Sue Grafton

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone here read the Sue Grafton novels?

I've read several of her books over the past few years. I think she's an ingenious woman--taking the alpabet and making it a series..:) Although she's slowed down over the years and (to my knowledge and could be wrong) is at either R or S...

Anyway, I love her stuff and wanted to know if there was anyone else out there that read her books?

~Aspiringwriter

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
You might want to check the origins of the alphabet thing. Sometimes it's a marketing ploy thought up by the publishers.

One of my friends had to fight tooth and nail to keep her publisher from using a theme title very similar to that of a highly successful writer. It had to do with cats and she was horrified to find they were going to virtually clone another writer's cat-themed covers. My friend knew the other writer's fans would likely be angered and put off by a "copycat." :D Thankfully her covers and titles sport a different look and titles now.

Along with the alphabet, there are numbers in titles, like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, the first beginning with "One for the Money." Those are great reads, BTW.

Colors are also a big deal in a series. I love MacDonald's Travis McGee novels with titles like "Pale Grey for Guilt," "Cinnamon Skin," and "The Deep Blue Good-bye."

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both for posting on here...So far you are the only two who have answered :)

I would have to agreet though, it's pretty darn ingenious if you ask me.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
I read a few of Grafton's books when they first became popular... enjoyable reads, but they didn't hold my interest very long.

As a reader, I'm not particularly for or against theme titles -- I think they're cute and all, but if I didn't like the first book, I'm not going to pick up more, and if I did like the first book, I'll remember to pick up the next one no matter what the title is.

Gillhoughly said:
Colors are also a big deal in a series. I love MacDonald's Travis McGee novels with titles like "Pale Grey for Guilt," "Cinnamon Skin," and "The Deep Blue Good-bye."
Hey, you forgot 'The Green Ripper', a brilliant name/plot hook that makes you wonder which came first, the title or the plot, and if the author was just waiting to use it for years and years.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
aspiringwriter said:
Thank you both for posting on here...So far you are the only two who have answered :)

I would have to agreet though, it's pretty darn ingenious if you ask me.

If nothing else, at least there's not the question of which order to read them in.

I've read (and own) through "Q".

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read them. I think I've read all of them. Just finished 'S' yesterday.
I like them because I don't have to think while I'm reading them. They're entertainment - rather like watching television only without commercial interruption.

It keeps my eyeballs busy and my brain engaged without giving me a headache from thinking too hard.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I've read all of the Sue Grafton novels...love them. Whether the alphabet theme was a marketing ploy or just a great idea doesn't really matter. It works.

It's just one of several series' I read...The Dead series by John Sanford is a great one and Jan Burke's Irene series, Kathy Reichs Temprence Brennen novels, and Karen Kijewski used to write the Kat Colorado series but I haven't seen a new one in years.

I'm a sucker for a good series. I think because I don't have to keep learning all new characters. I guess I'm just lazy!

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
kristie911 said:
I've read all of the Sue Grafton novels...love them. Whether the alphabet theme was a marketing ploy or just a great idea doesn't really matter. It works.

It's just one of several series' I read...The Dead series by John Sanford is a great one and Jan Burke's Irene series, Kathy Reichs Temprence Brennen novels, and Karen Kijewski used to write the Kat Colorado series but I haven't seen a new one in years.

I'm a sucker for a good series. I think because I don't have to keep learning all new characters. I guess I'm just lazy!

I've read all the Sue Grafton books, too -- from the time that A IS FOR ALIBI was first released. I've seen Sue Grafton speak at a number of events in Santa Barbara -- the alaphabet wasn't a marketing ploy -- it was her idea for putting her book "first in line" at the book stores. The rest of the alphabet became a great, and logical, idea.

I agree with your list of books above (except that Sanford's series is called the "Prey" series) and I would add Lisa Gardner's books in the mix... she has the same group of characters in three of her books but anything she writes is great.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
aspiringwriter said:
Does anyone here read the Sue Grafton novels?

I've read several of her books over the past few years. I think she's an ingenious woman--taking the alpabet and making it a series..:) Although she's slowed down over the years and (to my knowledge and could be wrong) is at either R or S...

Anyway, I love her stuff and wanted to know if there was anyone else out there that read her books?

~Aspiringwriter

I've read and enjoyed them, but for my money the best female PI is Sara Peretsky's V.I. Warshawski (though these are the only two I know of)

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all of you posting...:) I do appreciate it. I was just curious because I happen to like the novels... They are fast reads, although she can can over do it a bit with the description. Still, it works.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Arden said:
I agree with your list of books above (except that Sanford's series is called the "Prey" series) and I would add Lisa Gardner's books in the mix... she has the same group of characters in three of her books but anything she writes is great.

Yeah...I guess I wasn't paying attention to what I was writing...I meant the Prey series by Sanford is excellent.

I'm reading The Third Victim by Gardner right now and I love it. I read the last in the series first (the name escapes me...probably because I've been drinking) so I'm going back to read the whole series.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
I love a good series too.

I tried Sue Grafton's series but couldn't seem to get into them. We all have different tastes

But I do love the thrillers or mysteries.

Kathy Reichs, John Sandford, and oh yes, Robert B. Parker with his
Jesse Stone series. I love those last ones, although Parker isn't writing them fast enough for me.

I admire these writers and wish some day I could write like them. I write paranormal romances mostly right now. I will just have to keep reading the aforementioned series. What a tortured life I lead ;)