Not open for further replies.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Hi, Gang,

I know you haven't seen me for quite a while. I've been a member since I started writing over ten years ago (whuuuut?) and my participation dropped off in the last couple of years because of:

Frustration
Life
500+ queries that went nowhere
Kids
Pets
Jobs
You name it.

I wrote at least three novels since I last commented in Background Check. I got close a few times, but no cigar was awarded.

Last fall, I lost my sister, Cathy Elliott. It was sudden and unexpected. She was two years older than me, and a playwright, composer and stage performer. She created art for stage productions, and worked tirelessly for Indigenous children by teaching them art and music for a non-profit organization here in Ontario.

The last time I saw her was just after our birthdays in June of 2017. I drove the five hours to Ottawa to see her perform in the Opening Night at the National Arts Centre of the poignant musical, Children of God. This was especially important to her, as our grandfather had escaped from a Residential School in the early 20th Century. This play depicted the emotional and physical abuse our Native children suffered as the government tried to "beat the Native out of them."

We had a great visit, I cried through her performance, and drove home the next morning, feeling so proud of her. She was finally making it, after decades of doing Summer Stock, working as an extra, and making do with small jobs.

On October 16th, her long-time partner Leslie managed to get hold of me on my cellphone. I had turned it off (as I do) for the night, and had seen several messages about an emergency.

Cathy had gone out into a (get this) "dark and stormy night" to give Leslie a raincoat since Leslie had gone out to walk the dog. Cathy didn't know that Leslie had seen the weather and decided at the last moment to jump into her car with the dog to run a couple of errands in the nearby town of Alliston.

When Leslie got back, there were police cars stationed at either end of her country road. To make a long story short (yes, this is already a long story), Cathy had encountered two cars coming from opposite directions. Blinded by headlights, one of the drivers hit my sister. She died instantly.

There are several news articles in Canada about the incident.

Fast forward to early last December: Friends and family arranged the most beautiful musical tribute to my sister, and apparently I got lots of laughs during my eulogy. Several hundred people packed the theatre in Toronto. Her songs were showcased, with love and passion.

I haven't really been able to write or paint since. Maybe it's the winter. Maybe it's work. Maybe I just don't feel inspired. I'm hoping to get back into writing, to get an agent, to sell books or art.

I've missed you all. We've gone through a lot of stuff together. We have lost members, gained some, and through it all I still keep in touch with many members through social media in other places.

I love you all. Keep creating.

p.s. If my signature has books, they are currently out of print. I'll fix that ASAP

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've missed seeing you, and am so very sorry for your loss. Wishing you and your family comfort.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Welcome back, Chumplet. I'm so sorry for your terrible loss. It's understandable to lose artistic ability or desire for a time after a punch like that. I'm glad you've found your way back here at least :Hug2:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Your sister sounds like she was a great lady. What a sad thing! If you would like, we will chant for her.

Don't worry about the current loss of interest in writing. It's normal. You're human.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
((((*huggles beloved Chumplet*)))) I'm sorry it has been so hard, but of course it couldn't possibly be easy, given what a wonderful sister and person she was. I'm glad to see you here again.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've certainly had a rough time. My thoughts and sympathies are with you. Welcome back, Chumplet. :Hug2: Slow and easy.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've missed you and hoped all was well with you. I'm so sorry to hear it isn't.We are glad to see you again even so. Losing a sibling is very difficult, of course, but as the days slip past, the memories and loss hurt a little less.

Maryn, with hugs and a cookie

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry for your tremendous loss. It's hard to deal with the empty spaces in one's life that are left by the death of loved ones. She sounds like an incredibly wonderful person, and the world will be a poorer place without her.

And welcome back.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dearest Chumpie,

I'm heartbroken for you, but as everyone else said, your sister was an amazing woman - Even death can't take that away!

Lurve ya, and missed ya, and glad you're (kinda) back. :Hug2:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Bless you, your sister, and your entire family... what a totally, completely, undeniably terrible loss! Glad to see you're back... hang with us; be loud or quiet; be whatever... we're happy you're here.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back. It's good to see you again. Sorry for the difficulties you've been through

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all...this thread is nearly two years old, and Chumplet hasn't been on the site for over a year.

I do hope she's okay. Her Twitter feed is still active.

Status
Not open for further replies.