When should the sex start?

James Buchanan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eroticjames.tripod.com
A reject a freind got on a sub got me thinking. All Erotic Romance publishers say they want well developed relationships in addition to sex. While very nice it was basically "you're at chapter 3 and there's been no sex yet."

Personally, I like to know who these people are before they start fooling around. In a full blown novel, a few chapters of development is okay... but I'm starting to think it's not for the publishers.

When should the sex start. Granted I have a novel coming out where it starts off as a one night stand and things have to work out from there. But I think that should be more the exception than the rule (I mean how many variations of the one night stand can there be?)

So as writers and/or readers... when should the characters hit the sheets?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well it depends on the publisher, eh? There is alway the 'fling that becomes something more' approach.

Of course I am currently trying to write an erotic romance where the guys aren't having sex for chapter but I know the randy little bunnies will get around to it eventually--leaving me with a book that is neither erotic, nor not-erotic. grrr.

Ted

Registered
Reaction score
What about my How to Cook a Chicken bit;
(lost in the depths, somewhere...)

not funny enough for a straight humour mag

not erotic enough for the erotic market and

too erotic for the ordinary filler piece. <sigh>

How can you birth an orphan, I ask you???

I guess I just gotta get off the fence and commit!!

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I like variety. Sometimes I like stories that slowly build up tension before the actual deed. Sometimes I like stories that start out with hot action.

Like Veinglory said, it probably depends on the publisher.

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
Well it depends on the publisher, eh? There is alway the 'fling that becomes something more' approach.

Of course I am currently trying to write an erotic romance where the guys aren't having sex for chapter but I know the randy little bunnies will get around to it eventually--leaving me with a book that is neither erotic, nor not-erotic. grrr.

"Erotic romance" seems like a difficult genre. Too much sex and it's more erotica than romance. Too little sex and it's more of a romance novel. Or maybe it's just confusing to me.

James Buchanan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eroticjames.tripod.com
Lee_OC said:
"Erotic romance" seems like a difficult genre. Too much sex and it's more erotica than romance. Too little sex and it's more of a romance novel. Or maybe it's just confusing to me.

I think it's confusing to all of us... hence I guess the question.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
The story i'm working on starts off with sex....it doesn't last long, because...well I can't reveal any of the story. However in chapter two there is none at all... I like to use it sparingly.

As for the sex stuff... to me it all depends on the story... :)

DianneE

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be honest. The erotica I like to read has sex in every chapter, except perhaps the first. If I want a romance novel, I'll read a romance novel. ;)

I think it should be obvious from the beginning, however, that there's the potential for sex, and the anticipation of that potential should be part of the very first chapter.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
Granted this is my first erotica venture that led me to you darlings, but I've been going the tension route. My couple starts out as enemies and they dream kinky dreams to start, bond in battle, fool around a bit, and I haven't even gotten to the no holds barred finally going the distant yet.

At first I didn't want to add too many layers of conflict into it, but now I may go back and put back my sabouter/traitor storyline in again.

In a way, the story isn't what I expected, but it's turned out to be everything I've wanted at the same time. I think the subtitle is going to be
Love and War...In Space!

Am I crazy in thinking I can pull this off?

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't say I didn't like writing sex scenes...it's just my preference... Although it can keep the story interesting/sizzling :) I've recently journeyed into the genre myself...never thought I could write it, but it's easier than I thought :) I might have found my hiche (but I will continue working on screenplays) But Erotica...well, I could go on forever :)