How do you write a query letter for a short story collection?

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I know these are hard to sell, but I'm giving it a go...first trying an agent who has already expressed interest, but if she doesn't bite, I'll have to move onto others. Do I pick a single story to focus on in the query or just present the collection in more general terms and let them know where the stories have been published?

I sent the manuscript to the interested agent about half an hour ago, and it's my first finished manuscript and my first time sending anything to an agent. If all goes well, I'll never have to write a query! Wish me luck! I've been trying to finish something for her for over two years.

whirlaway

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Flowerburgers,

I sold my short story collection to a small press publisher a few years ago. I already knew the editor, as I had worked on a revision of a short story for him when he was working as an assistant editor at a magazine, so that probably helped me.

Here's what I said:

Dear [editor's name],

[introductory paragraph to remind him who I was and why I was querying him].

My collection, [Title of Collection], is [wordcount] and comprises [# of stories] of [genre]. The publication and award histories of the stories are detailed below. [I pasted a list of each story, its wordcount, where and when it had been published, if it had not been published before, and whether it had won or been nominated for an award.]

[I also made a suggestion of someone [a well-known short story author/editor who had bought a few stories from me in the past] we could ask to write the introduction for the collection].

You might also mention if your stories have a certain theme (e.g. redemption, revenge, etc.). I didn't do that, but the theme of my collection was pretty obvious from the title of the collection and of most of the stories.

I hope that helps.
Good luck with the agent!

-Whirly

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Flowerburgers,

Glad you got a helpful response there.

At the bottom left of this, and every page, is a site specific Google Custom Search Box.

Enter - Query Letter for short story collection - (or whatever phrase you choose) in there and you'll find you get a list of links to threads that have either dealt with or touched upon that topic. Higher the reference number - more recent the thread.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Bufty's giving away all those insider secrets! (And good for him.)

In my experience, when I have a specific question, nearly always it's been asked before if I use the Google site search box. I read previous replies, then either form my new question in light of what I learned or settle back to work because it's been fully answered already.

Maryn, old dog, new tricks

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I got a variety of answers on Google and I wanted to see the consensus here...no need to condescend...whirlaway, thanks, that's great, congrats on your collection.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
flowerburgers, Maryn and Bufty weren't being condescending. And they weren't suggesting using Google itself, but the Google search box specific to Absolute Write at the bottom of the page which will bring up all of the threads at Absolute Write that might have to do with your question.