PDA

View Full Version : Pick up the book nearest to you ...

Pages : [1] 2

Saint Fool
05-17-2006, 06:09 AM
Don't go rushing off to find something impressive. Just pick up whatever's closest.

Turn to page 59.

Count down 5 lines.

Post the sentence that begins and/or ends on that line and the book/author it came from -- like this:

"Another fan turned up with a stack of Dungannon novels."
Bimbos of the Death Sun by Sharyn McCrumb

James Buchanan
05-17-2006, 06:14 AM
"She was wearing maybe a pound too much Makeup."
Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris

I love Sharyn McCrumb's take on life btw.

rpl
05-17-2006, 06:43 AM
"Sered, and Elon, and Jahleel."
Genesis by anonymous.

September skies
05-17-2006, 06:50 AM
"Continual means a steady repetition, over and over again"
The Associated Press Stylebook, editor Norm Goldstein

(the only book on my desk - all reading books are on my bookshelves or by my bedside)

poetinahat
05-17-2006, 06:52 AM
"For example, your desk at work is an environment."

Learning the Korn Shell, by Bill Rosenblatt

P.H.Delarran
05-17-2006, 07:05 AM
"I, as a woman writing always "I," am more honest than Henry generalizing on his "Late City Man," modern man, when he only means himself and makes it appear cosmic when it is subjective."
Fire, by Anais Nin

underthecity
05-17-2006, 07:23 AM
"She reached out not once, but twice to still my hand."

The Book of Renfield, by Tim Lucas

Peggy
05-17-2006, 07:40 AM
"His father was an impractical dreamer, who had once wanted to build a lighthouse beside their tract home, and his mother was a beleaguered drudge, who did all the work around the house, struggled to make ends meet, and often screamed at his father, "Grow up!""

Little Follies, by Eric Kraft

Puddle Jumper
05-17-2006, 07:43 AM
a structure made of adobe bricks

It's from Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary

Unique
05-17-2006, 08:23 AM
The next thing I remember was the tremendous pain.
Steck-Vaughn Superstars in Action - Auto Racing

Lyra Jean
05-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Montfort massacred the citizens of Beziers in what is but a small example of cruelties that were brought against the Albigeneses by the pope's army for twenty years. The New Foxe's Book of Martyrs John Foxe rewritten and updated by Harold J. Chadwick

reph
05-17-2006, 08:50 AM
cuppa tea, a Bex and a good lie-down – a. 'The Australian remedy for most problems' (Camilla Raab): since the 1950s. A Bex is an Aspro.

Eric Partridge, A Dictionary of Catch Phrases American and British, from the Sixteenth Century to the Present Day.

I typed out the whole entry, not stopping with its first sentence. "A Bex is an Aspro" was too good to miss.

Puddle Jumper
05-17-2006, 08:54 AM
After Jacob returned from Paddan Aram, God appeared to him again and blessed him.
Gen. 35:9

Taurus Rising
05-17-2006, 10:31 AM
"As with ability score increases, it is the overall character level, not the class level, that determines when a character gets a new feat."

Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook version 3.5
by Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, and Skip Williams
Edited by Julia Martin and John Rateliff

I'm embarressed that the PH is the closest book to me right now.

Melisande
05-17-2006, 10:41 AM
bash'ing n. the act of assaulting or

Random house Webster's Dictionary, pocket, 2001.

(I am always trying to improve my english spelling and understanding)

poetinahat
05-17-2006, 10:50 AM
cuppa tea, a Bex and a good lie-down – a. 'The Australian remedy for most problems' (Camilla Raab): since the 1950s. A Bex is an Aspro.

Eric Partridge, A Dictionary of Catch Phrases American and British, from the Sixteenth Century to the Present Day.

I typed out the whole entry, not stopping with its first sentence. "A Bex is an Aspro" was too good to miss.
Too right!

Bex was a powdered substance to be mixed into, well, tea, I think. It was meant to calm the nerves. Turns out it was addictive -- don't remember exactly what the addictive substance was, but it was something powerful. A generation of drug-addicted housewives was the result.

Jaycinth
05-17-2006, 06:55 PM
"The sheriffs department has been assisting with aerial patrols."

'Forever Odd'....Dean Koontz

Sarita
05-17-2006, 07:00 PM
"Now Di'nah the daughter of Le'ah, whom she had borne to Jacob, used to go out to see the daughters of the land." Genesis 34:1 (NWT, Reference Edition)

ChaosTitan
05-17-2006, 07:32 PM
"And while it was a connection that they could fight for a short time, the longer they spent together, the more difficult it would be to resist."

Through a Crimson Veil, by Patti O'Shea

eldragon
05-17-2006, 08:01 PM
"Traca Traca is a toy: two solid, heavy plastic balls about an inch in diameter at either end of a string about twelve inches long."

Inside Nicaragua by Rita Golden Gelman.

PattiTheWicked
05-17-2006, 08:26 PM
"All those little grunting noises can quite turn one off one's feed."

The Corset Diaries
by Katie MacAllister

alleycat
05-17-2006, 09:21 PM
She finds no employment in the theater and, having no profession with which to earn a living, she soon succumbs to pressing necessity and turns to prostitution. – The Art of Dramatic Writing, Lajos Egri.

janetbellinger
05-17-2006, 10:21 PM
It is excellent for hamstrings, calves and the Achilles tendons. - Power Yoga by Liz Clark. I don't a ctually have any reading books on my desk only reference books. The reading books are elsewhere.

DeniseK
05-17-2006, 10:47 PM
"No floods? No droughts? No swarms of locusts or plagues of mice in the wheat?"

The White Earth by Andrew McGahan

CaroGirl
05-17-2006, 10:55 PM
You can, however, form contractions from pronouns and verbs, as in "If you're in the Design view" or "If it's pressed in."
~Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications, Second Edition.

I'm at work.

eta: Dang my job is boring. How do I stay conscious?

eldragon
05-17-2006, 11:52 PM
"It helps decrease sympathetic nerve arousal, yet excites the vagus nerve."

Knocking at the Gate of Life - and other healing exercises from China - by Edward C CHANG, PHD.

dahmnait
05-18-2006, 02:28 AM
"The maxim 'Show don't tell' comes to us from the late nineteenth century."

The Practice of Poetry - Writing Exercises from Poets Who Teach
Edited by Robin Behn & Chase Twichell
(from page 58 since page 59 is the Part Three divider page)

Alan Yee
05-18-2006, 03:29 AM
"She [Penelope Urbain] felt a thrill -- partly from the roaring engine, from the speed of the car (she was moving fast, too fast, on a suburban street, and she liked the speed too much)."

