Status
Not open for further replies.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
No kidding. Considering how many bands on that list I like, I'm not about to give them any credibility for not getting Primus.

Though Emerson, Lake and Palmer really did suck.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I took my son to see Primus back in 199?, and they kicked some serious @$$. I can't say the same for the Meat Puppets, who opened up for them. I will read Les' book. Even if it sucks, he'll still be the man.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Meat Puppets sucked? That's disappointing to hear. Being a fan of SST Records bands back in the day, I always figgered they'd be good (though I couldn't actually name a Meat Puppets song if you asked).

I saw Primus about the same time -- my first concert after quitting smoking (how much Nicorette gum can you chew in two hours? Just ask.) Coincidentally, the opening act then - Spiderbait - also bit. They're well-loved over here, but they were just bad live.

Hmmm. Les Claypool or Sting. Les Claypool or Bob Geldof. Les Claypool or Jello Biafra. Les Claypool or Madonna.

This is starting to sound like a must-read.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Primus - am I remembering right that they had an album called Pork Soda?
I remember them from the 90's, my ex-h had one of their albums I think...hhhmm....I'd like to read this book I think.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
The Air is Getting Slippery

Will def. buy that. Les just cracks me up. Damn, I want to get drunk with him. Or go fishing...

Am I the only one who thinks he used to be one of the Residents?

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
poetinahat said:
Hmmm. Meat Puppets sucked? That's disappointing to hear. Being a fan of SST Records bands back in the day, I always figgered they'd be good (though I couldn't actually name a Meat Puppets song if you asked).
They may have been playing the best music ever, but whatever actually made it through the sound system reeked like an onion that's been hiding in the fridge for a few months. To be fair, that was in the early days of my clean and soberness, so it could have been more me than them. Nah, they sucked.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
poetinahat said:
Les Claypool or Jello Biafra.
I was always a fan of Jello Biafra's spoken word stuff (the DK's were a little out of my league at the time). His stories about running for Mayor of San Francisco are a riot. I highly recommend them to anyone.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Funny. . . I am sitting here with my IPOD on listening to Primus. . . Colonel Claypool is a badass. . .

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Primus is another one of those, like the B-52s, that my kids assumed were kid music (like the Muggles) and play our old CDs of them all the time. It makes for an interesting selection when they've got Sesame Street Greatest Hits, The Muppets, and Primus on shuffle.

We had the same real estate agent as two of the guys in Primus. My brush with greatness.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
paprikapink said:
It makes for an interesting selection when they've got Sesame Street Greatest Hits, The Muppets, and Primus on shuffle.
My 2-year-old niece's current playlist includes Barbie Fairytopia and Fallout Boy. I can only imagine what it's doing to her poor little brain.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting turn this thread is taking: my 3-year-old daughter likes The Wiggles, Los Mocosos, and Squirrel Nut Zippers.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
i'm sure we'll get the book, just cause we like to collect that sort of thing.

my oldest son's first... sentence?, at just under 2 yrs old, was "I am Iron Man, nananananananananana"

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very old. Where's my Rudy Vallee 78s?

Maryn, thumping her cane

P.S. At least I know who Maynard is.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
madderblue said:
Am I the only one who thinks he used to be one of the Residents?
There is a similarity in style. The Residents are still around.

paprikapink said:
Primus is another one of those, like the B-52s, that my kids assumed were kid music (like the Muggles) and play our old CDs of them all the time. It makes for an interesting selection when they've got Sesame Street Greatest Hits, The Muppets, and Primus on shuffle.
Primus is one of those bands I NEVER let my kids listen to. Not until they're older. Are you thinking of the same band I am? The songs I've listened to are full of double-entrendres and such.

But then I become a prude around my kids.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Shadow_Ferret said:
There is a similarity in style. The Residents are still around.

No way! I've been half-heartedly trying to find evidence to prove my case. No one here believes me. Heck, I even swore Snakefinger was also Buckethead, that is until I found out that Snakefinger died. Shock. Okay, time to do some serious googling.

Status
Not open for further replies.