• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Avant Garde Publishing

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Pics of their editors are up, plus prices. NO info on what makes any of them qualified for the work, you have to go to each website to see. I checked and no one seems to have a resume indicating any pro-level experience. Mission statements abound, but nothing like "I worked for (name of publisher we've heard of) for X number of years as an assistant editor."

Some are indie editors with websites, others are "staffers." No one seems to have actually worked in pro publishing, even as a summer intern.

They're likely very nice people, and do okay for what they do, but I'd rather have someone with solid cred in the industry working on my books, even if it costs more.

Last edited:

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Also looks like a lot of their output are books by the founder. Nothing wrong with publishing your own work, but I always wonder whether you're going to put as much time and effort into mine when you're so busy with yours. (I worked in publishing, and I left in order to be able to focus on my own writing. Because it's very difficult to do both.)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked at this page? Publishing Non-Refundable Fee

In short, they charge new authors a $225 "publishing fee." They charge returning authors TWICE that.

The publishing non-refundable fee covers the publishing of printed paperback books in which the author will receive once their book is published. Authors will receive 25 printed paperback books when their books are published.

If the poorly-worded, ungrammatical website is any indicator, these people have no business editing anyone's work. I had a look at their lone published book (which just came out a week or two ago) and it also indicates the editing for this publisher is sub-par.

They have a whole menu of "author services" available for purchase, including "personal assistants" (that link is currently blank) and "book reviews."

They are planning an anti-cyber-bullying-of-indies-themed anthology. The call for submissions closes 2/1/19 and the anthology comes out 3/17/19 (!!!). Submission details on this page ought to serve as further warning that the individuals running this company do not know what they're doing.

(And I fully expect that this thread will come under attack for "cyber-bullying" as well.)

Step away.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On top of that fee, here's the royalty breakdown:

Authors will receive:

• 60% in royalties for eBooks
  • 50% in royalties for Printed Books (Paperback & Hardcover)
  • 40% in royalties for Audiobooks

I really can't tell if this company is a vanity press, or if they provide a la carte services to self-publishing authors, or if it's a hybrid of the two.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
What's confusing is they keep talking about "indie" authors, which I thought (although it has always been a somewhat nebulous term), referred to self-published authors.

I know a number of pro-pubbed authors who have gone indie with their backlist and with new works. The royalty rate per sale is nearly always better than what's offered by commercial houses. There may not be as many sales without a publisher's promotion machine behind it. It is a trade off.

When I use "indie" I usually mean self-pubbers.

One of their editors is charging 85 cents a word for her services. I hope that is a typo, and if so, it does not speak well of her abilities.

If not, then run like hell.

Last edited: