Eurovision 2018 LIVE Comment Thread

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, y'all! I had so much fun the last two years, I thought I'd start the live comment thread for this year. Once again, Logo is going to show the final live on Saturday in the US, May 12, at 3:00 PM Eastern/12:00 Pacific, and their website coverage is pissing me off big time. No mention of Dana International, furthering trans invisibility. Thanks, guys. I've found that Sweden's stream plays on my Mac so I'll try them tomorrow instead. I'm going into this semi-blind, as usual; I've watched the YouTube clip introducing the contestants and their songs but it's all snippets less than 30 seconds long so I really don't know what everybody really sounds like (except Great Britain. Dear sweaty baby Jeebus, THAT WAS BORING. A combination of Sarah McLachlan and Dido that did nothing for me. We'll see tomorrow.

But I still don't know if I should stand for the Eurovision anthem at the beginning!

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Hoping to join you tomorrow, BenPanced. I haven't heard any of the songs (not even the UK one), so you're ahead of me on that score, lol.

I can't remember - you liked who you had commentating last year, didn't you? Have you got the same again this year? We've got Graham Norton, who's fab. :greenie

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last year was Michelle Visage and Ross Matthews, both from RuPaul's Drag Race; Michelle Visage is pretty much RuPaul's right-hand and Ross Matthews is a regular judge on the show. This year, it's Ross Matthews and DR contestant Shangela. I'm not sure why Michelle Visage is gone but I'm not crazy about it. She and Ross Matthews both sounded intelligent and informed on the show and its participants, unlike Carson Kressley and whoever the first time (I'll never forget Carson Kressley dismissing the rules as "too long". Girlina, it's only 7 PAGES printed out. That should only take you, what, two weeks, if you apply yourself?)

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the first semi-final and four of the five I'd wanted to go through made it: Estonia, Ireland, Albania, and Israel. Armenia didn't make it. Another update after I go through the second!

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Here's the running order:

01. Ukraine

02. Spain

03. Slovenia

04. Lithuania

05. Austria

06. Estonia

07. Norway

08. Portugal

— break position

09. United Kingdom

10. Serbia

11. Germany

12. Albania

13. France

14. Czech Republic

15. Denmark

16. Australia

— break position

17. Finland

18. Bulgaria

19. Moldova

20. Sweden

21. Hungary

22. Israel

23. The Netherlands

24. Ireland

25. Cyprus

26. Italy

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And from the second semi, Moldova, Denmark, and Hungary. Rasmussen from Denmark is now my current pretend internet husband.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watching the live stream from Germany. Simple Minds is performing Don't You Forget About Me, the only song they ever recorded in the entire history of everything, during a pre-show outdoor concert.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought that was going to be one of the important questions that's answered during the contest: who has the better dress?

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. Many of the acts have that middle-of-the-road/adult contemporary radio feel to them this year, Spain especially. Like they were going more for what would sell more on iTunes.