How do multi-book deals work (WRT fiction)?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Let's say, your agent has great connections and salesmanship and lands you a five-book deal with a major publisher with the sale of your first novel. How, exactly, does that work?

Do you have to outline each of the four unfinished books for the publisher's approval? How much leeway on the plot are you allowed once you've provided an outline?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I odn't know about a five book deal but I did get a two-book deal for my second novel. I got the deal based on a partial ms for the second book only. I only submitted the partial for the third book when that (no 2) was finished. There was no previous discussion before I began writing it.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
DeadlyAccurate said:
Let's say, your agent has great connections and salesmanship and lands you a five-book deal with a major publisher with the sale of your first novel. How, exactly, does that work?

Do you have to outline each of the four unfinished books for the publisher's approval? How much leeway on the plot are you allowed once you've provided an outline?

I've never heard of a writer landing a five book deal, though some famous series writers have what amount sto this and more. But generally speaking, book deals come in sizes of one, two, and three.

How they work differs almost every time. Sometimes the publishers want to see an outline for each book, sometimes not. Sometimes advances are lumped together, sometimes not. (Not better for the writer if the books sell well at all.)

But in my experience, such deals differ so much from writer to writer, and from publisher to publisher, that it's almost impossible to say "This is how it works."

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Huh, that's interesting. Thanks! (I don't even have an agent yet, so this was mostly just one of those curiosity things. How things work on the other side of the fence, so to speak.)