Querying in summer

kamelka

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!!
I'm new here but I've heard a lot about these forums from other writers. Apparently you're lifesavers? :)
I'm in a need of a life saving hahah. So as the ages-old story goes, after 3 years of writing and 1 year of workshopping I finished my novel, wrote a query letter, and sent it to 10 well-researched agents. I think my query letter is good. I did get feedback from seasoned writers as well as random peeps online. I sent out first batch on June 6 and the second batch on June 28. I heard back from only one agent who requested a full MS.
I know it takes a while for them to take a look at it, but still. Should I be concerned? Should I try to follow up? (especially the first batch?) I'm also thinking if it wasn't a mistake to query in the summer. Everything is slower in the summer, right? Am I overthinking this? Should I just go and meditate?
HELP FRIENDS!!!

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
It might be worthwhile making the effort to join conversations here and read and comment on other people's query letters, so that once you've reached 50 posts you can post your own letter for us to have a look at (and have earned the good will of others in the Query Letter Hell board)--it's really hard to say what's going on without having seen your letter. And what do the agents you've queried say? Some will specify that "no answer means no thank you" after a certain number of weeks.

As for ongoing debate about not querying in the summer...honestly, it doesn't matter. Better to get into their query queue in June than wait till September to send it.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
One request from a batch of ten, is a 10% request rate. That's what authors are told to aim for.

I'm querying over the summer. It has a small effect, some of the agents I wanted to target are closed. But I don't really have a choice. I've been given a referral to one agent and that means I need to query others or the timing will be off if that makes sense.

I would just query.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Funny, I was thinking about this today. I did a round of queries a few months ago and heard back from most within a month, only two didn't reply. I've only sent a small batch out this time but have only had one reply and am wondering if the heatwave we're having here has had an impact (all Uk agents). And of course summer is busy. I don't really want to wait until autumn to send more out but am curious to read more replies on the subject, I will wait if enough people say summer is a bad time to query!

Last edited:

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know it takes a while for them to take a look at it, but still. Should I be concerned? Should I try to follow up? (especially the first batch?) I'm also thinking if it wasn't a mistake to query in the summer. Everything is slower in the summer, right? Am I overthinking this? Should I just go and meditate?
HELP FRIENDS!!!

Nah, you may not hear back at all; many won't reply unless interested. Or sometimes they reply after 3 months. Or 3 hours. Or a year. You never know.

Regarding the time of year, I think there's sort of always a reason--summer vacations, winter holidays, fall and spring catching-up-after-holidays, the December fallout from NaNoWriMo, and then various book expos and conventions that occur periodically throughout the year...I guess you could get super detailed about it if you want, but even if you send it at a particular time, they might have a whole stack of other queries to look at that need to get read before yours...etc.

My view, anyway. :) Not necessarily the right one...

Last edited:

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
A good way to check would be QueryTracker or a resource like that. It might be a premium only feature, but you can see where you are in the queue of queriers and if anyone after you had materials requested. That was how I dealt with the "omg is it me or is it them" anxiety, especially since I was also querying over the summer!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Don't nudge the agent about your full until it's been out at least two months, preferably three. Reading new stuff isn't where they make their money, so that's the sort of thing they do on their off hours. And yes, some won't respond at all.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You are overthinking it :greenie

On a full, you should status query (or "nudge") at 3 months, unless they've given you another time frame. On a query, you shouldn't status query.

If you query an agent at the right time, you might get a response within minutes, but many take months to go through their inbox. Some never respond. Bewares, Recs, and Background Checks here, or Query Tracker might give you an idea of whether an agent is likely to respond, and possibly how long they'll take.

It doesn't matter whether you query in summer or some other time. If it's a slower time (and I'm not saying it is), then you lose nothing getting in that inbox now, versus waiting until later, and putting your query in the inbox behind everyone who sent it in the summer.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say just take it slow and relax since... it is summer after all. It all depends on the agency, and then again depends on the agent, but it's probably safe to assume things slow down at least a little bit during the summer. I can only speak from my experience, but I know that, in my case, for example, my agent is actually taking the time to read new books from her clients over the summer, in addition to actually taking some vacation. She's prepping for September, when there's going to be a push for agents to start submitting new books to editors at publishing houses.

So in that regard, you *might* expect some slower responses from other agents if they're doing similar. I know quite a few of the other clients with my agent have given her new submissions to read in direct anticipation of a September submission. So at least in this case, she's definitely prioritizing her existing clientele over the new queries she's getting in, as well as any partials or fulls she may have requested. It's obviously going to vary a lot with different agents and agencies, but there's some overlap in what she's doing and what others are as well.

kamelka

Registered
Reaction score
It might be worthwhile making the effort to join conversations here and read and comment on other people's query letters, so that once you've reached 50 posts you can post your own letter for us to have a look at (and have earned the good will of others in the Query Letter Hell board)--it's really hard to say what's going on without having seen your letter. And what do the agents you've queried say? Some will specify that "no answer means no thank you" after a certain number of weeks.

As for ongoing debate about not querying in the summer...honestly, it doesn't matter. Better to get into their query queue in June than wait till September to send it.

Thank you, Marissa. Yeah, I'll get to posting :) Some agents say on their website that if they don't reply back, it's a no, and some say to follow up. I guess I'll do that.

kamelka

Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha I knew I was overthinking. Good to know about the 3-month period for a nudge for the full. thanks for replying!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, Siri!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh snap, I had no idea query tracker had a feature like that. I'll get on it. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Buz, makes sense. Thanks for replying.

kamelka

Registered
Reaction score
OK, thank you. Good to know that there's a bunch of us, summer query warriors :) Good luck!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Like Shoeless says, while summer can slow down an agent's usual activities due to the people they work with taking holiday/leave etc it can provide downtime for them to actually catch up on reading queries. It's a bit like how if you work in an office the slow summer days can be the ones where you do jobs such as clearing out the stationary cupboard and blowing away the cobwebs. For example, I know my former agent takes two weeks off and that's it. Also for example, although this is out of date, when I first queried, I got some very speedy responses over summer. The only time of year I've found terrible for querying as a YA writer is March and April, which gets eaten up by the big book fairs.

So I'd say it's swings and roundabouts, and query at the time that suits you.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Fwiw, although some agents I had targeted to query say they are closed or slowing down for summer, I've had about eight responses in the space of a week (a mix of rejections, partials, and one full). So, somebody is still in those offices! But one of the places that requested a partial did also warn me it'd be a longer than normal wait due to summer. So as Raggy says, swings and roundabouts.

Serddar

Registered
Reaction score
Well, even if it is slower, it's not as slow as waiting for summer to pass and then sending your queries would be. :)

Versailles

Registered
Reaction score
September is agent and publisher crazy month so don't expect to hear anything back until the month is over. Once it is, all bets are off. I don't think NANIMO registers on many agents' schedules so don't worry about that.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
September is agent and publisher crazy month so don't expect to hear anything back until the month is over. Once it is, all bets are off. I don't think NANIMO registers on many agents' schedules so don't worry about that.

I think most agents are well familiar with NANOWRIMO, and the avalanche of queries that come after it.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Feels really weird to come back to this thread... having now queried successfully in summer.

If a data point is worth anything, most of the bookends agents seem to work through July and then take off a week or two in August, including time to attend some conferences. August definitely crawled past in terms of stuff being done.