Status
Not open for further replies.

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
LoJack's website indicates they activate something in a car that sends a silent signal, and police then send up a helicopter to locate the stolen vehicle. And now we have GPS, the global positioning system that uses satellites to triangulate coordinates so we can locate things. I assume that's how Onstar works, but I'm drifting before I even ask my question.

The question: How far back in time would I need to go before car locators, like LoJack, required police to carry something in their police cars that picks up a signal from the stolen car. The police would need to stop, plot the direction the signal comes from on a map, move to another location, plot the signal's direction again, and then do it again from a third location. Where the projected lines cross, there's your car, assuming it hasn't been in motion since the first reading.

What year am I in? Or was that ever the method? Anyone know?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since no one else has replied, I'll just offer an opinion. I doubt they ever did it the way you described unless it was the FBI and there was more to it than just a car being stolen (say, a kidnapping was involved). I don't have any direct knowledge, but I don't remember ever reading or seeing that method used ten or fifteen years ago. That would take a considerable amount of time and manpower; I doubt the police would unless they were trying to break up a known car theft ring.

ac

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
Thanks, alleycat. Yeah, it is a kidnapping/murder investigation, where the police are quite determined to find the car.

Does anyone know how LoJack worked ten years ago?

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
These homing devices were a staple of '80s crimefighter TV shows, but remember - the hero always had to stick the device on the car himself. :)

LoJack has been around in some form for 20 years, though. Your best bet for researching a mid '90s system might be to contact LoJack and ask them yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.