A question about painkillers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm in the right place to ask about something like this, but...

I went to the hospital in the states this winter and after some tests a nurse came to me with a catheter. She didn't ask any questions about the level of pain I was in and offered no explanation as to what she was about to do. It's only after I ask that she said it was painkillers (she didn't specify what), which I refused.
Another hour later, another nurse came to me with a little paper cup with, once again, painkillers, which I again refused.

Is this normal? With everything I hear about addictive painkillers, I find it strange they twice offered them without even talking to me about it.

Anyone else experience something like this?

Last edited:

paradoxikay

everything happens so much
Registered
Reaction score
I mean... were you in pain? It's fine that you refused them, but if you were in pain (or had an injury or condition that's usually painful) it doesn't seem unreasonable for you to have been offered pain medication.

The only issue I see here is that you shouldn't have had to ask what medication you were being given, though in my experience that does happen more than it should.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, generally, it's a nurse's job to follow orders: the procedure said 'offer painkillers' so she offers them. Theoretically, I believe your doctor who should have checked with you.
Don't know why you were having a catheter put in, but some people find it painful.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
I was in pain when I arrived, but by the time they offered these, whatever was wrong with me had passed.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This really isn't the place to ask for medical information. Consult your physician.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.