Atlanta Nights by Travis Tea

In the near future, I will post page 59, 5 lines down of the book I'm working on right now. Unfortunately, the book needs to be printed (in book form) before I can post it.

xhouseboy
05-18-2006, 03:31 AM
They talked of many other things as they dug their slow way towards the foundations of the House of Lords; of the need for money and horses, the number of Catholic peers - or those favourably disposed towards toleration - who should be warned to stay away from Parliament on February the 7th.

Intended Treason (What really happened in the Gunpowder Plot)

Paul Durst

DragonHeart
05-18-2006, 09:50 PM
"I'll kill you if you touch her, you bastard," she heard Ian mutter to Ry, but that oath was spoken far too softly for the others to hear. - Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, Book 2), Holly Lisle

jenngreenleaf
05-18-2006, 09:56 PM
"No, I really think it would be very bad form to play hot cockles. We must leave such puerile amusements to the good bourgeois of the Rue Saint-Denis -- but in the case of Chaussee-d'Antin --"
Edmond and His Cousin; Edmond, ETC., Charles Paul de Kock

HeyBooBoo
05-19-2006, 01:13 AM
"The basic formula for drama is setup, buildup, and payoff--just like a joke."

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott

Puddle Jumper
05-19-2006, 02:22 AM
In a modern story that ends with a response to theme, the author also steps forward to comment on matters in the narrative.

The Complete Handbook of Novel Writing by Meg Leder, Jack Heffron, and the editors of Writer's Digest

arrowqueen
05-19-2006, 02:26 AM
The Argos Catalogue. Anybody want a lawn-mower?

Puddle Jumper
05-19-2006, 08:17 AM
"Christmas was going to just be me this year and pretty lonely."

"The Witness" by Dee Henderson

Anya Smith
05-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Only when there was a small residual spin, enough to ward off suspicion, were the ion rockets quietened and the installations removed from the surface.

Redemption Ark, by Alastair Reynolds

Puddle Jumper
05-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Hagrid seized his umbrella and whirled it over his head, "NEVER--" he thundered, "--INSULT -- ALBUS -- DUMBLEDORE -- IN -- FRONT -- OF -- ME!"

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

BardSkye
05-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Manuscripts don't count? Drat.

"It wasn't a decision Elspeth had ever needed to make, and she hoped it was one nobody in Valdemar would be forced to face."

Storm Breaking by Mercedes Lackey

kristie911
05-19-2006, 09:12 AM
Sure as hell a damn sight better woman than her mom.
~The Third Victim by Lisa Gardner

Lyra Jean
05-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Lyra knew one of them, a sixteen-year-old she admired because could spit further than anyone else she'd ever heard of, and she went and waited humbly for him to notice her. The Golden Compass Philip Pullman

Sury
05-19-2006, 10:40 AM
This is my third visit, since I flew back from Jersey, using up all my savings in the process; and I will leave after the operation, not to fly away again, but to return to the hills which have always called me back.

~ The Best of Ruskin Bond (1994 edition) by Ruskin Bond

Yeshanu
05-20-2006, 05:36 AM
I have two books, one by my left hand, and one by my right. I shall hereby post from both of them, and thus reveal my true nature. :D

On my right hand, the sheep:

'Then Hal can't have seen one,' said Ted. There was some laughing and clapping: the audience seemed to think that Ted had scored a point.

(You can guess the novel, if the next reference doesn't give it away...)

On my left, the goats:

(Lines 4-6 from Page 59)

Tolkien's. None other. The culpability rests solely with him.

Well, him and those elves. Mm-mmh!

"If you give a girl a hobbit," by Esther M. Friesner, in Meditations on Middle Earth, Karen Haber, Editor.

Tricksie-ish
05-20-2006, 05:40 AM
"As a physician I have seen the devastating effects that physical pain can have on people's lives."

The Four Things That Matter Most. A Book about Living
by Ira Byock, MD

PeeDee
05-20-2006, 08:06 AM
"At the corner, he looked around once more, then set off east on Frank, heading for Sandy Hill."

-- Moonheart, by Charles de Lint

Celestia
05-21-2006, 07:52 AM
"That's far from comforting," Seren said in a tone she was sure Morgen and the others couldn't hear.

--Sword of Darkness: Lords of Avalon, by Kinley MacGregor

I just finished this book and have it on my desk to remind me to take it to the library as a donation when the others are due. The rest of the books on my desk are all reference books.

ValkyrieRavenfeather
05-21-2006, 05:50 PM
This dim uneasiness needs careful handling.
The Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis.

Glynis
05-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Sometimes he was gone before his closest friend-in-arms even knew he had been hit.

Achilles in Vietnam
Jonathan Shay

smiley10000
05-22-2006, 04:50 PM
They go the rounds of all the respectable houses, and receive contributions every Christmas, and we esteemed it a first-rate treat to hear them.

--Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Dan A Lewis
07-07-2006, 12:05 AM
The gasoline smell had grown pungent.
Castleview by Gene Wolfe

Medievalist
07-07-2006, 12:10 AM
"Founded for ferde for to fle, in fourme þat þou tellez,
I were a knyȝt kowarde, I myȝt not be excused."
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. J. R. R. Tolkien, E. V. Gordon and Norman Davis eds.

AdamH
07-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Surely this religion had more than one story in its bag --- religions abound with stories.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

FreeStyle
07-07-2006, 08:22 AM
"Now she could begin to see him/her as a woman."

Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy

Lady Cat
07-08-2006, 04:14 AM
He couldn't open his eyes, couldn't move

Highland Dream by Tess Mallory

Tre
07-11-2006, 06:43 AM
The sentence starts on line three and ends on line seven.

Anywhere else in Chicago he would have stood a good chance of being arrested, but the police in Packingtown were apparently used to these informal movings, and contented themselves with a cursory examination now and then.

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

Mod35tBabe
07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
"Mother certainly couldn't remember after the pain she suffered giving birth to Dominic." The Dark by James Herbert

hjwilde
07-12-2006, 03:36 PM
"The therapist claimed that Charlotte's newfound passion for organization was symptomatic of her need to control every detail of her life so that she could never again be surprised."

Dead Ringer by Jasmine Cresswell

TsukiRyoko
07-14-2006, 07:40 PM
"...Soobie, I'll whale you, 'fore God!"
The Gunslinger by Stephen King

Rivana
07-14-2006, 07:52 PM
"I watched anxiously for the water signs that Sergeant Duril had taught me -a line of trees, a depression where the plants where thick and greener than ususal or animal tracks converging -but I saw only that the land was becomming more barren and even stonier."
Shaman's Crossing, Book One of the Soldier Son Trilogy by Robin Hobb

Is it any wonder some people find my sentences longwinded at times? And it still ain't nothing compared to most fantasy novels I've read.

