Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Having a senior moment here.

Normally, the threat in blackmail is to harm the person you're blackmailing; what if it's harm to yourself?

Example: that Irish guy in prison who threatened to (and did) starve himself to death if the government didn't do this or that.

I have a feeling that there's a specific word for that but it completely evades me and the dictionary/thesaurus is no help.

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Dictionary.com defines it as this:

1. Extortion of money or something else of value from a person by the threat of exposing a criminal act or discreditable information.
    2. Something of value extorted in this manner.
If whoever that person is threatening would experience a loss of something valuable (to them) as a result, then it would be considered blackmail...

Alien Enigma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Blackmail is similar to this: If you do something for me, I won't do "X." It's a form of a tradeoff or a deal, but it has sinister motives.

Hunger Strike would probably fit the situation you're talking about.

Jeff

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thanks to all; I guess in this situation threat is the best word. For some reason I was convinced there was a separate word. Must be going off my rocker, or confusing it with something german and offbeat.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To those in support of the hunger strike, it's a protest. To those whom the strike is aimed against, it's blackmail.

I just know I wouldn't be any good at it. They would break me the first time they waved a pepperoni pizza or cheeseburger under my nose. ;-)

ac

Last edited:

sacredmime

Esteemed New Member
Registered
Reaction score
If it's David Blane, you can call it a publicity stunt. If not, you could call it extreme dieting ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.