• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Looking for good cop character POV fiction to read

AverageJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theumbrellalife.com
I'm not sure if this fits in this group but I couldn't figure out where to ask it.

I'm having trouble finding a good book or five to read that will help me with my main character. My main character is a police officer, so I want it to be as authentic as possible. I have some personal history to draw from (my husband was an officer for 4 years - 15 years ago though) but I really would like to read some fiction that has a police character main lead.I try to read as much as possible in the same genre as what I'm writing to get the sense of how much plot there should be. How many horrible things can happen and still be believable, what a typical cop/detective's daily life might be like.

I just can't handle gory books with explicit details of murders, or books where the main plot line involves rape/incest/or harm to children. (I'm a mom, I simply can't do it!)

Any suggestions for me?
Thanks!

Last edited:

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
It's not fiction, but I Love a Cop by Ellen Kirschman has a lot of good insight into the personal lives of those working in law enforcement. I picked it up for a novella I was doing research for, then didn't end up writing, but I've held onto the book just in case another idea crops up.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
You might want to look at Procedural and Cozy sub-genres of the Mystery genre.

Examples:
AW member Kenneth Hoss' Storm series ( link )
Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli & Isles ( link )
Louise Penny's Detective Gamache series ( link )

Other authors you might want to check (no specific order): Sue Grafton, Michael Connelly, Val McDermid.

-cb

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding a good book or five to read that will help me with my main character. My main character is a police officer, so I want it to be as authentic as possible.
Thanks!

The classic Swedish series of novels by Sjöwall and Wahlöö, published in the 1970s, beginning with Roseanna.

The Harry Hole novels by Norwegian writer Jo Nesbø. Best read in order of publication, starting with The Bat.

caw

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Archer Mayor's Joe Gunther mystery series (somewhat procedural) is pretty good for this.

But the reality is what you are looking for that meets your needs as inspiration for your writing may not actually exist. Books follow plots, they're not really a "day in the life" expose. For that, talk to your husband and his former officer friends. Take a few ride-alongs with your local department. Some days, and some departments or assignments, are truly boring and some are incredibly dangerous. You kind of have to pick what you can use from a large amount of random data.

Jeff

AverageJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theumbrellalife.com
Thanks everyone. I’ll look at these suggestions. While I’m more than halfway finished with my WIP, I’m a nut for accurately portraying a character. When I read something that I truly know is off - either the portrayal of person or a place setting, I usually walk away from the book. Since I don’t read a lot of these type of books, the more I do the better it will be (I hope anyway.)

AverageJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theumbrellalife.com
But the reality is what you are looking for that meets your needs as inspiration for your writing may not actually exist. Books follow plots, they're not really a "day in the life" expose. For that, talk to your husband and his former officer friends. Take a few ride-alongs with your local department. Some days, and some departments or assignments, are truly boring and some are incredibly dangerous. You kind of have to pick what you can use from a large amount of random data.

I actually did a ride along in my husband’s former department 18 years ago. It was in a college town so nothing dramatic but when the officer did arrest someone and put them in the car with us, it was a bit of an experience!

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
Joseph Wambaugh, a former police officer, is excellent. For nonfiction, try David Simon's Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. He spent a year riding with the Baltimore Homicide Division. Book is technologically dated, but conveys atmosphere, mood and the job better than anything I've read. Also, Simon created and co-wrote The Wire.

Personally, I wouldn't use Scandinavian or European fiction to write about police work here since laws, customs and procedures vary wildly from the U. S. The suggestion to do ride-alongs and talk to actual cops is a good one.

hopeful09

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thinningtheweeds.blogspot.com
I'm a big John Sandford fan--both his Prey series with Lucas Davenport and his Virgil Flowers series. The Prey series tends to take place (except for the last few) in and around Minneapolis. The Flowers series travels more around Minnesota. Sandford's pacing is great.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series about a gritty sheriff in New Iberia, New Orleans. And there's Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone books. Stone is a Paradise, Mass. police chief.

Sieglinde

Wälsung
Registered
Reaction score
The City Watch sub-series of Discworld. Vimes is about the best cop character I know, and he develops a lot through several books. Plus they're funny as hell.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Tony Hillerman's books are about Navajo police solving crimes.