History of coinage, wearing around neck?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Some historically-early coins were small bronze rounds with holes, which could be strung. "Strings of coins." I've found plenty of information about these coins, their stampings, the countries that used them, the years in which they were made, and so on.

Example: http://www.chinasage.info/money.htm

But I can't find whether strings of coins were ever carried around necks. Or in pockets, or ... how they were carried.

I imagine? they were carried like necklaces? and the coins slipped off the string as needed? That is my idea but I'm not sure if I am making it up?

My idea might be totally wrong. Some sources say that the strings of coins, and not the individual coins, were the unit of currency.

Within my story, it is useful if strings of coins were carried around traders necks, like necklaces. This could impact a fight scene I am writing. but I don't want to write that if it is historically inaccurate.

Does anyone know about this?

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Try a Biblical concordance and the verse about a woman who loses a coin going to find it. They were strung on necklaces and kept on the person to be guarded and used as necessary.

(Luke 15:8-10)

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
That's an interesting source that I hadn't considered. Thanks!

Perhaps I can have coins as pendants of different values (metals?), rather than a long string of heavy coins as a necklace.

Good food for thought.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Belt? Feed a thong through from a leather belt, tie them on.

I think in the main it would depend on how valuable each coin is. If it is an equivalent of a penny, you'd want a string of them in a pocket. If it is the equivalent of a gold sovereign, probably well hidden.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Within my story, it is useful if strings of coins were carried around traders necks, like necklaces. This could impact a fight scene I am writing. but I don't want to write that if it is historically inaccurate.

Is this a historical piece? If so, specifically research the history of that location at that time. If not, why does historical significance come into play? Just make it work in your story.

Coins were strung by merchants and various money lenders, as well as royal treasuries, to make it easy to determine value. There were no bills, so paying $100 dollars meant handing over 100 dollar coins. If strung together and certified as that number, it was the equivalent of a $100 bill.

In most of the later world, accounts were kept by recognized groups, the precursors of banks, so money could change hands with a paper and a seal. The money stayed in the vaults, the paper represented the money. Venitians, as well as groups like the Templars, were big in this industry. Stable governments issued scrip, paper based on a monetary value like gold, which gradually got accepted in world trade. Eventually this paper currency lost its need for backing by precious metals or other value.

Much of the world used coins that could be split, or physically cut, into smaller bits of a lesser value. Pieces of Eight as a prime example. But larger transactions still required a chest of coins or valuables to pass between hands. Hard to stick a dozen chests in your billfold. :)

Jeff

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
In the case of the Chinese they were usually carried on their belts. A standard string of cash usually contained 1,000 coins (it was a unit of currency), but there were also "short strings" that contained fewer. A single coin might be worn around the neck as a good luck charm, but not actual spending money. Too easy to steal.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks All! I think I need to put the strings on a belt.