Tomb Raider

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Saw Tomb Raider last night at a midnight show. Had a few plot problems, but I didn't notice them while I was watching. The movie really grabbed me right off and didn't let go. So I'm seeing it again with some friends next week, and I'm sure I won't be bothered by its flaws, the whole appealed so much to me.

Besides the well-done actions sequences, what I really liked is that the character wins by being smart, tough, and relentless, not because she has huge muscles or superpowers. She's someone who'd have your back on the battlefield, real or metaphorical, no matter what danger comes at you.

Want a sequel already!

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
How did the actress compare to Angelina Jolie (when she did the series of movies)?

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
How did the actress compare to Angelina Jolie (when she did the series of movies)?

Funny you should ask that. I streamed the 1st Raider last night for me and some friends. Enjoyed it a lot. Jolie may be neurotic, but she can act, and that added to the movie.

Comparing the two, this new Raider is like seeing a woman just starting out in her career, the old one is like seeing her a decade later when she's matured.

I hope the new Raider makes enough money that they make a sequel.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Funny you should ask that. I streamed the 1st Raider last night for me and some friends. Enjoyed it a lot. Jolie may be neurotic, but she can act, and that added to the movie.

Comparing the two, this new Raider is like seeing a woman just starting out in her career, the old one is like seeing her a decade later when she's matured.

I hope the new Raider makes enough money that they make a sequel.

What?

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i saw it this past weekend. i really enjoyed it. a very good reboot and she's a great successor to Jolie. i'm waiting for a sequel as well.
and the song during the end credits was really cool.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Saw it again today with a friend, since heavy rains here in LA are keeping her from work. Love going in midday midweek, especially the rare rainy day in southern California. We had the theater almost to ourselves.

We watched the 3D version. It was done well, but I suggest only seeing 3D on the big bright screens of IMAX. It was a little too dark, though not so bad we walked out.

I appreciated the realism of the movie even more. It doesn't have the over-the-top feel of many comic-book movies. And Lara wins by using brains not brawn, by being brave, and relentless. The realism was enhanced because Vikander can portray complex emotions subtly though clearly. One of the virtues of having an Oscar-quality actor as the lead.

The ending sets up the possibility of a sequel very well, with a hint or two, not something very obvious. I'm up for it.