Major screw up - I queried two agents at the same agency

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
It was a total accident. I got a like from an agent for DVPit and was excited because he's been closed to queries for a while, and I just sent off my MS. The other agent has had my query for a month and for some stupid reason, I was thinking she was with a different agency--I've queried a lot at this point and have started to get them mixed up. I happened to be looking through my submissions today and realized my mistake.

What should I do? Write back the second agent to explain? Let it go and hope they just reject me soon?

:e2cry:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Write the DVpit agent and explain what happened. She's already shown interest in your pitch, so she might go ahead and ask Agent #1 if she's read your stuff yet. If not, or if Agent #1 has passed, then they can put you into Agent #2's queue.

It really happens all the time.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
:) Hi.

I'm thirding what Cyia said. I came across two authors on Twitter who'd tweeted this exact dilemma to the second agent they'd contacted, after realizing that they'd sent their manuscript to another agent at their agency, who still had their query: The second agent said, "No problem. Thanks for letting me know. I'll just touch base with the first agent."

So, it seems that as long as you contact the second agent to let them know that another agent at their agency still has your manuscript, they won't immediately reject you based on that.

Last edited:

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
You were right! He was super-sweet about it! Thanks so much!!!