Marlys
07-14-2006, 08:15 PM
"I have some financial matters to discuss with you, my lord," Jamie said. "I was talking with Abby Sawtell--"

The Price of Temptation by yours truly, which really was the closest book to hand! I'm writing the acknowledgments for my new book, and wanted to see what I said last time.

Soccer Mom
07-16-2006, 12:03 AM
When he reached the front door of the castle it was opened for him by a guard and he took a deep breath as he stepped outside into the cold sunlight to face the assembled men.

The 47 Ronin Story by John Allyn

NightWynde
07-17-2006, 12:24 PM
"At the very least, if they were discovered in his posession, they'd be taken from him and burned."

--The Outstretched Shadow: Obsidian Trilogy Book 1 by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory

Sidenote: Drat on my husband for leaving his book out. :tongue

persiphone_hellecat
07-21-2006, 02:22 AM
He wanted to return to life, and he wanted to leave life as he has entered it: lost in a poem.

In the Hand of Dante Nick Tosches

Tre
07-23-2006, 01:15 PM
She was on life support and not expected to live through the day.

A Beautiful Child -- Matt Birkbeck

Anonymisty
07-28-2006, 08:02 PM
"Kirk and secular law both required us to report any rumor of Darkness."

Bloodring, by Faith Hunter

laurel29
07-28-2006, 09:15 PM
The Bastians are a primitive race of cannibals.
The Dictionary of Imaginary Places - Alberto Gianni and Manguel Guadalupi

unfabulousxox
07-29-2006, 10:46 AM
"They looked like three-day-old nans. Who would eat these, I wondered."
-Life of Pi by Yann Martel

unfabulousxox
07-30-2006, 02:34 AM
"An administrative assistant at Prufrock Preparatory School"
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Hostile Hospital by Lemony Snicket

FreeStyle
08-27-2006, 07:21 AM
"Some of these feminists married; some did not."

The Twentieth Century: A People's History
by Howard Zinn

persiphone_hellecat
08-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Way to go Freestyle! Keep exploring the threads here. You will be surprised at how much you can expand your thinking while goofing off here. Enjoy them!

maddythemad
08-27-2006, 09:18 AM
(C) more talented than writers of mainstream fiction
~ The Official SAT Study Guide

How weird is it that out of thousands of questions in this book, the specific one on page 59, five lines down, portains to writing-- and not even in a "where-should-the-comma-go-in-this-sentence" kind of way?

Ugh. This reminds me. I've got to start studying. :(

kdnxdr
08-27-2006, 10:54 AM
"If you are looking through a window at an interesting scene all that you ask of the glass is that it be invisible, that it does not intrude itself upon your eyes or your thoughts in any way."

How to Write Short Stories
L Josephine Bridgart
The Writer's Digest

I have bookcases on my computer desk with about 40-50 books staring me in the face at this moment asking "why didn't you pick me?"

Serena Casey
08-30-2006, 08:07 AM
antalkali - a substance that neutralizes an alkali or counteracts alkalinity

Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition

Firefly
08-31-2006, 03:26 AM
The point in textbook reading is to do it smarter.

The Princeton Review, Reading Smart: Advanced Techniques for Improved Reading

civilian chic
08-31-2006, 03:48 AM
"Milwaukee built special bathhouses for newly-arriving immigrants, and other town councils voted to distribute chloride of lime to the poor, who were believed most susceptible."
--Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey by Lillian Schlissel

(the phone book was actually closer, but how interesting is that? "Burry-Trice Architects, 815 NW 13th...")

FreeStyle
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
"Then I edge closer and inspect the contents of my girlfriend's sleeping mind."

The Sadness of Sex by Barry Yourgrau

Soccer Mom
09-05-2006, 06:38 AM
"They were old women."

Ghosts I have been by Richard Peck

Mandy-Jane
09-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Fall to this day; in the Thought is the Fall; in the Heart the Atonement.

The Poetical Works of Longfellow published by Oxford University Press.

(an antique book from 1921 - I love it!)

DamaNegra
09-07-2006, 04:44 PM
"Dirá alguno que ya estaban acostumbrados a vivir en Roma cuando Fimbria asoló Ilión; pero, ¿dónde estaba el simulacro de Minerva?"

"Some will say that they were already used to living in Rome when Fimbria destroyed Ilión; but, ¿where was the drill of Minerva?"

The City of God, San Agustín.

What? I'm in the library!

Angelinity
09-07-2006, 05:07 PM
"Yeah," I said, and went on reading. If this was a book for masters only, I didn't want to let go of it.

Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard bach.

FreeStyle
09-08-2006, 05:09 AM
You understand, I would not grudge a man
right mourning when he comes to death and doom:
what else can one bestoy on the poor dead? -
a lock of hair sheared, and a tear let fall.

The Odyssey by Homer

Jackie B.
09-11-2006, 02:12 AM
"I was only too well aware that I had a lot to learn about apprehension."

One For The Money...Janet Evanovich

K1P1
09-11-2006, 03:34 AM
Or possibly, of course, thy are the wrong glasses.

Whose Body, Dorothy L. Sayers.

FreeStyle
09-15-2006, 07:31 AM
The share of transactions with international characteristics can, in principle, provide a good indicator of the exposure to such influences.

Managing the Global Economy ed. by Jonathan Michie and John Grieve Smith.

littlewriter
09-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Adults don't play in the park; children do.

How to get Ideas by Jack Foster

WerenCole
09-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Estudiate 1: Y to direccion de correo electronico?

From the spectacular Vistas: Introduccion a la lengua espanola

Find it at a book store near you (and sell it back for much less than it is worth)

FreeStyle
09-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Not a book but a magazine.

"Forgiven for her sins, molded by tragedy, Janet will manage to find, in the depths of her infant soul, even greater admiration for her beloved than before, much to the disappointment and eventual alienation of her mother."

Happyland: Part IV by J. Robert Lennon (center column)
Harper's Magazine, October 2006 issue.

DamaNegra
09-16-2006, 10:32 PM
"It is probable that this is the reason why women live longer than men, who don't open up to friends with the same trust women do."

"Guide to be perfectly lazy." Suzzane Cane y Olivera.

Angelinity
09-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Give a Taurus the basics - good food, sex, a nice home and money in the bank - and they will rarely cause a problem.

