California road trip adventure!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
More accurately: mainly California with a bit of Nevada and Arizona, possibly Utah, but that's not as snappy.

For our main holiday this year, my wife had the brilliant idea of visiting the West coast of the US. We've been to the East coast twice, but never West, and both of those other times we were staying with family, so didn't really have to fend for ourselves.

Well, this time, we figured we'd go it alone. Start in San Francisco, hire a car, and drive over to Vegas - on a fairly indirect route via Yosemite and Death Valley - then over to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, over to San Diego, then up the coast road back to SF to finish. :eek: :e2hammer:

Current estimate is we need about three weeks, and even then we'll have to cover a fair amount of mileage every day (>2,500 miles in total!). So we want to make sure we're seeing and doing the right stuff while we're there. This would be end of August / start of September, probably.

Any tips / recommendations / bewares for this part of the world? What's worth going out of our way for? We don't want to visit many more cities, but interesting towns are definitely on the menu - for example, we'd figured we'd stop in Napa along the way to sample some local vino :)

All suggestions welcome!

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Ages ago, I drove from San Francisco to Arizona, then up to Utah, Idaho, and back through northern Nevada to San Francisco. It was great fun (although Nevada was not to my taste). Do try to visit some of the national parks in Arizona and Utah.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I spent some time in part of the area you'll be visiting a few years ago, northern Arizona and southern Utah. My tips: There is one, count 'em one, hotel near Monument Valley. Make your reservation at Goulding's Lodge early or you'll be driving a long way to and from. The hotel is not part of a chain and is largely staffed by local Indians (who do not call themselves Native Americans but identify by their tribe, the Navajo). The attached restaurant is fine for breakfast, not so hot for dinner, but there are no options nearby. They have a movie theatre on-site that shows old Westerns every night in which Monument Valley is among the settings.

The lines to drive into the valley are long except early in the day. You can use your rental car (it was $20 in 2015) or pay about $60 per person to ride an open-air wagon on the Seventeen Mile Drive. Be warned the roads in the valley are horrible, among the worst I've ever been on in terms of bumpiness, ruts, rocks sticking out, giant holes, etc., and some low-slung cars will surely be scraped on the underside. I remember as we were leaving, we saw a classic Mustang in the line and wondered aloud if he knew what he was in for. Consider this when you choose your rental car. The monuments themselves are very photogenic.

With limited time, you can't see all the wonders of the national parks in the area, but I recommend working Bryce Canyon into the agenda if at all possible. I find it as amazing as the Grand Canyon, and a lot less out of your way. Other worthy parks include Arches, Zion, and Natural Bridges.

Maryn, who kept notes

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Former San Diegan here. I assume you'll want to go to the San Diego Zoo. The best little known parts of the Zoo are a) the Hummingbird Aviary (a walk-through), which is to the left as you enter, past the reptile house and before the Children's Zoo and b) Fern Canyon, which is to the right as you enter, but you'll probably need directions or a map to find it. Feel free to ask one of the volunteers.

And please wave to the flamingos for me. (They're front and center and easy to find.) One of them is named Shirley in honor of my mother.

If at all possible plan to drive through LA on a weekend, preferably a Sunday. Allow a couple of hours extra time to do so. Traffic through LA is almost as bad as it gets.

The coast route up from San Diego to San Francisco is very beautiful, but also tight. Last time we went (which admittedly was a couple of decades ago) there were no public restrooms for lengthy passages, so be prepared to stop and shop or stop at a café.

The area around Monterrey has some nice B & B hotels in Victorian houses. If you have the time and the wherewithal, I recommend them. Monterrey also has a good aquarium, as does La Jolla, which is technically in San Diego, but has it's own address.

I'm not remembering where Solvang is with respect to your trip, but if it's anywhere near, it's a nice place to stop for tea and Danish pastries.

You probably know about San Juan Capistrano, the mission town on the Southern California coast noted for its swallows. It's a nice place to stop on your way north. We haven't been there in awhile, but I'm sure you can fine decent places to eat there.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're planning on making an overnight stay at the Grand Canyon (particularly if you want to stay within the actual park): BOOK NOW.

ETA: If you have time to visit Sedona AZ, do so. It's beautiful and has a mellow, artsy vibe that's very appealing.

