Different ebook publishing site formatting requirements - why?

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I was almost going to post this question on an existing thread, but didn't want to contribute to Godwin's law regarding thread redirection.

With Amazon KDP, the preferred method of uploading a manuscript is a Word file (.doc or .docx) using styles, with a Word table of contents (TOC.) Fairly simple, once you figure it out.

Smashwords preferred method is a Word file (.doc only) but it cannot parse a Word TOC. You have to do a wonky bookmark and hyperlink exercise to create your own. I like the finished product Smashwords offers, it looks right.

Draft2Digital (D2D) can parse a Word TOC, but, for whatever reason, you need three line breaks vs. two to preserve your scene breaks. And by the way if you indent your scene breaks, those will not be preserved. Covers are not reprocessed in a manner where they can be displayed properly on many third party sites' previewers.

The bottom line is I have to do a significant amount of reformatting when I upload my books to Smashwords, and D2D, respectively, for different reasons. So I need to have three versions of my ebooks.

Why do they do this? All three have talented programmers that are more than capable of making it all work out, yet, they don't. They have to be different for some reason. Does Amazon have some kind of stranglehold copyright on ebook submission formatting requirements? Anybody know?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Smashwords and D2D can both handles multiple output formats.

With a single Word .doc upload, Smashwords will create multiple file formats including .epub, .mobi for Kindles, PDF, plain text and HTML.

[D2D] conversion process creates a beautiful, high-quality epub for us to distribute to your choice of digital stores. You’ll also have access to a similarly beautiful .mobi and PDF.

Each device and app uses a different file format for ebooks. Each service provider has created different tools, written by different programmers.

Amazon uses MOBI and AZW, depending on the hardware and app.

Apple and Sony use EPUB.

You don't need to use both Smashwords and D2D to convert your file. Pick the one that works best for you in terms of conversion and getting the files to retailers.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
There isn't a reason why they all do it differently, other than they're all different companies. I bypass the issue by submitting finished ebook files (mobi to Amazon and epub to Smashwords... I don't use D2D). This can be done by coding a basic html/css document and then converting it with Calibre.

The potential disadvantage is that Smashwords can't produce the other formats from an epub. But I sell most books through Apple and Kobo and the like, rather than directly on Smashwords. Those sites only want the epub.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
You don't need to use both Smashwords and D2D to convert your file. Pick the one that works best for you in terms of conversion and getting the files to retailers.

I do realize that. I think D2D is less refined than Smashwords, in that they do not reformat the cover specific to the retailers where Smashwords does, affecting the cover preview in some cases. Yet, I sell more books through the D2D versions than I do through the Smashwords versions by a wide margin. I suppose I could unpublish the Smashwords editions but I see no advantage to doing so.

Although I loathe Amazon, I still sell the great majority of books through them.