Lyrics contest (deadline passed)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
* OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA BETWEEN THE AGES OF 13 AND 25 YEARS OF AGE.

Are you the ultimate lyricist?

Each week, we'll ask you to write lyrics about a topic, so grab the mic and be the next songstress! After the Alloy editors select two songwriters and posts their lyrics, the audience gets to vote on their favorite song. The person who gains the most votes wins the grand prize, while the other songwriter gets the runner-up prize. Enter your lyrics now!

NOTE:
>From 5/3/06 - 5/16/06: submissions will be collected about BREAKUPS.
>From 5/17/06 - 5/30/06: top two lyricist pieces will be posted at
Alloy.com for readers to vote.
On 5/31/06, the winner is announced.

PRIZE BREAKDOWN - First Prize: Sony video camera w/personalized Cheyenne Kimball message and Sony Bean mp3 player

Second Prize: (5) copies of Cheyenne Kimball's CD

http://www.alloy.com/win/contests/lyrical_cheyenne/index.vm

Last edited:

JRH

practical experience, FTW
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowpoetry.com
Just a question Jenna,

Do you know why they established that age limitation, because I can't help but think that such limits the quality of the submissions as well as those who can enter.

I didn't start writing Song Lyrics until my 40s and have received many HMs and above, both for my Lyrics and for my Songs, in various Song Contests from the mid-80s on, (The lastest being a 2d Prize County in the 2003 Billboard Song Contest for my Song "Standing Room Only".

Those under 25 generally rely on raw emotion and musical skills rather than any craftmanship in Song Writing, (particularly in writing lyrics) and even those who have written fine songs in their youth have generally written their best songs as they've gotten older.

(Compare Paul Anka's "My Way" to his "Diana" or Bobby Darin's "18 Yellow Roses to "Splish Splash" )

I know some of the greats like Lennon, McCartney, Billy Joel, Bobby Dylan and others have written quality Songs throughout their lives, but they're exceptional
by any standards.

JRH

Last edited:

SueB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writeinmaine.com
I agree completely JRH! I graduated from college, with a degree in music, at 32! Started writing 'real' music while in college and have only gotten better since. John Lennon and Paul McCartney certainly got better as time went on too. I believe when they first appeared on Ed Sullivan (which I watched and still remember) they each knew 3 chords on the guitar (Luckily they all knew the same three). Too bad more of the folks, who are making these rules, don't understand "The older the violin, the sweeter the music."