PDA

View Full Version : Talk shows : Why all the screaming?

dianeP
03-10-2018, 01:47 AM
I'll admit I have a love/hate thing for a few talk shows that play during the day, but I can't stand all the hysterical screaming. I know the audience is encouraged to be lively and enthusiastic, but I don't understand why. Is this meant to make the television viewer more enthusiastic? Does it work? Surely I'm not the only one watching with their finger on the mute button.
Just wondering if anyone out here knows the real reason everyone is so hysterical.

frimble3
03-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Most radio 'talk' shows are the same. They ask leading questions, have 'regulars' that they know will holler and carry on, and cut-off anyone trying to actually say anything (unless what they're saying is likely to agitate another caller).
For actual people talking, you need public television/radio or, in Canada, the CBC. There, the moderators actually moderate and direct the discussion, and stop the shouting.
In general, I think the screaming hysteria is meant to amp up the talkers, and, to make the whole thing sound exciting. Especially if the speakers have nothing much to actually say.