"Your Personal Horoscope 2007" by Joseph Polansky

Provrb1810meggy
09-16-2006, 11:12 PM
"After all, A starving family goes out to beg for food but on their way out the front door they find food on their doorstep isn't much of a story."
Writing Fiction: The Practical Guide from New York's Acclaimed Creative Writing SChool Gotham Writers' Workshop Staff

eldragon
09-16-2006, 11:19 PM
But Ruth's answer was, "I can't stand sick people. They are depressing."

Cocktails! Ten Years as a Las Vegas Cocktail Server by Pamela Veselinovic.

dancingandflying
09-17-2006, 04:04 AM
In modern times a great deal of nonsense is talked about masters and disciples and about the inheritance of a master's teaching by favorite pupils, entitling them to pass the truth on to their adherents.

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones: A Collection of Zen and Pre-Zen Writings
Compiled by Paul Reps

;D
dancingandflying.

Loria Amnekia
09-17-2006, 08:58 AM
He set off at a brisk pace, past an empty inn and a few houses.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince By J.K. Rowling

DamaNegra
09-17-2006, 09:43 PM
¿What does the sense of cause and effect consist on? (ugly translation from Spanish)

"Literatura Universal" Alicia Correa Perez.

eldragon
09-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Meditation has been used as a clinical intervention for self-regulation, self-exploration, and self-liberation.

Dream Your Problems Away by Dr. Richard Goldberg.

wyntermoon
09-17-2006, 10:14 PM
"You should get what you pay for when purchasing jasmine, a cheap alternative is not the thing to buy for therapeutic use."

-Aromatherapy for Women & Children
Jane Dye

chrysalnix
09-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Why could he not have a woman of his own instead of these filthy scuffles at intervals of years?

George Orwell

wyntermoon
10-09-2006, 03:36 AM
Music like the melody meledy and blues (when played to a lively beat) fits right into a jug band format.

The Curious Kids' Activity Book - Boredom Busters
Avery Hart & Paul Mantell

johnnycannuk
10-09-2006, 05:25 AM
'Well, we were both dreamers, I suppose'

John LeCarre, 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'

AdamH
10-09-2006, 08:58 AM
“Rolls” Royce Kennedy stared at his own tired reflection in the shiny gold surface of a military plaque on his home office wall.
-My WIP tentatively titled Corpus Christi.
(Currently on Page 59 fifth line but that could change :) )

Cyjon
10-10-2006, 02:55 AM
If your doctor cannot immediately recommend a neurosurgeon, chances are he can find out this information by making one or two phone calls.

Hydrocephalus: A Guide for Patients, Families & Friends by Chuck Toporek & Kellie Robinson

KimJo
10-10-2006, 03:03 AM
Later Ellie told me they all went to the Denny's on Route 13 (Benji's favorite), ordered Southern Slams (Benji's staple), and stole their coffee mugs (Benji's classic pastime).

Bringing up the Bones by Lara M. Zeises

Kentuk
10-10-2006, 05:47 AM
So they spread out their wet things on the floor, and got dry ones out of their bundles; then they made their blankets comfortable, got out their pipes and blew smoke rings.

Everyone here has read this at least once.

Kentuk

Angel_Of_The_Morning
10-10-2006, 10:29 AM
"Filled gears and pulleys and wires and an elaborate computer system."

A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

janetbellinger
10-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Boston Cream 1/4 of 11 3/4 cake 290 [calories.}
Barbara Kraus, "Calories and Carbohydrates."

Scarlett_156
10-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Dealing with conflict. (It's a chapter heading, lol.)

"Tantra for the West" by Marcus Allen

brianm
10-11-2006, 11:18 PM
"It is now not a question of slavery or anti-slavery. It is not even a question of union or disunion. The question simply is whether Northern men will fight." This is the way Harper's Weekly introduced the Civil War to it's readers.

Civil War in Pictures, arranged with commentary by Fletcher Pratt

K1P1
10-13-2006, 11:13 PM
12) In the Sales Tax Preferences window, decide whether or not you want to mark our taxable items...

- Quickbooks Startup and Quick Reference Guide

Susan Flemming
10-13-2006, 11:19 PM
They observe things happening around them and evaluate them, but they usually feel that they have no control whatsoever about the belief that is forumulating within them.
Ask and It is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires by Esther and Jerry Hicks

kdnxdr
10-14-2006, 10:40 PM
"He couldn't understand why he kept telling her lies, except that he liked getting physical with Sara."

the young man in the mirror - a rite of passage into manhood
Patrick Morley

Godfather
10-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Falls the shadow

T.S Eliot - The Hollow Men

Eveningsdawn
10-14-2006, 11:52 PM
"The names on the drawer labels were in Assassin's code, but visitors from outside the Guild were generally sufficiently unnerved not to accept a drink."

Men at Arms, Terry Pratchett

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-14-2006, 11:54 PM
"Xerox has determined that all Xerox health plan options available to you - with the exception of the High Deductible health plan option or if you opt out/waive medical coverage with Xerox - on average for all plan participants, are expected to pay out as much as the standard Medicare prescription drug coverage."

Matter of Choice 2007 Enrollment Guide, Xerox Benefit Services

Mandy-Jane
10-17-2006, 04:26 PM
In between, there are always words.

The Writing Book, Kate Grenville

J. Weiland
10-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Nothing he could achieve would ever be the right idea, or enough.

Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood

Jack_Roberts
10-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Once they were free of Steve's influence, safe somewhere he couldn't find them, I could focus on business entirely.

Cirque Du Freak "Sons of Destiny" (book 12) by Darren Shan

DeborahM
10-25-2006, 09:53 PM
No standardized system is in place across the U.S.; however, most would argue that forensic pathologists have the training prefered for performing autopsies in crimina cases. Techniques of Crime Scene Investigation, Seventh Edition, Barry A.J. Fisher

bookgeek
10-25-2006, 10:30 PM
The book nearest me only had about 30 pages. So I picked the last page:

Before too long our hostess knew
Each bug who crawled or hopped or flew
And all their lovely children too.

Miss Spider's Tea Party, David Kirk

....I need better reading material.

PenelopePitstop
11-15-2006, 01:04 AM
While I was performing this service, she said: 'O.J. Berman's in town, and listen, I gave him your story in the magazine.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - by Truman Capote

Richard Armour
11-15-2006, 01:21 AM
"I felt cold inside."
The E Myth Revisited
By Michael Gerber

KODB
11-15-2006, 04:26 AM
Adjectives--cold, cool; chill, chilly; gelid, frigid, frozen, algid; fresh, keen;bleak, raw, inclement; bitter, biting, cutting, nipping, piercing, pinching;

The New American Roget's College Thesaurus in Dictionary Form

Vescoiya
11-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Drives home. Goes to bed.

