Harry dies, then that would just be a bummer.

6,4,3,5,1,2. :) Although I like 2 much better after reading 6, and is closing in on 1. The other four are MUCH harder to order.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another whole year. I'll just have to stay busy. July 31--That would be cool. I don't think she could kill Harry off. Teenage girls everywhere would fling themselves off bridges.