Last edited:

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Big Sur is a must! It's a couple of hours south of San Francisco and the scenery along the coast is just beautiful. Nepenthe is a nice place to eat with fantastic views. Close to Big Sur is Carmel, a cute little town with lots of art galleries. I also really enjoyed my trip to Hearst Castle, further south.

Sounds like a great trip!

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
If you can take Highway 49 on your way to Yosemite, it'll take you through very pretty rolling foothills and old mining towns. One way to get to it is take I-80 from San Francisco to Sacramento and then take the 50 to Placerville (original name of the city was Hangtown). I recommend the Cozmic Cafe there, which is built into the entrance of an old mine. Sonora Is one of my favorite towns on the 49. I also recommend Calaveras Big Trees State Park (giant Sequoias) in the area, and there's also really nice caverns too.

Unless you're coming after labor day (September 3rd) try not to go to Yosemite Valley during the weekend. It's not as bad after labor day, but weekdays are the best. In late August Yosemite Falls will be a trickle if it's not totally dry, but the Valley is still beautiful. Really though, I recommend spending time in Tuolumne Meadows on Highway 120/Tioga Road. The Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias should be open by then (Grove has been closed for a couple of years for restoration) but it's in the southern part of the park (incidentally, that's where I live)

When you take Tioga Rd to get to the East side, stop at the Chevron/Mobile gas station on your right just before you hit Highway 395 and Lee Vining. Inside is the Whoa Nellie Deli, and I kid you not, the food is amazing.

Check out Lee Vining and definitely Mono Lake. As you travel south detour to Mammoth Lakes and Schat's bakery. There's another Schat's in Bishop so stop there too (same family owns both).

At Lone Pine go west and the check out the Alabama Hills. It's a popular filming location and the views of the Sierra Nevada are great.

Why yes, I do love the Sierra Nevada. Why do you ask? :tongue

Be aware you will be visiting during fire season (but in all honesty, we now say fire season begins January 1 and ends December 31) so watch for road closures.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like an idea for a GREAT novella....

*Scribbles down idea, eyes darting wildly*

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I too recommend Hearst Castle. In Napa, I recommend eating at Boon Fly Café, amazing brunch food. Also if you're a fan of movies, you can go to Bodega Bay and the see the school and church from Hitchcock's The Birds. If you like hiking, Armstrong Redwood Forest, or an early morning hike up Mount Tamalpais to watch the sunrise over The Bay area. Also if you can make it check out Joshua Tree National Park. In Malibu, the Getty villa is worth checking out. Also the Malibu Creek State Park where you can see part of the MASH set that was left behind after the series ended.

Also if you see and In'N'Out burger anywhere, stop and get some comfort food for the road. Best burgers around.

Hope this helps.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
At Lone Pine go west and the check out the Alabama Hills. It's a popular filming location and the views of the Sierra Nevada are great.

Why yes, I do love the Sierra Nevada. Why do you ask? :tongue

Be aware you will be visiting during fire season (but in all honesty, we now say fire season begins January 1 and ends December 31) so watch for road closures.

Highly seconded. I was there in March for my bday, posted some pictures in the MarNoWriMo thread. Will see if I can dig them up, but I would highly recommend it. If you're up for a drive up a winding mountain, make sure to visit the ancient bristlecone pine forest with the oldest trees in the world.

ETA- That's the forest in my avi pic.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Third vote for the Hearst Castle! Do order your tour tickets ahead of time.

Also a second vote for Carmel!

Also, I neglected to mention places to eat in San Diego: Albert's for fine dining at the Zoo (my mother loves their clam chowder, and they always have something a vegetarian can eat; the Hillcrest area on University Avenue between 5th and 6th has several nice eateries (I especially like Taste of Thai); for vegan, I like Sipz (an Asian fusion vegan place) on 30th, just off University Avenue; haven't eaten there myself in decades, but the Taco Company (name may be slightly different) at the base of the Washington Street hill at the intersection of India Street makes the best tacos in San Diego, and yes, I heard someone say that recently.