Dead Souls by Ian Rankins

Badboy
11-24-2006, 09:13 AM
They are flavorfull raw, even more delicious rosted, and have a delicately nutty sweetness when pounded into a powder and baked.

How To Stay Alive In The Woods- Bradford Angier

Foinah
11-24-2006, 10:24 AM
"I hated her too much to miss her."
Son of a Witch - Gregory Maguire

JeanneTGC
11-25-2006, 01:37 AM
anker: angk'er, n an old measure for wines and spirits used in N Europe, varying considerably (that of Rotterdam 8 1/2 imperial gallons). [Du]

The Chambers Dictionary (one of my favorite books ;) )

dahmnait
11-28-2006, 04:48 AM
"A little while ago I turned on a local classical music station and Pachelbel overwhelmed me with grief and I began to sob."

The Last Precinct by Patricia Cornwell

Lissa
11-30-2006, 10:23 PM
"I mean, isn't there a class about not spending your rent money on hookers or something?"

You Suck by Christopher Moore (ARC)

truelyana
12-02-2006, 01:47 AM
"by or for such a person"

Oxford Paperback Dictionary Thesaurus & Worldpower Guide by Oxford University Press

Julie Worth
12-02-2006, 02:08 AM
"It is never old-fashioned to take an honest portrait," my father said.

Earthly Possessions, Anne Tyler

Fingers
12-05-2006, 08:32 AM
This will ensure a minimum of chip interference with the storage mechanism and a maximum of tool protection.

Introduction to Computer numerical control
chapter 4-7 Automatic Tool Changer Systems

Aside from a road atlas thats the first book on my desk shelf.

Jewel101
12-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Acute alcoholism mainly affects the CNS but may induce reversible hepatic and gastric changes.

truelyana
12-05-2006, 05:24 PM
"thought i had got over this in my thirties and forties, but now i realize i am still" Beyond Tantra Mieke & Sephan Wik

WildScribe
12-11-2006, 10:34 PM
"I'm not saying you should learn big words to impress readers; I', saying you should learn big words to increase your arsenal as a writer."

The First Five Pages, by Noah Lukeman

lilyteague
12-13-2006, 07:10 AM
There is a step by step, five question process the SSA uses to determine disability.

Ask Suze about Social Security, Suze Orman

benbradley
12-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Kenny blamed it on the loss of his cue, re-entered retirement, and left Braga's cursing about cues and smart-aleck kids and life in general.

Old Songs in a New Cafe by Robert James Waller.

Gray
12-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Whoever will come after me will have to die to all definitions of self,...

Channeling By Jon Kilmo

wyntermoon
12-20-2006, 07:49 AM
People were locked out of rooms, household items vanished, windows were broken, furniture was moved, odd sounds were heard and much much more.

-- The Ghost Hunter's Guidebook by Troy Taylor

MMcC
12-20-2006, 09:25 AM
"No sh*t, Sherlock!" She knew she was telling him too much, but she couldn't stop herself-- she was too damned mad.

Spellbinder by Melanie Rawn

lfraser
12-20-2006, 12:14 PM
It is a fantasy because fantasy is the natural, the appropriate, language for the recounting of the spiritual journey and the struggle of good and evil in the soul.

The Language of the Night

Ursula K. Leguin

AllyWoof
12-21-2006, 08:15 PM
"I'm only asking for one hour."
Velocity by Dean Koonts

4rum
12-25-2006, 03:16 AM
Keyboard filled with love.
Life's Echo
Sonja Smolec

endless
12-26-2006, 10:53 AM
"You must prove to be stronger than the beast within you," she answered. "The man must endure what the beast cannot."

The Untamed One
Ronda Thompson

jester
01-03-2007, 06:40 AM
"When Lemaitre first proposed the Big Bang Theory," Vitto

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

truelyana
01-03-2007, 07:41 AM
"Corelflow 3 from Corel, the world leader in graphics software"

Software Guide by Packard Bell

jodiodi
01-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Charities of Hope

Naked Pictures of Famous People / Jon Stewart

endless
01-06-2007, 10:12 AM
"The short staff (meaning an ordinary staff between 8 - 9 feet) has four wards, which is two with the point up and two with the point down."

Fighting With the Quarterstaff / David Lindholm

WildScribe
01-26-2007, 10:54 AM
She hesitated.

I, Elizabeth, Rosalind Miles

Sohia Rose
01-26-2007, 07:18 PM
" ... Often, the leg cramps she experienced––a side effect of Thorazine––were the problem ..."

Saving Millie: A Daughter's Story of Surviving her Mother's Schizophrenia by Tina Kotulski

mooncars
01-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Indiana Atlas And Gazetteer

Charlestown,Rolling Hills, Vesta, Owen, Sunset Village, Westport, Oldham, Pendleton, Sulphur.

finch
01-27-2007, 12:23 AM
"The eyeless creature at the other table swallowed it fanatically, passionately, with a furious desire to track down, denounce, and vaporize anyone who should suggest that last week the ration had been thirty grams."

1984, George Orwell

TrainofThought
01-27-2007, 07:50 AM
prison?"

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

san_remo_ave
01-27-2007, 09:36 AM
"Managers coached to follow human relations principles may still harbor Theory X notions of the world and be unable or unwilling to credibly communicate recognition and support to employees."
Organizational Communication, edition 2e, Alan J Zaremba

Yep, I'm studying. This is not my idea of leisure reading....

JB_Finesse
02-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Just my luck to have this book next to me...

"It was getting dark in Oakland, the rest of the team had already gone into the showers, the coach was inside speaking sagely with a gaggle of local sportswriters, somewhere beyond the feild-fence a big jet was cranking up its afterburners on the airport runway...and herw was the owner of the flakiest team in pro football, running around on a half-dark practice field like a king-hell speed freak with his quarterback and two other key players, insisting that they run the same goddamn play over and over again until they had it right." The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson

Holy shit, that was a long one.

jdkiggins
02-01-2007, 07:50 AM
The person who reads your book will be the agent herself.

The Insider's Guide to Getting An Agent by Lori Perkins

Thump
02-01-2007, 08:23 AM
"It never requires premeditation, and reflection enters in only for the purpose of classification, which we shall take up later."

