Looking for Jewish Help...

smiley10000

What do we do? We write...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy! I was all excited! :hooray: A forum for Jewish writers. Maybe I could now get the help I need...

But now I see noone has posted here since last year! :e2thud:

Is there anyone still out there?

Does anyone write for the Jewish world? :e2shrug:

Do I have anyone to talk to? I'm nice and friendly, I promise... I don't bite...

:D 10000

erika

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Jewish, but I thought I should get off the Christian forum for a while. That's gonna drive me batty. Is Judaism any easier or simpler? And out of curiosity, would you say that your writing contains Jewish themes, characters, struggles, etc.? Just hoping to learn something.

smiley10000

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Erika,

It is nice to meet you over here. It's funny you came here to get away from the Christian forum... Is there much difference other than the awful silence over here?

What do you mean by easier? Easier than... Christianity, Paganism, Atheism, Other types of writing? I think Judaism (when practiced properly) is harder, but at the same time there is nothing more rewarding than being an Orthodox Jew.

I do write with Jewish themes. I don't think I could write any other way. You write what you know, right?

There is also such a wealth of ideas and history to draw from. I love taking the things I have learned and molding them into something new and my own. My current WIP is very Jewish. I think it may even be too Jewish to ever be sold for a mainstream audience but I'll see the overall picture when it's complete.

Well, thanks for stopping by! It's nice to have company sometimes...
:) 10000

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
erika said:
I'm not Jewish, but I thought I should get off the Christian forum for a while. That's gonna drive me batty. Is Judaism any easier or simpler?

:roll:

Honestly, though, that would probably depend on what kind of Jew you are and what kind of Christian you are. Being a Reformed Jew I imagine is "easier" than being an evangelical Christian, and being an Orthodox Jew is "harder" than being an Episcopalian. Just my guess. I too pop over here from the Christian board, mainly because I am interested in Judaism and learn some things here. I also publish a few Jewish authors in my Christian literary magazine (who write on general religious themes common to both Jews and Christians). Or by "easier" do you mean "less divisive?" Is that what's driving you batty over on the Christian board--the constant moral and theological debates? Well, I don't suppose you'll find theological disagreements to be any less common in Judaism than in Christianity, but I've noticed the debate often tends to be more intellectual. (No offense intended toward my Christian brethren. Actually, here, the Christian debate is fairly rational and thoughtful compared to the same debate in most other forums. Though that may be the work of moderators.)

My current WIP is very Jewish. I think it may even be too Jewish to ever be sold for a mainstream audience but I'll see the overall picture when it's complete.

I don't know about that. A mainstream audience read The Chosen and other such works. Depending on your emphasis, message, moral, theme, you may even be able to market it to Christians, which is a pretty big audience.

I do write with Jewish themes. I don't think I could write any other way. You write what you know, right?

I have at times actively tried to write purely secular works and find I cannot. I find the religious element creeps in even if I try to keep it out.

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
I just saw this again and sky's answer so I will put in my two cents.

In terms of writing. I have had this year quite a few stories published over The Deepening, and many of them are on "Jewish" topics though their audience is far far from Jewish. "A Pot Of Gold", "The Heretic", "Kapparot", and one coming out in January "Elijah's Coins" are certainly on God-man relationship themes and there are others but that is enough of a listing.

I do not think you will have any prejiduced against a mainstream story that tells something from a Jewish perspective. Albeit short stories are incredibly difficult to sell to begin with.

Short story markets are incredibly difficult and I am always on the lookout for real and established ones. Certainly, Bellow, Singer, Weisel etc. just to name a few did break into this market.

As to a Novel which is "jewish". There are some fairly famous Jewish writers with themes in all genres. The Decker series is one mystery series which is really successful by Kellerman and is based not only Jewish but Orthodox Jewish, even ultra right orthodox Jewish. Bellow was a literary fiction artist. Potok. Singer (nobel prize for lit with Weisel). Oh there are hundreds these days. Naomi Reagan. and do not forget The Red Tent.

It is a matter of finding the "right agent" here I think, more than the right publishing house, as all the majors are open to it. (The non-fiction world is a bit different)

This year was my year for short stories and progressing in WIP's. But to be honest, I do not think writing about Jewish themes is a minus. I just think you have to be real good.

I have no clue what mag. Sky runs or if it is widely read, but you could try his mag and others as well. It is not that there is a lack of markets. Just too many bad ms. flooding the piles.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
TeddyG said:
I have no clue what mag. Sky runs or if it is widely read, but you could try his mag

Alas, no. Extremely small market stuff: Ancient Paths.

And due to my unisex name, I should probably mention I am female. I always do at some point. :) Although usually not until my client says to me, "It's really nice of you to want to take off six weeks to help your wife after she has the baby, but do you really need to stop freelancing for that long?" And then I have to say, "Uh, actually, I'm having the baby. And yes, I do need to stop for that long."

smiley10000

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I would be comfortable publishing in a christian market (please take no offence Skylar). It just doesn't feel right to me. The secular market is one thing, but something that is so contrary to my beliefs as another religion...

Teddy, you're right. I was looking through AgentQuery and there were actually agents that were actively looking for Jewish themes. So we'll see how things go...

:Shrug:10000

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
smiley10000 said:
I don't think I would be comfortable publishing in a christian market (please take no offence Skylar). It just doesn't feel right to me. The secular market is one thing, but something that is so contrary to my beliefs as another religion...

I understand that sentiment perfectly well. (As for taking offense, check out my signature line: I think people too often go out of thier way to take it.)

oops sorry about the gender thing...sheesh :D

Blame my parents. Not only did they give me a unisex name, but they gave me no middle name to balance it. Now my middle name is my maiden name, which is, alas, masculine. (But I've always liked "Skylar" anyway.)

Last edited:

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
smiley10000 said:

I know you wrote this to Skylar, but I thought I would just say that I also am not comfortable with publishing in a Christian market... and I'm a Christian. I prefer secular markets, because I always see them as more willing to accept my Fantasy works than many Christian publishers would be.

Plus, a lot of my beliefs are quite different than what mainstream Christianity believes in the first place. I don't know how open Christian publishers would be to beliefs that differ, in some cases I would imagine vastly, from their own.

ETA:

By the way, Smiley, thanks for posting this thread. It looks to me like the forum has gotten quite a bit more use since you wrote your OP to this thread.

Last edited:

rfbw

Circumcision is not for sissies. I have spent 17 years writing a serious book about Jews in the American Military. It runs from 1634 to 2006. I am dying to find a discussion group of one or more who could guide me in this endeavour. Ron