PDA

View Full Version : When to use italics

efreysson
06-13-2018, 05:01 PM
My new manuscript includes quite a lot of bars, song titles and newspapers. Should I italicise all of them? None? Some?

Duncan J Macdonald
06-13-2018, 05:52 PM
My new manuscript includes quite a lot of bars, song titles and newspapers. Should I italicise all of them? None? Some?

Check out the Chicago Manual of Style (http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch08/ch08_toc.html).

TellMeAStory
06-13-2018, 06:17 PM
Song titles and newspapers, yes. Bars, no.

Google helps nicely there too if CMS is out of reach.

blacbird
06-13-2018, 09:49 PM
Not individual song titles.. Those are customarily rendered in quotation marks, as are the titles of short stories (e.g., "The Long and Winding Road", by the Beatles. A full-length book title is italicized, as would be the title of a music album (e.g., Abbey Road, by the Beatles), or a movie or a TV series.

Also customarily italicized are the names of ships (e.g., HMS Irrelevant).

And it is standard practice to use italics for emphasis; just don't overdo that.

Purdue OWL is also a good reference for such things.

caw

efreysson
06-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the replies, and apologies for not voicing them sooner. I'm kind of terrible about that.

One more question related to the topic: Stories. That is, folk tales. Should Little Red Riding Hood and the like be italicised?

Chase
06-30-2018, 09:12 PM
One more question related to the topic: Stories. That is, folk tales. Should Little Red Riding Hood and the like be italicised?

No. As others have said, book titles are italicized and short stories are in quotes:

Grimms' Fairy Tales, an English version of the book by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, contain "Hansel and Gretel," "Snow White," "Little Red Cap," and other stories.

DarienW
07-02-2018, 04:19 AM
Here's an article on Beth Hill's the editorsblog. Link (http://theeditorsblog.net/2014/05/12/marking-text-choosing-between-italics-and-quotation-marks/)

It's an extensive list of examples with explanations too!

The whole site is super helpful!

:)