Ferdinand de Saussure, "Course in General Linguistics" in Literary Theory: an Anthology second edition, eds. Rivkin, Julie and Michael Ryan, Oxford: Blackwell, 2004

Fascinating...I know... -_-*

Pthom
02-01-2007, 10:06 AM
" '... Now this part of the city is one of the more exclusive ones.' "

L. E. Modesitt, Jr. The Ethos Effect

tlblack
02-01-2007, 10:23 AM
The edge of the whirl was represented by a broad belt of gleaming spray; but no particle of this slipped into the mouth of the terrific funnel, whose interior, as far as the eye could fathom it, was a smooth, shining, and jet-black wall of water, inclined to the horizon at an angle of some forty-five degrees, speeding dizzily round and round with a swaying and sweltering motion, and sending forth to the winds an appalling voice, half shriek, half roar, such as not even the mighty cataract of Niagara ever lifts up its agone to Heaven.

"A Descent into the Maelstrom" from The Complete Tales of Edgar Allan Poe.

FreeStyle
05-27-2007, 08:44 AM
"The survivors relocated to the mountaintop called Monte Alban and began constructing defensive walls, some 3 kilometers in length."

Beyond War, by Douglas P. Fry

DeborahM
05-27-2007, 08:50 AM
"Donadeo crossed to the hell-hole door."

The Ghost of Flight 401
John G. Fuller

Cassie
05-27-2007, 09:03 AM
....."A common mistake is to panic and cut areas that can actually be helpful in landing another job." ......

Career Comeback, Bradley G. Richardson

FreeStyle
05-27-2007, 09:35 AM
"They sensed that what all the doctors were leaving off was that she should be comfortable because the end was not far away."

All Aunt Hagar's Children, by Edward P. Jones

dub
05-28-2007, 02:31 PM
"Progressive adjectives: his, her."
The Basic Oxford Picture Dictionary ESL book

MissAimee
05-28-2007, 04:46 PM
"Marriage vows are scared to her"

45 master characters, victoria lynn schmidt

scarletpeaches
05-28-2007, 05:36 PM
"At that time police officers were very poorly paid, so a chance of overtime was rarely turned down."

Wicked Beyond Belief, Michael Bilton

(The above sentence is actually spread over three lines).

janetbellinger
06-03-2007, 05:46 PM
"This doesn't happen to her, to people like her." - Critical Injuries by Joan Barfoot

Varthikes
06-05-2007, 01:27 AM
"As mentioned last night, several conclusions have been made."
All the Weyrs of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

xaphania
06-05-2007, 01:40 AM
"George went to work on Darv's neglected trees."
Earthsearch by James Follett

jhtatroe
06-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Mr. Thorn glances at the clock.
--The Story of My Face by Kathy Page

Jersey Chick
06-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Figures...

Einio - anvil....Gilifieu - son of Taran, myth name

Character Naming Sourcebook

Celtic names, if anyone cares. I just started a new WIP :D

myscribe
06-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Do not use deaf and dumb.

--Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual (1998), ed. Norm Goldstein

rosebud1981
06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
'And without unopposed Satanic influences-'

From Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

LaceWing
06-14-2007, 09:15 AM
It could even be lust after understanding, greed for certain subtle states of mind or peak experiences, or grasping after complimentary self images like "I'm a good meditator."

A Gradual Awakening; Chapter 10, The Hindrances
Stephen Levine

janetbellinger
06-21-2007, 06:21 AM
"The next time I saw him smile unabashedly like that was twenty-six years later, in a faded Polaroid photograph."

- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

akiwiguy
06-21-2007, 01:56 PM
"I had to meet this Balzary sister."

- Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis

UKREVIEWER
06-22-2007, 01:19 PM
"...floor of a pub for the night".

How NOT to make it in the pop world: Diary of an almost has-been by John Barrow. (Reviewing).

JJ Cooper
06-22-2007, 02:27 PM
This book doesn't have that many pages, so I took the last line.

Then Tigger taught everyone to bounce - even Rabbit!

The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh.

Just finished reading it for my boy.

JJ

TrainofThought
06-24-2007, 12:20 AM
“Alleys to our left led down the sides of great warehouses to the wharves and, my goodness, some of the grand houses were just what you might see in Amsterdam, the same decoration, the same tiles, everything.”

The Painter by Will Davenport

Chumplet
06-24-2007, 03:18 AM
Well, there were three books piled on top of each other on a small table here in the living room. So I'll give all three, just to show the diversity:

A voice behind me said with goose-bumpy menace, "Stand still and raise your hands." - SECOND WIND, Dick Francis

A girl at the foot of the steps kept them supplied with water, and sang while she filled the jar. - BEN HUR, Lew Wallace

On fur-trading forays, he explored and mapped much of the western Plains and the Rockies. - TRUE NORTH STRANGE AND FREE, Philomena Hurley-Rutherford

licity-lieu
06-24-2007, 05:50 AM
'You seen it. Cash is fixing to nail her, but you seen it.'

As I Lay Dying--William Faulkner

CatSlave
06-24-2007, 05:59 AM
"Yet when Ivanushka had asked his father whether such treachery was not a sin, Igor had only told him, grimly, that it was sometimes necessary to lie."

Russka: The Novel of Russia by Edward Rutherfurd

Tanja Gustavsson
04-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Briefly she wondered how much they were now wagering on who she would chose as her next protector.

The Righteous by Jenna Maclaine

talkwrite
04-01-2010, 08:16 PM
The man for whom the law exists-the man of forms, the Conservative, is a tame man. Henry David Thoreau
Websters Pocket Quotation Dictionary

archerjoe
04-01-2010, 08:30 PM
But he didn't discover that restaurant.

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

Lavern08
04-01-2010, 09:14 PM
"...and God spake unto Moses and said unto him, I am the Lord."

Holy Bible - Exodus 6:2

CatSlave
04-02-2010, 12:42 AM
"Here were Brunelleschi's models for the Duomo, Fra Angelico's drawings of saints for San Marco, Masacchio's sketches for the church of the Carmine, a trove that staggered the boy."

The Agony and the Ecstacy, a biographical novel of Michelangelo
by Irving Stone

Chris P
04-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Ha! I love seeing old threads coming back to life.

"As has been discussed previously, most developing solvents in partition chromatography are two-phase systems or mixtures of miscible organic solvents."

Paper Chromatography and Paper Electrophoresis, 2nd ed., edited by Block, Durrum and Zweig, copyright 1958. Probably time to modernize my lab, huh?

mmule
04-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Wow, a 3 year old thread resurrected by those who would play in this playground today.

"I was near the end of my rewrites, and I needed to know the particulars about Inauguration Day."

