Origin of a quote from Jessica Mitford

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have come across the following quote in Joan Didion's Slouching Towards Bethlehem:

"You are the least important person in the room and don't forget it," Jessica Mitford's governess hissed in her ear.

Does anybody know if the quote was initially mentioned by Mitford in an interview and if so, which one? Or if it is from one of her memoirs and which one? I've tried searching online but couldn't seem to find and answer.

Thanks!

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if I was unclear. I was reading Slouching Towards Bethlehem last night and in the essay title On Keeping A Notebook, Didion wrote on p.136 ("You're the least important person in the room and don't forget it," Jessica Mitford's governess would hiss in her ear on the advent of any social occasion.)

I have tried to search online if Jessica Midford (who was a journalist and author) mentioned that line Didion quoted in an interview or one of her books but I couldn't find the answer.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
How about this newspaper article, from 1979--

She is, as Carl Bernstein says in the book's afterword, "a lady who knew something about collecting injustices and setting them straight." Farve and Muv

She has keen eyes that can pierce like a falcon's, and a pleasant amount of plumpness that seems quite content to stay where it is, thank you very much. She talks in italics and sentences that parse, and sits up very straight with her hands folded in perfect composure and quotes her nanny.

"Nanny would always say, 'Don't forget you're the least important person in the room,' which is a salutary thing, when you come to think about it."

All in all, she looks like the archetypical English gentlewoman, a bit dotty perhaps, but quite content to keep to her roses and her prize-winning pugs. Precisely the sort of activities that do occupy her first cousin and are mild occupations indeed compared to the immediate members of the Mitford clan.