Should the characters be using protection?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do they HAVE TO?

Since I'm new to this genre, and since I've been doing some reading, I'm wondering what all of you think about this question.

I noticed in the novel I'm reading, every time the man and woman have sex, he rolls on a condom first. Now, I understand he's trying to protect the woman from getting pregnant, but I"m sure he's also trying to protect himself and her from getting STDs/Aids.

The problem with this approach in writing (to me) is that it ruins the spontaneity and fun. Is the only way around it to write about a couple who are married, monogamous, don't have to worry about pregnancy anymore or diseases???

rpl

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's sexy when a man is considerate enough to use a condom...but maybe I'm just weird. Also, I don't write erotica, so who cares about my opinion? :D In my novel, in the first sex scene I mention the condom. In later ones (with the same characters) it goes without saying.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
If you let the reader know beforehand that they're going to use a condom, you don't necessarily have to describe it being used.

She tugged at his shirt with her teeth.
"Wait," he gasped. "I don't have any condoms."
Without pulling away, she reached back, digging into her purse. "I do," she said, holding up the foil package with a wink.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
What PattiTheWicked said!

I saw the condom issue deftly handled by a description--long before there was any nookie about to happen--of the lady's bedroom. On the bedside table there was a box of Magnums. Then, when they got down to business the writer didn't have to slow the action while the man got "dressed;" use of protection was implied because the writer figured we'd remember that box.

Another writer said that if there is a gun on the mantle in act one, you'd better use it by the end of act two--or something like that. How very apt that is for for erotica! :D

CrimsonsErotica

Well, a lot of erotica is read to escape, so you don't want to think about safe sex when the heroine is in chains ready to be ravished by the tall handsome stranger.

She struggled against her bonds as he spread her legs.
"Please mysterious stranger, do you have protection?"
"Why of course" he said, pulling out a box of Trojans."I always use the Extra Large Super Trojan when I am taking a fair maiden against her will"
He unchained her to let her help slip it on, then she helped chain herself back up to the wall, ready to be taken.

So, I think it is ok to leave that out. The only thing you can get from an erotic novel is a paper cut!;)

Crimson's Erotica - Volume One

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
One way or another, in contemporary settings, protection should be described or implied as used. Personally I would lean toward looking at whether it is realistic for the characters but it is a requirement to show safer sex for most markets--and I way to contribute to the sexiness of the condom :)

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
The few short stories i've written, the characters don't use protection. To me at least it takes away from the mystery...especially in short stories... After all, Erotica (IMHO) can be wacky, strange, ect.. :)

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in favor of safer sex and all that, but I don't think I've ever written about condoms. When the characters are married or in a long-term relationship, I don't address it all.

I think implied usage is a good option.

Java Junkie

Registered
Reaction score
Safer sex is in, however...

I tend to write about supernatural characters so they don't practice safe sex. When I write contemporary, non-paranormal works they blatantly (and in a creative way) practice or imply condom usage.

As an aside, I missed you all this past year!!

MUAH!

Java Junkie, (Formerly Kate St.Amour)

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's historical. They were made out of lamb's intestines in those days.

So, in answer to the question: depends.

O, tempora. O, mores.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
My story is set in the future on another planet, so I hadn't really thought about it. If they are so superior in technology, maybe they have cures for stds. Hmmm....but I agree a line drop or mention before the action would be the way to go, so not to detroy the kink.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
You know, this thread has started me to thinking :) Maybe it would be a good idea to mention it... :)