Question about the erotic market

Quiller

Registered
Reaction score
I have in the past written hard core erotica that was published for pay. Not much pay, but pay. Candidly, hard core is fun to write.The pay was limited and slow in coming. I also had a story genuinely stolen. Erotica publishers can be a bit of lowlifes, and some of the people who work there can be not necessarily corporate achiever wannabe's. Still, the stuff was fun to write and not just the sex but the emotions of the characters.I wrote a novel on spec for a particular publisher, but they didn't buy it. I tried a couple of other houses, but in short order found there are very few erotica publishers. I dropped the effort and redoubled my corporate efforts.Now, I would like to try again. My question is this: If someone wanted to make a few thou a year writing erotica (and were willing to make the effort required) would one aim at the novel market? Or the letters market? Or the stories market? Or what market? It appears e-zine stuff pays nothing at all.I suspect novels can pay the best, but other than hanging out at bus terminal newsstands (typically there is no more than one bus terminal in a town), how does one identify erotica novel publishers?What's the market potential?

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
You might want to try desdmona.com or ruthiesclub...not sure if that's the exact spelling... but Ruthie's pays $45 per story...they have to be at least 3,500 words long. Hope this helps.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Have you checked out the listings at ERWA (Erotica readers and writers association)? You could earn that amount fairly easily in the area I know best (erotic romance) if you can write that genre, but I am told that the higher paying hard core markets have been shrinking pretty steady with the onslaught of the internet.

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
Another good resource is the Naughty Words blog. It hasn't been updated in a while, but you should check out the links.

CrimsonsErotica

Starting off slow here with marketing. Have been writing for years, and thought it would be impossible to get published. I did my first book at Lulu, which prints on demand. It is nice to at least see the work in book form. They also have a marketing package which will get you listed in Books In Print and will get a listing on Amazon. (Cost about $35) Not much, but a start. There are several authors there with several books, so they must be doing fairly well (not a living, but a bit on the side I imagine)

The nice thing about it is there are no costs. Any comments or thoughts on Lulu? This is my first book there.

(By the way, in case you want to see it....hint hint....you can look it up there, but I won't blatantly spam here...lol....use Bella as a search word)

Anyway, I would love to see my book on the shelves next to Ann Rice's Beauty series at Barnes and Noble, but for now, this will do.

DianneE

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, Lulu isn't the way to go for this sort of material. Lulu basically depends on you to do the marketing, and you as an author a) don't have the kind of relationships with booksellers needed to get your books on shelves, and b) should be writing your next book instead of marketing your last one, if you're not a one-trick pony.

I'd suggest an established publisher for almost any fiction project.

veinglory and Lee, thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

I'm new to erotica writing, but $45 for a 3,500 word story seems awfully low. Has anyone had experience with short story markets that pay more, or are novels the way to go if you want to make money at this game?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Short stories aren't terribly profitable for me. Novella and up seems to make decent money just from royalties. I agree that in a market like erotica there isn't too much call for self-publishing.

Markets are pretty specific to content, romantic, kinky?

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to the genre as well, and I noticed that short story markets don't pay well.

I do know that Good Vibes Weekly pays $100/story. You can read their guidelines here.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Lee_OC...

Your post is most helpful...I'll have to check out Good Vibes...see what they're about.

DianneE...I would have to agree with you on that one... $45.00 for a 3,500 word story isn't very much.

I'll definitely keep Good Vibes in mind.