• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Pros and cons of dictation?

Zoe R

Fluffhead! Fluffy fluffy head!
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone use dictation to keep writing while they can't be at a keyboard? Like on a commute while driving, or washing dishes, etc? Does your writing come out really different if you do this? Just curious if any of you have tried or do this regularly. Thanks!

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Using dictation does not come naturally to me, so I type things out on my computer instead.

Zoe R

Registered
Reaction score
Using dictation does not come naturally to me, so I type things out on my computer instead.

Right... I was more thinking when you couldn't be at a keyboard, but your brain is still available lol - phones are pretty good these days at dictation :)

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
If an idea jumps into my mind I shoot myself an email about it. Kind of a reminder thing. That's as far as I go there

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
It works for some people, not so much for others, I imagine.

Me, I have a minor speech impediment and hate the sound of my own voice, plus I like my ideas to bounce around in my head without leaking out my mouth-hole before they make their way to my typing fingers. And I think better when typing or writing. But I know several authors apparently still dictate their stuff, either to capture ideas or to actually write the story (with Dragon software.)

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I think like everything else in writing there is what works for you and what doesn't. Dictation isn't my thing so I normally carry a notebook with me and if it's not at hand (for example walking down the streets) I normally use the Notes App on my phone. That's what works for me.

tharris

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't but Siri is pretty accurate with speech-to-text I've found. This is an interesting idea to be dictating while driving. I'm not sure I could ever speak fluently enough to make it work for more than a sentence or two. I could see doing it for quick ideas or stream of consciousness stuff.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I wrote a short story using Windows' speech recognition once. It worked but I'm much more comfortable typing. If necessary I'll write in a Google Doc on my phone before I'd dictate. (I really wouldn't want to dictate in public, though I have dictated a couple of notes while walking the dog).

Zoe R

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't but Siri is pretty accurate with speech-to-text I've found. This is an interesting idea to be dictating while driving. I'm not sure I could ever speak fluently enough to make it work for more than a sentence or two. I could see doing it for quick ideas or stream of consciousness stuff.

Yeah, I was definitely thinking of my iPhone lol, since I almost always have it on me when I'm away from the keyboard. I tend to think in sentences when brainstorming about my book away from my computer, but I feel like the moment I open my mouth I will mess it all up - I think differently when talking maybe? But I haven't given it a fair shake yet - so far it doesn't seem like many people do it though!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm a pretty visual person. I need to see the words in front of me to get them down in a cogent way. Maybe it's just what I'm used to, but I imagine that if I tried to dictate prose from the top of my head, I'd end up rambling and repeating myself and losing my train of thought a lot more than I do when writing. And it would be distressing not to be able to see a sentence I just wrote in front of me to check if it makes sense or not before going on.

Of course, dictating coherently might be yet another skill that one can improve with lots of practice, but verbally telling a story from scratch feels like it comes from a very different part of my brain than writing does. I think I'm a very different person in writing than I am when I speak.