Author 101: Bestselling Book Publicity--Frishman & Spizman

LaurieD
04-02-2010, 01:20 AM
"I'd say it sounded like I was on the verge of tears."

The Laughing Corpse, Laurell K. Hamilton

Albedo of Zero
04-02-2010, 02:46 AM
The whole 5th line was the middle of a sentence.

"...the lost kids I haul out of the hills were born right here..."

The Jinx of Payrock Canyon by Troy Nesbit

(the closest books happen to be on the kids' table)

stormie
04-02-2010, 02:55 AM
ap-opto-sis/, (some gobbly-gook along with the pl. and n. and etymology "fr.")
--Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition

I have an exciting bookshelf above this computer.

Chris P
04-02-2010, 02:59 AM
Conifers became more abundant, probably because they could colonize dry land.

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils.

backslashbaby
04-02-2010, 05:16 AM
"The Mbutu make just one: a door, facing the neighbors they like best."

Cesar Aira, Ghosts

Preacher'sWife
04-08-2010, 09:39 PM
"It was the cell phones, all right."

Stephen King, Cell

Cella
04-08-2010, 09:44 PM
"...more difficult for the bacteria normally living in the back of the..."
How To Talk To Your Child's Doctor, Christopher M. Johnson, MD

archerjoe
04-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Brushing the dough with egg yolk results in a lustrous shiny top after baking.

Betty Crocker's Cookbook, 8th edition

Snowstorm
05-13-2010, 08:25 PM
"Do you know any counting rhymes, for example?"

Love Over Scotland, by Alexander McCall Smith

Nymtoc
05-13-2010, 08:36 PM
"The flight into the arms of the Christian Right, into blind acceptance of a holy cause, compensates for converts' despair and lack of faith in themselves."

American Fascists, the Christian Right and the War on America, by Chris Hedges

Cranky
05-14-2010, 10:12 PM
"Mal said, 'Sometime back in the Roaring Twenties,' thinking that mano a mano, brain to brain, he'd favor the Dublin street thug over the Harvard Phi Bete.

--The Big Nowhere, James Ellroy

sheadakota
05-14-2010, 10:19 PM
"The only mystery is in the why."

Fallen by Ann Simko

(seriously, it was the only book sitting next to me :tongue)

Nymtoc
05-14-2010, 10:39 PM
We couldn't hear much from this distance--not until he grabbed Mrs. Olsen and hung her over the edge.

James Patterson, Double Cross

iLion
11-02-2010, 08:58 PM
What if the logical operators in the previous sidebar, "Logical Tests Against a Single Value" and "Logical Tests Against a List of Values" could be used not just with a single literal value (such as "F") or a typed list of values (such as "4,2,7 or 'A', 'C', 'F'), but with values brought back by an Oracle query?

Oracle: The Complete Reference.

Exciting stuff, huh?

jilly61
11-02-2010, 09:21 PM
bandmaster n the conductor of a musical, esp brass, band.

Webster's New English Dictionary and Thesaurus

Rebekkamaria
11-02-2010, 09:38 PM
He'd kept only one secret from Nick before: the letters he used to rise up early for and collect from the postbox.

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

Alan_Often
11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
"Why do you tell me this?"

Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini

Nymtoc
11-02-2010, 11:25 PM
"Reaching down with what seemed to me suicidal daring, Holmes simply pulled the fuse from the tin, dropped it on the floor, and rubbed it out with his boot."

The Italian Secretary, by Caleb Carr.

[Not Conan Doyle, but a 2005 novel in which Carr creates a Sherlock Holmes adventure in perfect Doyle style. A good read.]

Noir
12-15-2010, 06:34 PM
"It's literature," he explained, as if to a child.

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman

wyntermoon
12-15-2010, 07:00 PM
"It's no different from what your duties will be once you've started dating, actually."

98 Ways to Find a Great Guy by Elizabeth Hazel Paulson

Nymtoc
12-15-2010, 07:39 PM
"What was his name?"

Nighttime Is My Time by Mary Higgins Clark

Eudoxia
12-16-2010, 12:17 AM
"Remember? No, I don't remember. It was so very long ago."

A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Arc Jerome
12-16-2010, 12:23 AM
"To be humble is to be so sure of one's self and one's mission that one can forego calling excessive attention to one's self and status."

Race Matters by Cornel West

*technically, the second closest book to me. The closest was an atlas.

Zelenka
12-16-2010, 02:02 AM
"He further specified that 'Czech' would become the official state language, German would be used 'on an equal footing with Czech' in matters of administration, before the courts and in parliament; that all public offices would be open to all nationalities; that the voting system would ensure proportional representation for all nationalities; that state-funded schools in all relevant languages would be supplied according to the needs of local children; and that local administration would be conducted 'in the language of the majority of the population'.

From 'Czechoslovakia: The State That Failed' by Mary Heimann.

Does that get some sort of prize for being the longest. sentence. ever.?

LaurieD
12-16-2010, 02:09 AM
Holly had popped out earlier and stopped to shower and change and take care of the mutt, but now it was her time.

Multiple Wounds by Alan Russell

Wind Ann Wise
06-25-2014, 10:10 PM
"Mercedes and the old man rushed to meet the shipowner , and met him at the door. M. Morrel was very pale."

Count of Monte Cristo, Vol 1.- Alexandre Dumas

Nymtoc
06-25-2014, 11:43 PM
"I'm not saying you should use big words to impress readers; I'm saying you should use big words to increase your arsenal as a writer." -- Noah Lukeman, The First Five Pages: A Writer's Guide to Staying Out of the Rejection Pile

iLion
06-26-2014, 12:43 AM
“You are on orders from Him, Michael, remember that.”

Fangtales: Sanctuary, by Kelly Said.

talkwrite
06-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Authority
Phrases A good leader is always a good follower: You can't fight City Hall.
Roget's Thesaurus in Dictionary Form.

scifi_boy2002
06-26-2014, 11:06 PM
"Lafitte boarding the Queen East Indiaman"

The Pirates Own Book by Charles Ellms

This page just had an illustration and one line.

I always have a pirate book nearby.

kellysaid
07-03-2014, 12:58 AM
“You are on orders from Him, Michael, remember that.”

Fangtales: Sanctuary, by Kelly Said.

oh how cool! you quoted my story, thank you iLion! *pirouettes with glee!* :D

Not sure how accurate my eReader is with page numbers but...

