Noise Busters

Sarahrizz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingstudiosarah.blogspot.com
So I was trying to write, when I became distracted by household noises (aka noisy household members), and I am wondering what your strategies are for keeping your environment quiet and distraction free.

My most effective strategy to date is to blast Christmas Music at full volume, which might classify more as revenge, but it makes me feel peaceful again. Hey, It's July, Christmas in July is totally legal.

So, what strategies do you have for when house members have a really loud conversation, or put the TV on really loud during your writing time? All part of the process, right...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have all kinds of white noise available at home. On the rare occasions when we have no power and must sleep without it, the sounds of one's own breathing are awful!

I don't think I would be able to write while blasting Christmas music, so that seems to punish me as much as the noisy people. I more often opt to find a comparatively quiet place in the house and to use my vast store of New Age music, bought specifically for writing, to muffle the sounds of other people living their lives. Or to set aside the writing for now and join in, because there will come a time when I won't have these people around.

Maryn, at that point now

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Luckily noise is not a problem for me. Here are some suggestions. Ear plugs, only work when everybody is asleep, build a shed in the garden or tell everybody to shut up.

NateCrow

Registered
Reaction score
I've tried ear plugs and muffs but I can still hear with them on. The fact that it's muffled doesn't seem to help much. I couldn't imagine listening to a TV or music with lyrics while I was trying to write. I'd probably rather have the normal house noises.

My recommendation is a white noise generator. It just plays a static sound that you can turn up to drown out any other noises, and it's so constant that your brain will just ignore it and you won't even hear it after a few minutes. You can use earphones and it won't even disturb anyone else.

There are a number of free apps for smart phones, or I'm sure you could find something online that would do the same thing.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even if you're deaf as a post like me (actually, especially if you're deaf as a post like me), phantom noisiness such as ringing or roaring called tinnitus can distract, depending on perceived "volume." No muffs hide the disorder caused by age or injury.

Sometimes, I have to give up writing or editing and go for a hobble or to the senior workout center until the birds, sirens, or ocean's roar goes away. :e2Order::e2violin::e2chain::badthoughts:mob:partyguy:

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If “shut up” and “shut the Φuck up” fail to produce silence, a closed door and a standing fan set on high works like drown-it-out magic for me.