• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kyanite Publishing

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
Their first three books are written by, coincidentally, their only three staff members, none of whom appear to have any experience in publishing. All other titles are "top secret" and "coming soon!"

This screams amateur hour.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Well, they don't pay for stories, so that's nice. Instead, they "offer professional editing, an expanded audience, exposure for your work, and growth of your author platform."

I'm not sure how those latter three (which are pretty much the same) are going to come about from being published in a new non-pro magazine no one's ever heard of which is also associated with a press no one has ever heard of.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They were tweeting this morning about submissions for their upcoming horror anthology and responding promptly and enthusiastically to questions. I asked what their pay scale was aaaaaaand...crickets.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
This "publisher" is all over Twitter at the moment. I really want to say something to all the people commenting that they will submit, but what do you say? :/

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to throw up your hands, step back and invoke Filigree's Rule.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I heard via email today, of someone who is very happy publishing with them. I don't have anything beyond "My friend loves working with them" but that was enough of a nudge to send me back to the website to have another look. They are putting out a fair number of titles, the covers are decent, and they open to novel submissions in September.

I too am curious if there is any direct experience here, with this group.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Hmm. Any time I see a new publisher coming out with lots of books, it gives me pause. Because it makes me think they're going to be an author mill, churning out content, going for quantity over quality. May not be true, but I'd rather see a publisher put out only a few titles and give them good marketing campaigns than toss a bunch of books out into the ether.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to them back in August, for a re-release of self-pubbed titles. Initial response was very enthusiastic. "Lead" editor wanted to show the work to his team, and the email was very positive. Didn't hear back for awhile. Finally got an email back that said "tone, pacing, and dialogue style doesn't match our style." Well, I suppose not, since that covers an awful lot of the story? lol the only thing they liked was the story premise, according to that email.

I've seen them be very active on Twitter pitch events. After the rejection, they liked one of my pitches, which seemed a bit odd considering they didn't like the tone, pacing, or dialogue style of my writing. Many of the books they are publishing are the lead editor's books being re-packaged and re-released.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of red flags here: poor editing, releasing the staff's books, exploiting authors for "exposure," acquiring large numbers of books, approaching authors via social media...

I wouldn't send a manuscript there.

Corvid

~
Registered
Reaction score
Any recent news on these guys? I actually love the look of their latest magazine and think they did an awesome job with the cover, haha. But don't think I'm going to make the fatal error of judging a book by its cover. :p

I submitted a short story to them just for kicks and haven't heard anything back yet. I had a very pleasant conversation with them through email when I had to withdraw the previous story (it got accepted elsewhere). According to Twitter, they're opening up another sub window soon and I'm (very tentatively) considering subbing to them. Any recent stories? They still seem to be pushing out a lot of books by the owners . . .

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing personal experience-wise from me, but they don't seem to release ARCs to NetGalley, which limits pre-publication reactions and reviews, and their books on Goodreads tend to have a very low number of reviews. Some of the books are in the 3-4 million mark in the Kindle store on Amazon. Until they get a better marketing plan, I think I'd publish elsewhere.