Writing Animal Companions

Devan Isra

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have an animal that likes to join you for writing? If so, what do they like to do while you're putting down words?

I adopted an adorable black cat just about two months ago now (she is the sixth cat I've had in my life), and she's the only animal in my family allowed in my bedroom (for her good manners and cleanliness), where I write. Since I've somehow managed to change my writing schedule to be diurnal, and she is very much nocturnal, she likes to sleep beside me while I write. But, she gets nightmares (the shelter thought she's probably had a rough past), and because of that wakes up every half hour, almost at exactly thirty minutes. She tends to wake up with a sudden "MRRR?!", and it's loud enough to snap me out of my writing, music, and whatever else is holding my attention. So I always get up and stretch, get a drink, and take a break for a minute or two every half hour (and of course give her plenty of pets and comfort when she wakes up). Naturally I didn't think to do that with just my phone alarm before I got her, hahah. I just felt this would be an interesting quirk to share here. Hopefully she'll be able to sleep more easily soon, though. She has been doing much better all around. :)

MissyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have an animal that likes to join you for writing? If so, what do they like to do while you're putting down words?

I adopted an adorable black cat just about two months ago now (she is the sixth cat I've had in my life), and she's the only animal in my family allowed in my bedroom (for her good manners and cleanliness), where I write. Since I've somehow managed to change my writing schedule to be diurnal, and she is very much nocturnal, she likes to sleep beside me while I write. But, she gets nightmares (the shelter thought she's probably had a rough past)

She sounds cute :) I love black cats and have two I got from a shelter too; Jake and Jet are their names. Eventually I'm sure she'll relax and turn into more of a day time cat, mine both equaled out.

My cat Jake is so clingy and he has to be by me all the time. I made him a character in one of my books, someone's pet

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score
I have a little black cat too! Mine is Nox. I got him as a kitten when his mommy was rescued from a kill-shelter. He's 4 years old and completely a lover. Gives kisses like a dog. He would rather love and cuddle than play or eat! He also serves as my break-monitor :) He's my second cat.

My first, also black, was named Merlyn. He was a feral kitten I took in. He was nasty and mean and loved me and only me and even then only when HE wanted. Bit a couple of my friends and my mom! He lived to be 19 years old. He didn't have much interest in writing or even break monitoring, but he did make it into my first manuscript!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my, what a sweet and wonderful thread! My writing buddy is the guy in my avi, GSD/ACD mix name of Nate Dogg. Since I sit on the floor when writing (as my tv is on my desk and I can't move it), he likes to get up in my grill and try to knock the laptop off my lap with his fat head.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
My dog likes to sleep under my chair, to where I have to nudge him out of the way when I'm ready to get up so the chair legs won't hit him.

You'd think that would make a perfect recipe for a doggy foot-warmer in the winter, but whenever I try to warm my frozen toes on him, he gives me a dirty look and leaves the room (not that I blame him).

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I'm not sure about my current cat (Nana), mainly because I haven't written since we got her several years ago. (Yeah... yeah. I know. Don't judge.) But I used to have a feisty tuxedo cat named Domino who spent many a day draped over my old CRT monitor. I sometimes had to move her tail out of the way so I could see the screen.

godzillachild

Registered
Reaction score
I have a lazy border collie who we call "anklyosaurus" because he's big, chubby, and knocks things over with his tail. He's very supportive of my work and is always ready to help out by falling asleep nearby.

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Lost in the woods of TN and prefer it that way
I have a couple of old dogs that like to make sure I don't get too involved in what I'm doing.
They generally lay around and nap until they sense that I'm getting stressed out with whatever problem I'm trying to solve, then jump up and remind me it's either time to go out, or that their food bowls need filling. I swear they must be psychic, 'cause they always time it perfectly; I need a break, they provide an unavoidable reason to take one.

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I have two Siberian Husky puppies (about 1.5 years each) who really don't like to make sure I get too "distracted" by writing. But they also both love to lie under my desk while I write, which is one of the best and cuddliest feelings in the world. They also provide a good reason to stop and zone back in periodically, which I find does help my writing. Or my sanity. At this point, I'm not sure if they're mutually exclusive. :)