"She hates the sun." ~BLACKBIRDS by Chuck Wendig

Dennis E. Taylor
07-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Functions can query data using SELECT statements and can perform DML statements, such as INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE.
-- Oracle Database 11g PL/SQL Programming

[sigh] I'm at work right now...

C.bronco
08-01-2014, 05:50 AM
"I hear where you now live/ it snows year-round."

Neon Vernacular, Yusef Komunyakaa

LynnKHollander
08-05-2014, 07:18 AM
"den Sack schlagen, und des Esel meinen -- to accuse (an innocent) subordinate because one is afraid to go after the boss"
Barron's German Idioms.

Elly_Green
08-05-2014, 05:31 PM
"Honey... it's all right now."

- Kronos by Jeremy Robinson

Jassack
08-05-2014, 05:41 PM
"The USDA and other 'official' opinion makers say that more than two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese because we're inactive and gluttonous."

Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD

00Pepper
08-05-2014, 10:42 PM
"The tray of fresh pasties the woman carried were hot and doubtless savory enough, but Grey's nose was still numbed with oil of wintergreen, and the memory of O'Connell's corpse fresh enough in mind to suppress his appetite."

Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon

MarshyMellowness
08-23-2014, 05:19 AM
Was it a spell cast on the imagination by the witches place?

The Vampire Lestat ~ Anne Rice

CathleenT
08-23-2014, 10:07 PM
He (Grant) came to accept Lee's surrender with the mud still on his uniform, instead of acting like a god and conqueror the way Douglas MacArthur sometimes did when I was vice-president and president, and he ordered the horses to remain with the Confederate troops and told the southerners to keep their sidearms and go home and take care of themselves.

Where the Buck Stops- Harry S. Truman

Nymtoc
08-24-2014, 01:39 AM
Doctors and nurses who treat rape or assault victims often are required to collect physical evidence relating to the assault.

-- Barry A.J. Fisher, Techniques of Crime Scene Investigation, Sixth Edition

M.S. Wiggins
08-24-2014, 02:25 AM
strength of character, character, fortitude, resolve,

-Random House Webster's College Thesaurus
(the word is backbone)

Nikhar
09-29-2014, 07:32 PM
He flicked the gun around in an increasingly negligent manner.

-The Big Sleep, Raymond Chandler

shakeysix
04-25-2015, 04:21 PM
"I hoped to determine if my mother 0f pearl shells lay on the far side of the eastern reef."

Beyond the Reef-- William Travis
published 1959

saiko_neko
05-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Then Ranuccio Tommasoni picked up the razor and came over to him.
The English Patient, Michael Ondaatje

13Clovers
03-24-2016, 05:43 PM
"Well, try not to throw up in here," Josh murmured.
The Magician - Michael Scott

Tazlima
03-24-2016, 06:31 PM
"Cake is the only thing that matters."
Hyperbole and a Half - Allie Brosh

(Full disclosure...there was only one line on that particular page, so this isn't technically the 5th).

CL Polk
03-24-2016, 07:01 PM
I sat and stared at it for a very long time, listening to the rain against the roof and windows, to thunder far away.

Caitlyn R. Kiernan, The Drowning Girl

SWest
03-24-2016, 09:12 PM
"Especially at the most unexpected times."

Lisa Scottoline, Moment of Truth

morngnstar
03-24-2016, 09:37 PM
Slowly describe the other character, which does not want to be seen but leaves a handful of traces.

Brian Kitely, The 3 A.M. Epiphany: Uncommon Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction

SWest
03-24-2016, 11:56 PM
"Item: Marullo was telling me the truth about business, business being the process of getting money."

John Steinbeck, The Winter Of Our Discontent

borogove
10-29-2016, 06:50 PM
"It seems to me these guys consider themselves Romans first, Italians second and Europeans third."

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

[continuing the passage, because the context is amusing]
He corrected me. "No—they are Romans first, Romans second and Romans third. And every one of them is an Emperor."

Cobalt Jade
10-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Does a book-like "special edition" magazine count?

WriterDude
10-29-2016, 08:20 PM
You know I love you the way you are (although I really must cut your hair), but you might be happier if you were less loud."

Jo Simmons
Superloud Sam, The Noisiest Boy in the World

Lillian_Blaire
10-30-2016, 05:11 PM
He looked exactly like he'd swallowed a plate.

Beautiful, by Christina Lauren

Chris P
10-30-2016, 06:15 PM
"Sarah has said that she felt left out around Shane and me on the hike, and now the prison has institutionalized that arrangement." From 2015 Best American Non-Required Reading, from the story "780 Days of Solitude" by Shane Bauer, Josh Fattal, and Sarah Shroud, about three hikers who (might or might not have) illegally crossed the border into Iran and were jailed.

Jason
10-30-2016, 06:43 PM
"Next, the port cost of the SWI-2950 interface fastethernet 0/17 is changed using the spanning-tree cost 2 command"
-CCNA Self-Study CCNA ICND Exam Certification Guide (from 2004...I am such a pack rat! LOL)

SWest
10-30-2016, 06:58 PM
Does a book-like "special edition" magazine count?

The OP seems long gone, so I'll vote "Sure, why not?" :greenie

"Second: recognizing whatever comes up simply as reflections and displays of innate awareness."
-Natural Radiance, Awakening to Your Great Perfection by Lama Surya Das

Chris P
10-30-2016, 07:08 PM
"Unlike many university archives, the Grant Archives are unique in their open policy of access, making available to to the public a plethora of jazz materials for on-site as well as online viewing and listening." Secret Washington DC guidebook.

Lillian_Blaire
10-30-2016, 07:43 PM
(I have a stack of books on my desk beside my computer, so I could be here a while)

"You must know--and let your readers know--which characters are most important to the story, so they'll know which are worth following and caring about, and which will quickly disappear."

Character and Viewpoint, Orson Scott Card

Will Collins
10-30-2016, 11:47 PM
Legend by David Gemmell.

Fantastic book.

Chris P
10-30-2016, 11:55 PM
The conductor said, "Twelve nine. Body under train."

2016 Pushcart Prize anthology, "Telref" by Edward McPherson.

Lillian_Blaire
10-31-2016, 12:49 AM
"The opening is narrow, but I squeeze under it, into the main compartment of the bus."

Mosquitoland, David Arnold

borogove
01-19-2017, 08:07 AM
It tricked me into becoming a star all on my who-gives-a-shit own.

Shockaholic by Carrie Fisher

Albedo
01-19-2017, 08:44 AM
"At presentation -- anion gap can later become normal with NaCl infusion"

Sonic Pathology Handbook, edited by Dr Campbell Lyle

Sorry. It's not even a real sentence.