Can't remember the title of this book

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Read this book years ago. It was YA, or I think it was, but it was sort of before YA was a thing the way it is now.

Setting - contemporary, but during Vietnam War (I think.)

Protagonist - a teenage girl, who keeps getting strep throat. First person POV.

Plot - she discovers her neighbour or cousin or someone is hiding their brother/friend (sorry so vague) because he doesn't want to go to war, and is a pacifist who is dodging the draft. Follows that drama. The guy's name was Stephen.

I know, I know. I'm looking for a blue book in a bookshop. But it was fairly controversialI think, and might as well try. Not getting anywhere with vague internet searches.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
So, written in the Seventies? I assume this was an American title.

I doubt I'm going to think of this, but since figuring out YA titles people remember is what I do all day every day, so it's going to bug me.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Gargh. My backlist knowledge goes only so far, but I'll grind on it. Can't not, even if I doubt I'm going to remember it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Did you try Loganberry? If they don't know, no one does. Link is to the pages with V, but search for whatever. You may have to back out to their redesigned page but I prefer the old layout, heh.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the older archive pages; I prefer the design but sometimes it's glitchy -- the redesigned ones can be accessed from the 'Stump the Bookseller' link in the middle of the bar of this page.