Locked out at Office Party, Prayer should be acceptable here. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightShadow

defender of the blahs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life. Psalm 138:7

We tend to only pray when we are in trouble, forgetting that we should pray also to thank the Lord for His blessings, to thank Him for the troubled times that we grow stronger through, and to worship him through our daily prayers. Just remember, God always answers prayer; it's just that sometimes He says yes, sometimes He says no, and sometimes He says wait. Often His answer takes longer than we desire, and we continue to walk in the midst of trouble, but it is in that trouble that He preserves us, not fails us. When all seems hopeless it is then that He places a protective wall around us, causing the Enemy's attack to cease and to fail. Like a bird in the cage, we do not enter His protection to be jailed, but to be protected from that which is outside His protection.

Puddle Jumper

I can't go to sleep at night if I haven't prayed. When I was a kid my parents had me pray every night before I went to bed. That's stuck with me. I can't go to sleep if I haven't prayed with an occassional exception if I was just way too tired.

I struggle with prayer without ceasing, praying throughout the day. I want to be praying constantly throughout the day, I think it helps our relationship with the Lord.

InspiredWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Prayer is my most important writing tool...

Among the many reasons I maintain a regular prayer life (sanity, connection to God and others, strength, etc) I have found that prayer is a very important part of my writing life. In fact, I just posted about it on my blog a few days ago.

Sometimes troubles come to remind us to pray. Sometimes the come because we neglected to pray. Sometimes they come in answer to our prayers!

Either way, it's time to pray,

Elizabeth

LightShadow

defender of the blahs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
My wife and I never prayed together, and then about a year ago we began praying every night together holding hands, and now our marriage is stronger than it's ever been. We've been married 22 years coming this August.

Puddle Jumper

LightShadow said:
My wife and I never prayed together, and then about a year ago we began praying every night together holding hands, and now our marriage is stronger than it's ever been. We've been married 22 years coming this August.
I think that's sweet. :) I think married couples should pray together. They should put God first in their lives, put Him before they put each other and trust Him to keep their relationship strong and loving.

LightShadow

defender of the blahs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Puddle Jumper said:
I think that's sweet. :) I think married couples should pray together. They should put God first in their lives, put Him before they put each other and trust Him to keep their relationship strong and loving.
That's what I think: right on the money. We also serve each other, and the more I give, the more I receive. With the Lord as the focus of our marriage, we have prospered, and understand each other better than in the beginning when we were being selfish and so forth. Praying together made the Lord our primary focus. As we pray, it leads into other aspects of our lives, including going to church together, working out problems together, handling our children on the same page, etc. Unfortunately, it wasn't always this way, and we have a prodigal son as evidence of those days of difference. But, it was through those struggles that made us stronger, and brought us closer together. Through our toughest times the Lord makes us stronger.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's wonderful when a couple can pray together; however, I'd be very careful about using the word "should" concerning this. I believe that the Bible encourages Christians to pray individually as well as together, but nowhere is it mandated that couples pray together, nor is "prosperity" in a marriage promised if they do so. Certainly it can be a very uniting practice, but it's not a formula for success in marriage or parenting. Saying a couple "should" pray together has overtones of legalism, IMHO.

(And no, my husband and I do not habitually pray together--though we are not opposed to it, and have been led to do so from time to time. :) )

Puddle Jumper

It might not be specifically spelled out, but the Bible does support us coming together with another to pray.

"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." Matt. 18:19-20

I do think it's a good practice for couples. And as you say Pat, someone who is married should also spend time along with the Lord. :)

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Puddle Jumper said:

We do this now to. .. it took over 14 years before we realized we both wanted to be doing this. :D

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Puddle Jumper said:
It might not be specifically spelled out, but the Bible does support us coming together with another to pray.

"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." Matt. 18:19-20

I do think it's a good practice for couples. And as you say Pat, someone who is married should also spend time along with the Lord. :)

Yes, I do believe the Bible encourages us to come together and pray--and it can be very beneficial for couples to do this, specifically. Not because it's a guarantee of a 'successful' and prosperous marriage or a problem-free family life, but because it will enrich their faith and their relationship with God and each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.