PDA

View Full Version : Best way to estimate formatting time-frames?

nonfiction
07-27-2018, 10:18 PM
I'm working toward self-publishing. The editing will be done this weekend. The manuscript is approximately 68,500 words. One of the well known professionals who is willing to write a testimonial for me to publish at the beginning of the book asked me to extend the deadline to August 3rd. I granted this to him.

I might use Integrative Ink for internal and cover formatting, with Ingram Spark. I plan to submit everything to them on August 4th.

I have a book launch party scheduled for the middle of October.

Can it all be done before this? What tasks can I do between this weekend when editing gets done and Aug. 4th while I wait? It seems like I cannot do much (eg, Library of Congress, ISBN, cover layout) without knowing the exact size of book.

Marissa D
07-27-2018, 11:45 PM
You're the one who gets to decide the trim size. Talk with the formatter about your options.

Mclesh
07-28-2018, 02:15 AM
Nonfiction, you could always use your down time to research potential reviewers and compile that list. Also, think about any sites/services you plan to use for promotional purposes. If you have a Twitter account or author page, you could share bits of information about the subject--blurb, logline, etc. You can work on your website (if you have one, or set one up, if you don't). Use your downtime for strategy, I guess. Figure out who you're going to send paperbacks to, if that is part of your pre-launch process.

Here's a link on Joanna Penn's website about book launches (https://www.thecreativepenn.com/aspects-of-a-book-launch/).

I don't know anything about Integrative Ink, but they should be able to give you an estimate for how long their production time will be to help you plan your timeline.

Good luck to you!

nonfiction
07-28-2018, 07:56 PM
Nonfiction, you could always use your down time to research potential reviewers and compile that list. Also, think about any sites/services you plan to use for promotional purposes. If you have a Twitter account or author page, you could share bits of information about the subject--blurb, logline, etc. You can work on your website (if you have one, or set one up, if you don't). Use your downtime for strategy, I guess. Figure out who you're going to send paperbacks to, if that is part of your pre-launch process.

Here's a link on Joanna Penn's website about book launches (https://www.thecreativepenn.com/aspects-of-a-book-launch/).

I don't know anything about Integrative Ink, but they should be able to give you an estimate for how long their production time will be to help you plan your timeline.

Good luck to you!

Thank you. Hard working as I am, I already did all of your suggestions. I feel better since I did some self exploration and reassured myself that there's no need to be anxious. I'm well organized, researched the process well. One week "off" is not going to damage the progress. By the way, my website is www.lynnnanos.com !

Mclesh
07-28-2018, 09:56 PM
Thank you. Hard working as I am, I already did all of your suggestions. I feel better since I did some self exploration and reassured myself that there's no need to be anxious. I'm well organized, researched the process well. One week "off" is not going to damage the progress. By the way, my website is www.lynnnanos.com (http://www.lynnnanos.com) !

Lynn, I just checked out your website--I think you've done a great job providing information on what your book is about. Really timely, important topic, too. Best of luck to you!

Enjoy your period of relaxation.;) :)

CathleenT
07-30-2018, 01:00 AM
As far as what you can do now, consider writing a related short story/novelette, preferably some kind of prequel. Then you can include a teaser in your back matter for people to get who sign up for your email list. :)

nonfiction
07-31-2018, 07:58 AM
You're the one who gets to decide the trim size. Talk with the formatter about your options.

I got trim size confused with the thickness and all measurements. I realize that I can't get very far on Ingram Spark without the formatting all done. I feel like I'm swimming in new territory. I've used extra time to put some final editing touches in.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as what you can do now, consider writing a related short story/novelette, preferably some kind of prequel. Then you can include a teaser in your back matter for people to get who sign up for your email list. :)

Did that too! Thanks for the advice.