In San Diego, just walking through Balboa Park is a pleasure. There's a lathe house Botanical Garden, a large waterlily pond, wonderfully tiled Spanish-style buildings. Park and walk through it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Amazing responses, everyone! I will take some time to absorb all your suggestions, but thank you for the help so far!

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the bay area and when a friend came from Canada to visit, we did a local road trip with a few fun stops: We drove highway 49 (the 49ers is a thing here, with mining and some kind of sports) up toward the Sierras; on the way up to 49 there's an odd little town called Copperopolis: creepiest place I've ever been on a sunny spring morning. The 49 goes past Folsom, and Folsom prison museum is neat and has fun souveniers. We then went all the way west to the Point Reyes lighthouse to watch the sunset. And Muir Woods the next day to see giant trees. Our stop in San Quentin included the prison museum which is actually inside the prison so you have to hand over your cell phone at the gates; the gift shop was closed which was disappointing because all the items in it were made by prisoners, and they get to earn money for their art. Our last stop was Fisherman's Wharf for fish and chips and antique and classic arcade games at the Musee Mechanique.

Other trips I've done:
Yosemite is lovely, but there are way too many people there. All the time. Spots are booked months in advance and fill up the day they're available. If I ever go back it will only be with a backpack because I prefer my nature with as few other humans as possible.

Joshua Tree Park may be on your way there. The desert is not something I thought I'd enjoy, but I wanted to see the trees, and both were awesome. We went to see the stars over the desert at night, but it stormed while we were there. If you like rocks and climbing, there's great bouldering in Joshua Tree. You need to bring your own water though; there's none in the park.

The drive from Bakersfield toward Sequoia National Forest (Kernville has camping and many cute little cabins) is very fun. Windy road along a river between two grass and rock covered mountains. Of course it was misty and darkening and the outcrops looked like trolls about to climb out of the banks.

Last edited:

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the bay area and when a friend came from Canada to visit, we did a local road trip with a few fun stops: We drove highway 49 (the 49ers is a thing here, with mining and some kind of sports) up toward the Sierras; on the way up to 49 there's an odd little town called Copperopolis: creepiest place I've ever been on a sunny spring morning. The 49 goes past Folsom, and Folsom prison museum is neat and has fun souveniers. We then went all the way west to the Point Reyes lighthouse to watch the sunset. And Muir Woods the next day to see giant trees.
I'll second Point Reyes and Muir Woods. But not Muir Woods on a weekend. Parking is terrible. And there are some excellent creamaries in the area if you want cheese to go with your wine. And if you want beer, the Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa is one of my favorites, with good pizza. Lagunitas is in Petaluma, but I'm meh on it. Off of Highway 395, I like the June Lake Brewing in June Lake, and Black Doubt in Mammoth. Hmm...actually, if you really want to know some good breweries in California, pm me and I'll send you a list.

Also, I love Copperopolis. It's so fun to say. I ended up there after taking a wrong turn once and now own a shirt with a picture of California on it that says "Where the hell is Copperopolis?"

Though the 49 doesn't go past Folsom. The 50 does.

I also recommend a day at Pinnacles National Park, east of Monterey. You may be passing near it on Highway 101 anyways, since a mudslide last year closed part of Highway 1 just south of Big Sur and it might not be open in time for your trip, so you'll have to detour.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Beer? Did someone say beer? Yes please! :e2drunk:

So far I am definitely planning a trip to Russian River, and I understand Fieldwork have a taproom in Napa. I'd love some other suggestions! My wife doesn't drink beer, though, so I'm hoping these places at least have some soft alternatives. Couple of bad experiences on a recent trip to Barcelona where apparently having 40 taps of beer means you don't even have a can of Coke in the fridge... :Shrug:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Napa. I know a lot of secret places. If you're going to the Russian River, wave to me as you're kayaking away. I live on the damn thing. :D

I'll be your fourth vote for Hearst Castle. And your second vote for Academy of Sciences. Good news about Napa is you can stop ANYWHERE for food, and the food will be top notch amazing. You almost don't even have to plan, just yelp some nearby places, and get it. Food in Sonoma is incredible.

Just because I wanna say it...there are still many families who are displaced from the Sonoma fires. Some of the houses that burned aren't rebuilt yet. We are so, so, so glad to have tourists coming through. While you're here, make sure you buy local! We love tourists.