Gotta brag! (to the tune of the Gene Kelly song "Gotta Dance")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
And YES, I do know exactly Who gave me the talent and where the praise REALLY goes.

I got my first-round scoresheets back from the ACFW Genesis contest.

One judge gave me a 63/100, said it was really fantasy and didn't understand plot or conflict. (I will use this when I pitch to agents/editors to succinctly state why it IS a thriller, and is NOT fantasy. I gave the reasons to the DH tonight and he didn't kibitz, so I figure my reasoning is sound.):tongue

One judge gave me a 99 said my plot was fresh and compelling (oh, yes!) and she'd read the book even tho she doesn't normally do futuristic fiction.

One judge gave me 92 said, quote, she'd stand in line to buy it (oh my, oh my, oh my).

The latter 2 judges said I needed to differentiate my characters a bit more, and to give a hint at timeframe in chapter 1 rather than waiting till 2. I LOVE critiques like that--concrete advice for a concrete proiblem. And I can fix these in time to get the proposal in the mail to be delivered before the 31st.

So I'm buoyed and somewhat prepared for criticism. Just gotta have the same enthusiasm in Sept. when the conference happens!:Sun:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Callalily! Sounds like you got excellent feedback along with with a healthy dose of encouragement! Hope it polishes up perfectly, in time for the conference.

Puddle Jumper

That rocks! Congrats! I'm intrigued by what you've said. What was your book about? Is it published?

InspiredWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo! Way to go! Celebrating with you!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your success!

Elizabeth

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Puddle Jumper said:
That rocks! Congrats! I'm intrigued by what you've said. What was your book about? Is it published?

No, I don't have a book published yet. Category winners for the contest go to Warner-Faith's table where they decided if publishing it will make a profit. I'll spend 4 days at the conference attending workships and pitching the book to all the appropriate agents/editors.

It's a thriller, set 200 yrs in the future after war has devastated society and what's left is controlled by a secretive theocracy. My heroine was kidnapped, crucified, rescued, and is looking for clues to the kidnappers as they track her down to finish what they started.

Status
Not open for further replies.